Why you MUST MAKE SURE OF THE POWDER

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by BtDoctur, Dec 26, 2013.

1. BtDoctur

BtDoctur New Member

Got this from another site to prevent you from blowing your gun apart.

Well I blew up my 444 today and just figured out why. In my search to get a load that worked in this microgrove, I thought I had found the rl7 powder and loaded up some loads. Turns out I used acurate#7 not reloader 7. Lucky to have all my digits.
    444 is no more.... pics can be found here.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

It is very important to be sure what you have before you start. There are several different versions of "Clays". I always make sure my powder matches my book exactly. There is no room for error in this hobby.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

good info. but i used your link and it wanted me to join the forum to look at the pictures. i'll just have to takeyour word on it.

yes we need to be very vigilant in using powder. some even sound very similiar but are different powders.

another suggestion is to only have one powder at a time out on the bench while reloading. if reloading and using differnet powders, then finish with one before starting with another powder.

4. Rick1967

I could not agree more Axxe. I keep all my powder locked up. But I keep one can and my powder measure separate from everything else. When I change the powder I dump the measure back into the can and clean it out. Then that can gets put away before I get the next one out.

5. Axxe55

exactly the same procedure i use as well. my powders are stored on the bottom shelf of my reloading bench and i have only one powder at a time on the top shelf while reloading.

my father taught me mixing powders by using the wrong one for a particular charge weight was a good way to end up getting hurt or ruining a gun. i have paid heed to that advice.

6. Axxe55

Damn! i am sure glad you're alright. sorry to see the rifle ruined though.

7. BtDoctur

BtDoctur New Member

like i said , not me. just wanted to show what happens when we do make a mistake in the
    hobby.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

least now you can get a new marlin with the cut rifling. they work great with a lot of bullets and powders... just not pistol powder.

glad your in one piece.

9. Rocky7

Rocky7 New Member

You're too polite. That's not a suggestion. It's good advice and it's a rule cast in stone.

10. Axxe55

of course we can always use JonM's suggestion, remove all warning labels and let natural selection run it's course!

JK Jon!:p

Disclaimer: this comment was made in jest and not to be taken seriously when dealing with reloading materials.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

Its just an example of what happens when procedure in loading isn't followed. There are folks like bit who had an accident and got lucky not getting hurt and there are folks out there looking to shortcut or other I'll advised antics that need to read this thread.

Loading your own is a safe and enjoyable hobby when safety rules and safe practices are followed. This is just a sample of what can happen when they are broken by whatever means.

12. Rick1967

My pastor told me that when he got married a family member broke into his house and removed all the labels from the canned goods in his kitchen cabinet. For about 2 weeks they did not know what they were having for dinner until a few minutes before they ate.:D A little off topic. But I thought is was hilarious!

13. sandog

sandog Member

I have a friend that blew up his Weatherby Vanguard 30/06 when he grabbed IMR-4320 off his powder shelf instead of the IMR-4350 he used for his favorite load.It was a full case, maximum load that was safe with 4350, but not with 4320. It blew the floorplate off, the scope was twisted as the front mount was thrown up and the stock cracked, but he was not injured.

14. mboylan

mboylan New Member

Never fails. Pistol powder willh turn your rifle into a grenade. Newbies take note.

15. 44_Special

44_Special New Member

In order to NOT make a powder mistake....I only keep the powder I am using at the moment on the bench...and that is the one in the powder measure...when I am done...I pour the measure back into the bottle with a funnel and put it back in the storage bin.

16. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Duh? One says Accurate one says Reloader. One is in a square container the other in a round container. Talk about not paying attention.

17. Nickwashere

Nickwashere New Member

I always keep the can of powder I am using behind my powder thrower