Why we DON'T fire warning shots...EVER!

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Tackleberry1, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Here is a prime example of a good guy finding himself in trouble with the law after a wanted felon attempted to force entry in the Veterans home.

http://www.inquisitr.com/681593/man-arrested-for-firing-warning-shot-at-burglar/

It's also an excellent reason for all of us older "and I hope" wiser Vet's and gun owners to take these young guys under our wings and help educate them on the differences between patrolling a fire base in Afghanistan and defending your home... once your back home.

Sure hope he's cleared and get's his rifle back but we'll have see what the courts in Medford say about it.

Tack

2. mtmagwhenindout

mtmagwhenindout New Member

He is a better person than me as soon as the crook entered my house they would have taken him out in a body bag

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013

3. mtmagwhenindout

mtmagwhenindout New Member

This is total BS He was defending his property and life now he being treated like a criminal next time don't spare the crooks life

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2013
  4. trip286

trip286 New Member

But...but....uncle Joe says we should put two shots in the air, and then two through the door!!!

5. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

This story was on AM radio this morning so I pulled it up when I got into the office.

A. I don't think the perp ever gained entry
    B. Homeowner told the perp he'd give him "a warning shot"... then did.
    C. Responding LEO said the perp was walking away when the "warning shot" was fired.

I don't like the fact that an Afghanistan Vet is facing charges for running off a wanted felon anymore than the next guy... but firing a warning shot is a well know NO NO to anyone who's studied armed protection and has any knowledge of the law.

Long story short... If you not "scared for you life" enough to shoot the perp in order to make him stop whatever it is he's doing... you not in "enough danger" to justify pulling the trigger.

Like it or not... that's the law... and there are many good arguments for it, the biggest one being that even trained Veterans "short of shooting into a clearing barrel"... have NO idea where that round could end up.

Medford is a small town and I certainly hope the authorities show some leniency... but the bigger point here is that it's incumbent upon us to recognize these younger fellow's when we see them at the range, befriend them, and steer conversation beyond shot group size too the larger discussion of "appropriate use of force".

Tack

6. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Boom, Boom, boom; no warning, just darkness...

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Unless you count the clicking of a safety.

8. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I do not have a choice but to fire a warning shot. It is the law in Germany. First you give a verbal, then you give a warning shot, and finally you can shoot. I also have a right to shoot someone if they try to still my rifle while I am on the hunt. (think terrorism) But I have to follow the three steps. The problem is, I think I am dyslexic when follow steps. ;) Of course if the guy also has a gun, then all bets are off.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Really? That's a law there? I just didn't expect that.

Look at it this way, when you're running through the steps...

You think you're gonna land all your shots? Haha!!!

"See officer? That bullet hole in the wall? That was my warning shot."

They can't tell that it was a flyer ;)

(note: I don't advocate violating the law in any country. But....)

10. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

You can get away with firing a warning shot here even with or strict firearms laws. Probably not a good idea unless a last resort before using it for real.

11. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

If you feel you have time to fire a warning shot there is no imminent fear of death or great bodily harm.

12. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

The article indicates entry was not achieved by the ex-con. That is big in my book....

To paraphrase Doc, if you have time to bark it may not be time to bite!

I have stated my willingness and readiness to defend my family from a home invader, but am equally reluctant to wander the neighborhood looking for trouble or consider as a deadly threat someone separated by my front door.

Of course if pursued by deadly force to my house or if taking fire from someone outside the house the response would change considerably.

No warning shots expected, required, or granted around here...at least not intentionally...;)

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

only warning shot shoulda been right between the eyes...

NEVER EVER NEVER fire a warning shot!!!!!!!!

anyone rock stupid enough to follow uncle joe's advice needs to lose access to firearms for basic lack of judgement.

but the real idiocy isnt the guy firing a warning shot its this:

if thats true, why do the police have these so dangerous devices whose bullets randomly fly about hitting people?? those "authorities" need to lose their jobs and never be allowed to work in law enforcement or as a prosecuting attorney or hold political office or judge anywhere. saying something so blatantly stupid shows a complete lack of knowledge of the tools of civilian defense and law enforcement.

14. manta

Probably just me then I would rather stop a confrontation with a warning shot if possible, maybe I am a bit soft for not wanting to kill someone if I can avoid it.

15. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Live to fight another day; one shot, one kill! Warning shots cause victims...

16. manta

Have we any real world examples of this or is it opinions.

17. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I can certainly agree with your reluctance, but to use a firearm for anything is to use deadly force under most state's law. If you feel threatened enough to use deadly force a warning shot is not indicated, again under most state's laws.

If I were you I would do a thorough check of your local and state firearms and deadly force laws concerning the use of deadly force and warning shots. It would not surprise me at all if you were to find that warning shots are prohibited.

Avoiding shooting someone is a worthwhile goal, but it isn't always possible. If you see a situation developing that has you concerned you should prepare yourself, call the authorities, and hope that they will get there before you have to make the decision to shoot. If things don't work out the way you want, you either need to be able to shoot or prepare to retreat.

It's not an easy decision, but remember the guidelines for deadly force. You have to be in fear of imminent death or great bodily harm to yourself or others. If you feel you can retreat, and that's where your moral compass is directing you, do it. I know I'll never criticize or second guess your decision, and I'm sure many others will feel the same way. The ones you need to watch out for are the people that tell you you were wrong not to shoot to kill. They scare me.

18. manta

The law is different here the police would rather you stopped the confrontation with a warning shot than killed someone. Firearms have being used here for self defense for years and your reaction depends on the circumstances. If you get it wrong and fire a warning shot you will get a slap on the wrist if kill someone you could end up in jail. Its up to the individual in the situation at the time what to do he will be the one that will face the consciences if they get it wrong. PS Obviously if you are not allowed by law to fire a warning shot then its not a good idea.
    I would assume you shot to stop the threat not to kill unless of course killing someone gives the individual a kick. I would worry about that sort of individuals as well.

19. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

If someone goes "bump in the night" here I think the warning shot will be the second one, its not like the bullets are numbered only I will know which went where! ;)

20. rifleman77

rifleman77 New Member

Under the castle doctrine you can legal shoot any person who has unlawfully entered your home. But this person can't be on your porch and doorstep they have to actually cross the threshold and be inside your home.