Why train/practice defensive scenarios?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by BeyondTheBox, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I really, truly don't understand it.

Doctors, please correct me if and where I'm wrong here...

This whole concept of "muscle memory" is the biggest joke ever. My understanding is that muscles don't have anything the brain doesn't give them, other than mass. It's truly the most fundamental and elementary of truths, that the musculatory system simply reacts to electrical impulses sent from the brain.

So, the only muscle with memory is the brain and understanding that most basic of facts, training yourself to react to a specific situation in a specific way is a matter of conditioning. Now to understand what conditioning is. It's a set up for failure!

This is what's wrong with all of you and all of your ideas of defensive drills. You're conditioning yourselves to respond to a singular dimensional scenario, but nothing is so streamline in murder or attack.

This isn't the military, the bad guy isn't trained to fight any particular way that you can practice for, this isn't football, there's no position to guard, thus you SHOULD NOT train to defend so specifically!

Learn good shooting stances and grips, absolutely! Understand pressure points and general defensive positions and concepts, yes. But DO NOT "train" for anything more than being aware and present.

Example, training to move during altercation. Great, but where to move? What if attack is left, or behind, or beyond, or front center, or etc, or etc, or etc...

Take things at more of a face value, your instinct will take control and do the right thing there. Stop over-estimating things.

Anyway, this is my take, based on my understanding and person experiences. I'm no doctor nor have I been more than mugged, pistol whipped, and jumped before. This just seems the most logical thing to me.

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Do you do anything that you did best on your first try? Or are you more like real people and with practice gain proficiency over time?

3. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Poor logic here. I'm not advocating to never shoot, maybe I didn't make that clear.

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

No, sound logic. Anyone can stand and slow fire a target. But can you bring a weapon fmr a holster to target while moving and do it in just a couple/few seconds?

You can't expect to be able to do something so involved without knowing how to do it. At the very least people should train to bring a weapon on target and fire two/three rounds in under four seconds.

5. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

Surely, you jest? Really?

I guess one just reads the directions ad infinitum and you have the skill?

Wow, I have wasted sooooooooooo much time honing various skills for over 6 decades!! I'm glad you're not a doctor too. :D

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  6. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Know how doesn't require practice as far as I'm concerned, never has

7. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I'm very serious. Please do edify if you have insight.

Oh, and don't call me Shirley.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Man, I am not trying to be condescending or anything but I can not see how anyone can be any good in any situation they have never even tried to engage in.
    It's like saying no need to pick up a gun until you actually have to use it. I can't say a person that never trained for a SD situation can't protect themselves. But they are putting themselves at a disadvantage.

9. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Couldn't disagree more, and again, I'm not saying one shouldn't practice shooting at all. I advocate for shooting practice, but only for the purpose of achieving a good grip and accurate shot.

10. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

My issue stems from the idea that in a SD situation you don't have the time to compose yourself. You have to get things right in a hurry. And to do that it's best yo know how to do it before hand.

11. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Exactly. A lot of times, if I'm practicing from the holster, I run 100 yds or do something similar to get my heart rate up. This makes it harder to keep my hands steady. Which in turn makes shooting accurately harder. It is great practice that I have seen my improvement.

12. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

How did you learn to write for example? Or thinking of what to say and put it on paper (or computer) almost simultaneously, carving something with a knife or reacting while flying or driving. Any reaction is a variation of a learned skill set. A battlefield is another scenario. :)

13. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Do you know how to type?

14. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I think you all way over estimate your personal value.

Americans have extreme delusions of grandeur.

If you have to defend yourself alone, you either have time or you don't. There's an escalation which gives the psyche time to engage long before necessary or your one of many targets in which mean nothing more than a means to an end.

15. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

Well, OK, you are indeed entitled to your own view. :)

16. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yup, based on my brain's ability to recall letters and where they are in relations to what it wants to say.

Please tell me you don't really think the fingers remember where to go?

17. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

How did you learn how to type?

18. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I see where you're going with this. Its still invalid as an arguement against what I'm saying. But, again, perhaps I wasn't clear.

I believe practicing shooting is a good thing, but training for specific scenarios, defensive or offensive is detrimental!

19. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Of course muscles have no memory. But repetition does produce procedural memorization that can become stored in the brain and replicated with less cognitive thinking. It becomes reactive instinct which is partially unconscious. Consider the pianist playing a familiar song. He has performed it so many times, his fingers will find the keys without conscious movement. The same can be true of any motor skills. Catching a baseball, driving a car, putting on a seatbelt, etc.

20. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Exactly, that's not a good thing!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.