Firearms Talk banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Story time, get out the popcorn and adult beverages.

When I took my now ex-wife home from our first date her roommate was watching a movie starring Kurt Russell as the guy in Texas who climbed a tower and started shooting at one of the colleges. I can't remember the details, it was a true story, but one I hadn't heard at the time. At one point in the movie a cop is berating a gun store owner for selling the guy "that much ammo" (paraphrase).I I blurted out that I had 4 or 5 times that much on hand horrorfying her roommate.

2 or 3 dates later she wants me to take her shooting, because she now knows I am a gun guy. We go to the local indoor range and I load a magazine for my Browning Buckmark and give her some basic instruction, I stand close behind her while she shoots watching closely. While I am watching I am loading a mag for my 1911 long slide. She puts 10 shots in the 7 circle with the Browning first time out. She then turns around sets the Browning down grabs the 1911, I had inserted the mag but not closed the slide, she thumbs down the slide release, and puts 7 inside the 8 circle this time. Turns out her dad and brother are not gun guys persay, but they are serious hunters, and she had been taught the basics. One of the reasons she was a keeper, somewhere along the line she decided I wasn't a keeper though.

This brings me to my current dilemma, my brother and his wife have asked me to teach them to shoot. Neither one will become a "gun person". Sister in law is a former insurance salesman/adjuster, she is scared of everything that walks, talks, or digs holes. She will be the problem. Brother is a doctor, he wants to protect the family in an emergency. At this time they want get their concealed carry permits. I have a range here on the place. My basic plan is to conduct a basic familarization (revolver vs semi auto) and safety class, then urge them to take the NRA beginner course. followed by the carry course. I invite comments and Ideas. I do not want to pass on my bad habits, but want my brother to show up for the class prepared.

I am going to stress revolvers, because they will not practice as much as they should, also I am a revolver guy in general, but my edc is a S&W M&P Shield..
Just my own experience hearing of NRA instructors from a few folks i retrained. Youll probably do a much better job of training them if your willing .

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
The semi-auto pistol has less moving parts and far less complicated. But, I see what you mean with that auto pistol, there is more room for operator error. Not knowing if its loaded chamber, or for get its on safety, or not on safety, is the mag loaded, is it in place properly, and ect... But Glock fixed all that, for the most part. Just have to remember its loaded
LOLX1000! 'more room for operator error', 'and far less complicated', it is either one or the other but not both!!!! I would guess you are one of the 'younger' folks here! ;)

·
Premium Member
7,533 Posts
Should is implying ( obligation, duty, or correctness ) in the context of this discussion, not a choice to use what ever they want.

·
Registered
526 Posts
LOLX1000! 'more room for operator error', 'and far less complicated', it is either one or the other but not both!!!! I would guess you are one of the 'younger' folks here! ;)
Auto pistol is less complicated in a mechanical sense, fewer parts. But has more room for operator error.
Do you now see what I meant?
Will you please lay off the caps, I don't need to feel like you are yelling at me;)

·
Registered
530 Posts
I find it amazing how much men care about what they have a decent chance of being shot with. Women are being very under-estimated I think. A bullet coming out of the end of a barrel doesn't care about what kind of gun it was in......

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
I find it amazing how much men care about what they have a decent chance of being shot with. Women are being very under-estimated I think. A bullet coming out of the end of a barrel doesn't care about what kind of gun it was in......
Funny I don’t think a woman is going to shoot me anytime soon. After all I took out the trash last nite:oops:

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
Funny I don’t think a woman is going to shoot me anytime soon. After all I took out the trash last nite
After one tangles with an Alpha Female or two one's attitude can change. Those folks don't take threatening situations of any kind lightly. Let them pick their gun or whatever.

·
Premium Member
11,297 Posts
men are scared of losing their masculinity lol
Only the ones that never had it in the first place.

Just my own experience hearing of NRA instructors from a few folks i retrained. Youll probably do a much better job of training them if your willing .
Depends on the instructor. I've encountered mostly excellent ones, but I have also encountered a few that I flet like I had lost IQ points, after sitting through their class.

Funny I don’t think a woman is going to shoot me anytime soon. After all I took out the trash last nite:oops:
Same here. Looks like were both smart enough to not piss them off.

After one tangles with an Alpha Female or two one's attitude can change. Those folks don't take threatening situations of any kind lightly. Let them pick their gun or whatever.
There is truth to that statement. And even the Omega or Beta can evolve into an Alpha.

Most eho knew my wife 20+ years ago, don't belive she ever was the person she was then, after seeing her now. She was pretty mousey back then, and under her brothers' and sister's thumb, and took a lot of verbal abuse from them. I was told to stay away from her, because they didn't like the way she acted towards them, after being around me.

I told them to go self copulate, vigorously, and frequently, and took my share of swings on me, without swinging back, after putting both of them on their asses, because she and her daughter were around, followed with telling them to come by my place, where I won't need to restrain myself, because I wouldn't fight in front of them, but sure as hell wasn't going to stand there and take it.

And I always told her that she didn't have to either. Took my mother, who was an Alpha, telling her she had a place to go, for her to finally decide to leave that situation. She took her up on that, after coming home to another tirade on Christmas night, 2002, and moved in with us.

Took about a year for her family to catch on, as well as a couple decent knock down drag outs, and stop trying to go after me,. or send friends to do it for them. a few were mutual, and told them to pound sand, and either gave me a heads up, or showed up to keep it fair. 20 years later, I get along well with 2 of them, and the third is slowly coming around. Walked on to my property once, and got dragged off, by their friends, me, my friends, and my father, who stayed out of it, when I took both of them on.

Took a beating, but I was the one standing at the end of it. They couldn't. Both had trouble walking for about a month afterwards, simply because that was my plan. Not to beat them, just to hurt them enough to never want to try me again, and it worked. They dropped it at that point. Men like that usually do, when they spend 30 to 40 years bullying others, and getting their way, due to their size, after the easy target puts them in their place.

What they saw was confidence, after she was around me for any amount of time, that they mistook for cockiness, at the time. The person she was then, took that crap from them, the woman she is now, wouldn't.

I sat down and watched the Rocky saga when it came on AMC the other day, and figured something out. My wife's path matches Adrienne's path in the films, Paulie's sister, Rocky's wife. That person was always there, but she needed the other person to show her that that other woman was in there, and help her emerge.

And, as someone who has seen it first hand, it is a wonderful thing.

So no, I sell no woman short, and don't talk down to them. The only limit anyone has is them, regardless of sex.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
And, as someone who has seen it first hand, it is a wonderful thing.
People that have not been there will never understand. What I'm reading is the description of a tough minded survivor.

Reactions: kfox75

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Auto pistol is less complicated in a mechanical sense, fewer parts. But has more room for operator error.
Do you now see what I meant?
Will you please lay off the caps, I don't need to feel like you are yelling at me;)
My post was not in caps?????????? ;) As far as what you are saying, the 'number of parts' is not relevant here any more than the number of parts are to any other machine when it come to the operation. FACT: Semi-auto hand guns are much more complicated to 'operate' safely and efficiently/proficiently than a revolver. That is just common sense. When we, LE, transitioned from revolver to semi-autos that became VERY apparent as the training, even for those who have been using handguns, required MUCH more time and practice than when we were using revolvers. Like I said, you must be one of the 'younger' set as you seem to be pushing the semi-auto hard. I have been training military, LE, and civilians for 50+ years and this FACT has ALWAYS been very obvious!

·
Registered
526 Posts
My post was not in caps?????????? ;) As far as what you are saying, the 'number of parts' is not relevant here any more than the number of parts are to any other machine when it come to the operation. FACT: Semi-auto hand guns are much more complicated to 'operate' safely and efficiently/proficiently than a revolver. That is just common sence. When we, LE, transitioned from revolver to semi-autos that became VERY apparent as the training, even for those who have been using handguns, required MUCH more time and practice than when we were using revolvers. Like I said, you must be one of the 'younger' set as you seem to be pushing the semi-auto hard. I have been training military, LE, and civilians for 50+ years and this FACT has ALWAYS been very obvious!
Well Jim, I never said you used all caps, but look at your reply, I still see a lot of caps;) and by the way sense is not spelled sence. When you transitioned from revolvers, to autos, the debate had already been settled a long time ago. People already figured out that most cops couldn't be trusted with auto pistols, of the single action type.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
Well Jim, I never said you used all caps, but look at your reply, I still see a lot of caps;) and by the way sense is not spelled sence. When you transitioned from revolvers, to autos, the debate had already been settled a long time ago. People already figured out that most cops couldn't be trusted with auto pistols, of the single action type.
When I use caps it is make a specific point. MOST people, in general, could not be trusted with a single action auto, that is why the Glock makes no sense at all for anyone who wants a safe carry hand gun. People can argue all they want, but carrying a Glock is like carrying a 1911 'cocked and UNLOCKED' period! I have ask if you are one of our 'younger' posters, so are you? I have had heated discussions with several 'younger' instructors about this topic for many years. Many of them have NEVER ever used a revolver, but they argue for an auto. Where do you fit in this discussion?

·
Registered
530 Posts
When I use caps it is make a specific point. MOST people, in general, could not be trusted with a single action auto, that is why the Glock makes no sense at all for anyone who wants a safe carry hand gun. People can argue all they want, but carrying a Glock is like carrying a 1911 'cocked and UNLOCKED' period! I have ask if you are one of our 'younger' posters, so are you? I have had heated discussions with several 'younger' instructors about this topic for many years. Many of them have NEVER ever used a revolver, but the argue for an auto. Where do you fit in this discussion?
This is a monumental day in my life now! For the very first time, I hear from someone else that understands why I think Glocks are completely and totally unsafe firearms! You, JimRau articulated perfectly why I got rid of mine and will never have another Glock. They can be the most reliable gun in the world but they're still....not safe.

·
Registered
531 Posts
A Glock is no different than a ton of other semi autos without safetys. People carry them and use then everyday by the millions.

Im far from a " younger" anything concerning firearms . And i cut my teeth on revolvers.
I like them fine. Fact is though most women ive taught do not like them. Especially the much ballyhooded " ladies gun" the j frame.
I get it old guys think revolvers were and are the cats meow.

But nobody in this thread including me knows what " most people " are capable of safely carrying. I like Jim and others know what most follks we have dealt with are like.
But thats a drop in the bucket in relation to " most " gun ownercarriers

61 - 80 of 83 Posts