Why You Call BEFORE You Dig!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Okay, whether or not the story that came with the e-mail is true, here is an example of why you DO NOT just go digging around, even on your own land.

Apparently the land in question had a big assed easement running through it that housed either 24" or 30" High Pressure UG Natural Gas Main running through it. Mains of this size usually run at around 800psi. :eek:

Attached Files:

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

So kids, what have we learned? :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

3. user4

user4 New Member

Stoopid = boom!

4. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I'd like to think that it was caused by illegalistas trying to tunnel through from Mexico.
    :eek:

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

My dad hit a 24" telephone cable once took out phone service to almost half of california. Nothing happened why because the surveyors were off by 6 feet. I hit a small gas line once with a back-hoe nothing happened as it was abandoned. But yes you need to call first.

My dad once hit a 24" high pressure water main 2 hours later the truck was still running under the water when they shut it off.

6. bkt

bkt New Member

THAT'S FREAKIN' COOL! DO IT AGAIN!

7. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I took a crew out to move a small magnolia tree at a new construction site. The crew that planted it (Not our company) placed it not only directly over an irrigation line, but precisely at the point where the 120V Romex for the entrance lighting, front gate, intercom, etc.... crossed.
    I knew something was wrong when one of the guys said "Chop that white root". The "dooooong" sound after the second whack let me know that it was going to be a long day........

8. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

can you imagine the size of that fire ball:eek: that house got blown to bits. was anybody hurt other than the guy diggin:confused:

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Unknown. I got the story as part of an e-mail going around the company.

JD

10. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

i wonder how bad the ground shook on that one

11. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

I'm not a demolitions expert, but I would say the guy digging might be slightly more than just 'hurt'....

if he isn't dead, I would think he's wishing he was..

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I can tell you one thing I would not want to be the one paying that fine. WOW that is going to hurt.