Why such bad shooting?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by ALfiremedic1, May 17, 2013.

1. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

So today I went and bought my first Glock. I got a Glock 23 Gen 4. I also was taking my M&P 45 and Sig P250 9mm out at well. I am constantly shooting high and to the right with my M&P 45 AND my Glock. With I shoot my Sig, in dead on target and there are no issues. I also own and M&P shield and I have the same problem with it. Any answers?

2. NCcrimedog

NCcrimedog New Member

Are you right or left handed? From the limited info, I would first suspect that your hand doesn't fit the larger weapons.

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Grip could be a problem . also thats why the dovetails are made to move around , My Kahr shoots to the left so I have the sight moved over most of the way . My Sig is dead on centered, My LC9 dead on centered , Springfield shoots left , rear sight moved over . Thats just the way it works with some guns and thats why they are adjustable :D

4. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

Right handed. All of them fit well, and I have fairly large hands. Even with smaller striker fired or SA triggers I'm always high and to the right. I used to have a Kahr that I could shoot tight groups, but since I've changed over to glocks and M&P's I can't shoot worth ****.

5. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

I hear ya. My issue is that ALL of my striker fired guns do that. Every.single.one. So I know it's me, but I have no clue how to fix it.

6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Trade your other guns for another Sig. Problem solved!!!!:D I also agree it is mostly your grip and position of finger on the trigger. Are you using any of the adjustable back grips on your Glock? If so, take them off. I am only guessing though since I cannot see your grip. The .45 also has a bigger grip than the Sig, so I am once again thinking grip and finger position. Do you have your left pointer finger on the front of the trigger guard? This also manipulates shot placement. Also, most people who have problems with the Glock shoot low and to the left, so I know you are not anticipating the snappier recoil of the polymer gun. Can you show a picture of your grip ready to fire from the left if you are right handed, and vice versa if left handed.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Practice.

Slow, deliberate trigger pull at first, getting faster as you improve.

8. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

9. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

Wish I had solid advice for high/right shot placement.....because in most cases low left shot placement is recoil anticipation and improper trigger control. Those can be improved. Took me 2+ years to move groups dead center at 15 yards

So you hit high and right with ALL of your guns, regardless of caliber or size?

**EDIT**

Sorry just re-read your post. So the Sig 250 hits dead center? My only possible answer is that you are accustomed to the long DA only trigger pull.....maybe the light SA trigger is forcing your hand to move right before the trigger breaks?

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Are the three trigger actions the same? DAO?

Isn't the Sig a DA/SA?

That could be the difference.

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I have found that my Sig hits right at point of aim, while Glocks and 1911s hit a bit high. This requires a 6 o'clock hold on the black of a bullseye target with the Glock and 1911s, while I place the front sight of the Sig right in the center of the black.

12. woody63m

woody63m New Member

image-2066410665.jpg

13. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

For my Sig P226 and HK USP, you cover the target with your front sight. They are designed with combat target acquisition in mind. Quick point and shoot. My Sig only as a line down the middle of the back sight, which quickly lines up with front sight. Still, I do not even use my back sights unless I am shooting longer distance. The glock 17 I use to own(I was young and naive) and my Colt 1911(which I miss a lot), you place the sights at six o'clock. Most comp. sights too. Each gun is different, so it is best to inquire to see if it meets your preferred aiming style.

14. activereality

activereality New Member

Yeah. It may be a combo of possible grip issues mixed in with the practical application of using the different sites. Understanding each site type and knowing the most effective usage for you is key. Learn how you are hitting when aiming and adjust your site alignment to correct for poi per actual point of aim.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  15. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

I think your train of thought is right on. My sig is my only DA trigger and the rest are SA. I think I'm used to DA triggers.

16. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

Without going into too much criticism or sarcasm, it sounds like you have a trigger finger placement issue, or a heavy finger. Different guns have different characteristics. It could also be a sight issue. Shoot from a rest and see if that helps. If you are dead on with a rest, then it's your finger placement. If the rest doesn't help, your sights may need adjusting.

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Dry fire practice will help. You can also use something called "ball and dummy" Get a few snap caps. Have a friend load the magazine behind your back. There should be at least one dummy to 5 or 6 live. Load and shoot. The problem will become readily apparent

18. DenverSteve

DenverSteve New Member

Proper instruction from a good instructor watching what you're doing will help. However, the standard answer is: proper platform, consistent grip, breath control, sight alignment, trigger press, follow through. It's always the variables BEHIND the trigger that cause the issues.

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Well, yeah. KEEP the Sig, SELL the others...:D

20. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I noticed with DAO Guns(my two newer Rugers) that I pull slightly low & to the left. not to the point of being "out of the Black," but a little off center. My RSO who was a Marine Shooting Inst. and Range Master(E7-Gunny Sgt.) tells me it's a product of my "Trigger action" and how i'm gripping the weapon, because i'm used to SA(1911) and DA/SA("92") guns. I did have a few FTE's & FTF's at the beginning last year, but once I "caught" my "feel" of the Gun(The SR9) I had very good groups out to 10 Yds. and Fair to Good beyond that..
    I'm not willing to have any work done(internally) to either Ruger, simply from what I have read here from folks is to get used to the trigger pull as another safety feature.
    My concern now is finding enough Spare mags. for all of my Autoloader handguns, speed loaders for My wife(she has a few, just not enough) YMMV...