Wich is more reliable glock or gp100

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by rugernut, Dec 4, 2011.

1. rugernut

rugernut New Member

Just want some opineans

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

You have to give more information if you want my OPINION.

Maintenance of firearms, quality of ammo, situations for usage, etc....

Both are reliable firearms if properly maintained.

3. ANGRYcanary

ANGRYcanary New Member

I have owned and shot a few pistols, in my opinion, TECHNICALLY SPEAKING, a revolver will always be more "reliable" than an automatic due to only one fact. Jamming.
    Now that being said, Let me add that Glocks are EXTREMELY reliable pistols and I will be purchasing a Glock 20 (10mm) this January, I currently own the Ruger GP100 but, and it's a very DEFINITIVE but, if had had time to grab only one of the two, it would be, without a doubt the GLOCK. I also am in love with the Colt Combat Commander, for it has been battle proven for DECADES, and the Desert Eagle if only for the mechanical design of the weapon, is probably my favorite. But I would not, under any circumstances, carry it. I don't even own it any more actually. Hope that helps...

4. rugernut

rugernut New Member

Being which one can handle mor abuse

5. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

Your talking apples and oranges. The two weapons are totally
    different designs and function differently.

6. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

+1. I own both. I would not part with either and IMHO both are top of the line.

7. rugernut

rugernut New Member

Ok thanks for you're opinions that actualy helped

8. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

River gp 100 is built like a tank so it can definitely handle more abuse especially if you are a reloader.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Define "abuse"? The revolver would seem more likely to experience a jam if both were tossed into dumpsters full of small debris, but i would expect the glock to gum up first if neither were cleaned for a high round count endurance test. I don't know which would fare better in a saltwater sumbersion test for corrosion. I would bet on the GP100 to win a high heat resistance test.

10. peters923

peters923 New Member

+1...same here.

11. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Exactly, these are two very different guns.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

kind of asking which is more reliable? a Ford or a Dodge? or a Chevy?

13. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

None of the above... Toyota :D

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

sorry oldman, Dodge's rule! lol!:D

15. rugernut

rugernut New Member

I agree with him

16. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I have both and i personally would chose my Ruger over the Glock. But that's just my opinion. I would fell just as safe with either one.

17. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I guess most would say the Ruger because its a revolver -
    Other than that ----------------------:rolleyes:

18. JDAMSrUS

JDAMSrUS New Member

Both are extremely reliable weapon systems. Any revolver is traditionally more "reliable" than any given auto handgun. However, when considering the glock family of firearms, you don't get much more reliable. The real question is, do you prefer the slightly more reliable 5-7 shot revolver over a 12-19 shot auto that has a reputation for taking some ridiculous beatings and still function rather flawlessly.

In the end, for CCW, it all comes down to shot placement and number of attackers presenting themselves as targets. As a 10 year military combatant, trust me, you can have all the confidence in your shooting ability in the world, but when tensions flare, and a human target/targets are standing before you, shot groups usually go down the tubes.

I consistently qualify as an expert marksman as well as hold the title of designated marksman in my unit. That being said, I still prefer higher ammo count and I'll take my glock 23 with 14 rounds (+ spare mags) over any revolver, any day of the week. Any weapon system can fail. Proper maintenance and quality ammunition will minimize the possibility but never eliminate it completely.

That's my two cents, but never discount the perks of a solid revolver. After your 6 shots are up, they still make a pretty decent club to bludgeon your attacker with :)

19. fupuk

fupuk New Member

And that's the truth. Im pretty sure if my six shots missed. I would still stand a chance if i started swinging my revolver in that general direction.

20. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

You gotta love Glock hi-cap mags.