Why Tanto shape?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Mr-Incredible, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Mr-Incredible

Mr-Incredible New Member

Frankly I just don't understand what the draw is with tanto shaped knives. Does it offer some tactical or utility advantage over bowies or clip or drop points? or is it just that it looks like a tiny samurai sword? I was reading some catalog just now and it said the cold steel tanto recon was becoming the go-to knife for SWAT... I don't really believe it, but if it were true, what's the draw?

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

It just looks so bad ***. Rambo knives just arent cutting it anymore. I believe though its a strong design and can be used for more than just defense. I.E. prying, cutting, that kind of thing.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'm definitely not the knife guy, but I believe the Tanto shape was originally designed to pierce armor.

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

CA, you are good!!

From Our Blades | Benchmade

5. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Like dunerunner said, 99.9% of the "tanto" shaped blades offered in modern knives are Americanized tantos which are quite different from a traditional tanto point.

My very subjective and personal opinion is that their main purpose is looking cool and helping sell more knives. It's not a good utility blade shape at all, and the alledged extra tip strength isn't a big enough advantage. Drop point and spear point blades can be made just as stout without sacrificing that much usefulness.

There's a reason why no survival or wilderness expert recommends a tanto blade.

For a dedicated fighter that's not expected to be used for anything else, the tanto blade is good. Not only do you get a good piercing tip, but the transition between the main edge and the shorter edge that runs to the tip is excellent for quick snap cuts.

6. General-Logic

General-Logic New Member

Designed to pierce armor and vests and stuff. Very strong design, simple and brutally efficient. I love it.
    I like my Ka-Bar better.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

i keep a set of skinning knives, an old vietnam era m16bayonet, and a one piece hatchet in my outdoor gear. non of em are tanto shaped. i had and lost a cold steel tanto at one point. it was one of the more useless knives i ever bought. the only reason i got upset over losing it was i was about to sell it to a guy and lost it on a day hike the day before he was going to buy it.

8. deth502

deth502 New Member

great design. perfect for survival or any utility.

i see no advantage any other blade shape could possibly have over it.

9. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Ever tried to skin a deer with one?

10. N.D.

N.D. New Member

The Americanized version is pretty much built with a very strong, thick chisel type of point/tip that excels at prying and penetrating things (utility tool) that you should not really be using an anti personnel knife for.

IMO I much prefer a traditional Japanese Tan-to Blade that is designed for the cutting, penetrating of flesh which might be covered W a type of leather/Bamboo Armour and in my personal experience when it is properly sharpened (polished Blade/edge) the edge all the way to the point will be breathtakingly sharp and also because of the correct geometry of the blade/edge it will slash amazingly deep especially through non armored flesh and leave very freely bleeding wounds, that tend to stay wide open and are also much more difficult to stop (very cleanly severed arteries) W/O immediate professional medical attention, and it will do it W/O very much (comparatively speaking) effort/force being used in the task, which IMHO is just exactly how you want a anti-personnel knife to perform.

Note:
    Most of the commonly seen (not all) Western "style" blades have poor to very poor (too obtuse at/near the edge) blade geometry to cut like the above description out of the box.
    ;)

11. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

They are simply gimmicks. And the gimmick obviously works. 90% of knife buyers have no clue what a good knife should be, so they buy what looks good or is currently popular.

12. N.D.

N.D. New Member

I agree with this statement above! :D

N.D.

13. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

One of my favorite carry knives-Kershaw Tanto Flipper

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      95.3 KB
      Views:
  14. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That's an interesting knife. I've never seen a striated blade like that before.

15. N.D.

N.D. New Member

Q. Ever stop to think of why? . . .:rolleyes:

ETA.
    A. Creates friction in the cut and can sometimes cause your knife to jam up an get stuck in the cut.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  16. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

To my experience they hold up better, but maybe a baby them because they are so bad ***. I have noticed all the big name knife manufacturers are offering all their blades with tanto points now so maybe it's the way we're headed.

17. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Carry one of these every day. Great utility knife and I haven't found much that it can not accomplish, and I'll be ready if I ever have to use it defensively.

[​IMG]

18. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

I love my Cold Steel Recon-Tanto ! Fixed blade, sharp as hell. Thick spine.I know that if needed, I can use a rock to hammer that blade through a 4" log for firewood. Pierce thick objects if needed. The Carbon-V steel is a pain to sharpen but the edge lasts a long time.
    Permanent fixture to bug out vest..

19. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

20. phoinixbird

phoinixbird New Member

Has anyone tried/own the Ka-Bar tanto fixed blade?