why you should always treat a gun as if it was loaded

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by megamike, Sep 15, 2012.

1. megamike

megamike New Member

A Connecticut community is mourning the accidental shooting death of a 22-year-old former West Point football player, whose life story, friends say, was extraordinary.

Marcus Dixon was once a homeless young teenager who made a "180-degree turn" when a family in Stamford, Conn., adopted him at age 17, the Connecticut Post reported. He went on to become the football captain at Stamford High School -- where he graduated from in 2009 -- before making it to West Point.

Dixon died shortly after 7 p.m. Thursday when he accidentally shot himself in the head with his .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol, according to local reports. Dixon was showing his gun to two friends at an apartment in Stamford at the time of the incident. He had removed the magazine from the pistol and, thinking it was empty, tried to show the gun was safe by pointing it toward his head and pulling the trigger, the newspaper reported. One round was hidden in the gun's chamber.

2. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Why is it that so many choose to show how safe they are by shooting themselves in the head.

I just don't get it.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Another sad story - and of course condolences go out to both his biological and adopted families.

EDIT: Disregard, I read it wrong.

JD

4. Kdub

Kdub New Member

When I was little I watched my dad strip down and clean one of his shotguns. After reassembling it I ask him if it was unloaded. He said yes, which we both clearly knew as everything had just been a big pile of parts. I said would you be willing you put it to your head and pull the trigger. He said "no I'm never that positive." Good lesson.

5. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

My dad taught me from the beginning that if you can't see in the chamber…the gun is loaded. He taught me to check the operation of the safety periodically by gently pulling the trigger with the barrel pointed to the ground..and to never trust the safety. He taught me that all guns are loaded all the time and to treat them accordingly. Certain of my guns are loaded all the time. I check the position of the safety every time I pick them up and handle them as if the safety were off. These are just my rules.
    And through life so far I've managed not to shoot myself or anyone else with a gun, 'unloaded' or not.

6. MarkAD

MarkAD New Member

I have no sympathy for total stupidy.

7. ElGuapo

ElGuapo New Member

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The incident reeks of lack of training received by the deceased.

Just being taught the 4 rules could have helped.

9. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

A real gun is always loaded! The only time in my life that I ever pointed a real gun at a human was in the military because that was my job. Even then, we knew what was the likely next occurrence if we touched that trigger, boom, dead! Interesting that even when a bunch of my soldiers were sitting in a group cleaning weapons, nobody ever strayed from that rule (or else)!

I have had more than one occasion as a young hunter when that rule saved lives. When I was about 12, me and my Brother in law were bird hunting one icy cold, damp fall morning and I drew my trusty old Wards Western 12 Ga up to pop a Ruffed Grouse, I pulled the trigger and nothing happened. I started to lower the weapon to clear it and loosened my grip and just as the stock passed my midriff, the thing went off, boom! It jerked out of my hands and went flying behind me 4' landing 2' from my BIL Because I had kept the thing pointed in the direction I had meant to fire, the shot went through the trees harmlessly and my BIL only smacked me in the head afterwards instead of dragging a bloody body out of the woods. Lessons learned, Clean Lubricate and preserve, that way, Ice crystals wont stop me from getting a delicious bird! Luckily, I had already learned the first lesson, never point a weapon at anything you wouldn't kill!

Im very sorry to hear the former Cadet spent more time learning his FB plays than on the firing range (Ive fired on West Points Range many times, never saw anyone there pointing a weapon at themselves or anyone else!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  10. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

I learned the lesson at a very young age. Watched my MARINE cousin pick up the air pistol laying on the speaker, point it at the ceiling and as he said, is this loaded, pulled the trigger. I thought dad was going to strip him limb from limb for that stunt. Air pistol was used to "sting" dogs that were allowed to run loose in the neighborhood.

11. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

We all have brain farts from time to time luckily 99.9% of the time they aren't fatal.

12. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

That's a terrible story. I feel so bad for his friends and family.

I have a shotgun that only holds 3 rounds with the plug in (I always keep the plug in). I always pump it 6 times before I clean it. It can only hold 4 rounds with the plug out.

Maybe just my own quirk. I have however had a round come out on the 1st pump once. I'm still puzzled as to how it got there.

13. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I have a hard time feeling sorry for this person. Even if you haven't received any training, it's jut common sense to not point a gun at yourself and pull the trigger.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

sad thing is many are lacking in that area, common sense. my father always said to my brother and i when we were younger, losing respect for something that ccan hurt or kill you is asking for bad things to happen to you. i have held onto that bit of advice for many years now.

15. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Exactly.

Sort of like passing while going up a hill on a blind turn. Stupidity can easily be cured. We just need to get rid of warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

kind of funny, that when people had common sense, we didn't need all those warning labels!:eek:

17. Reloader54

Reloader54 New Member

I was taught that every gun is loaded. I always check my guns when I pick one up to make sure that it is not loaded even though I know that it is not. It was the way that I was taught. I also always when I hand a gun to someone I always hand it to them in a way that they can see that it is not loaded. I've even had gun shop owners look suprised at me when I had them a gun opened. When they ask me why. I tell them that it was the way that I was taught. And some have told me that they wished that more were taught that way. I stongly belive in gun safety and that if you own a gun that you should know how to use it safely and maintain it.

18. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

I was taught to treat every gun as if it were loaded, even my little "pop" gun I had when I was about 5 years old. My brother and I were never allowed to point them at each other or play cowboys and indians with them. Additionally, I was taught to keep my finger off the trigger until I was ready to fire and to make sure of my target and what is behind my target. I've had one close call where I thought the gun was empty but thanks to my brother catching my mistake I didn't squeeze the trigger. Even then, the gun was pointed in a safe direction.

19. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Lack of respect for a firearm will, sooner or later, bite you in the butt. (or in the head)

It is so simple to handle a gun in a manner that will not damage property or people, but there are always some that are too smart, or too tough to follow the rules. The graveyards are full of them and their victims.

20. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Over confidence combined with stupidity can be lethal, as this case proves!:(