Firearms Talk banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,542 Posts
Heaven forbid anyone even vaguely try (that isn't really known) to present a new idea, sell something (that isn't known), or offer up a way to change "that's the way we've always done it". Sounds like something I'd like to try. OP, post up more information, please.
Heaven forbid that someone join the forum for free advertising of their product and not expect to get honest feedback on their idea.

·
Supporting Member
12,176 Posts
Yes, I am all about new products and ideas. Those Polymer Targets would be great for self defense practice. And as stated we mostly plan on center mass shooting for Self Defense. And the point being honestly, off hand you will not get tight precision groups. And IMO in self defense applications we want a little spread on impact points. To create more blunt trauma spread.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yes, I am all about new products and ideas. Those Polymer Targets would be great for self defense practice. And as stated we mostly plan on center mass shooting for Self Defense. And the point being honestly, off hand you will not get tight precision groups. And IMO in self defense applications we want a little spread on impact points. To create more blunt trauma spread.

Exactly.

·
Premium Member
12,542 Posts

And what is it, that you suggest, that the plastic target can do that a piece of waste cardboard can't do?

By the way, the OP needs to tell us what that stuff sells for, so hey, OP what is the MSRP? I know that some people need the latest and greatest gimmick, but the only way to improve shooting is shooting. Bells and whistles are a waste of money that could be spent more effectively on ammo.

Reactions: leadcounsel

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm still at a loss as to how this is interpreted as advertising when the OPer didn't say who makes/sells them, what they cost, where/how to get them, yada yada. I take it as an option that people might be free to choose IF they were available, which they aren't. I like having options and reading about new things. This is one option I won't be buying IF there is a place to buy them at any price. I can see where and how they would have their place. Neat idea from someone.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm guessing these amazing new products are expensive.

Free is tactical. Every dollar I waste on polymer target stands is a dollar I cannot use for ammo, fuel to go to training, etc.

Screw or nail together some old 2x4s and scrap plywood we all tend to have laying around, and then cardboard which is essentially free, or scrap paper. Bingo, you have a target. Or any number of soda cans, milk jugs, whatever. Free targets. I keep any/all scrap cardboard in a pile, such as from pizza boxes. Makes fantastic targets. Then they go into the recycle bin so I'm helping to reduce/reuse/recycle and the enviroment.

I like metal targets because I like gong feedback.

The polymer ones don't provide the visibility like paper/cardboard. If you have to put something over them, that defeats the purpose. And polymer doesn't provide the feedback of paper or gongs.

Hard pass. Waste of money.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The polymer REACTIVE targets are fun to shoot. At a cost of $25 or so, not cheap, but fun.
Non-reactive, not so much fun.

Shooting from a bench, solid rest is absolutely necessary, when sighting in or testing ammo. Group size matters, so gain knowledge in your ammo and firearms capability.

Shooting off-hand, moving, awkward positions is an indication of YOUR skills, the benchrest group proved the gun and ammo are capable.

Immediate feedback is a key factor, knowing a hit from a miss is key. Not group size

When I develop a new, benchrest and group size are my concern.

After load development, my concern is training and skill development. Off hand shooting, awkward positions and making HITS, not small groups or bullseyes. Hunting loads are shot at varying ranges, on 8" gongs. Hits are immediately known. An 8" circle is in the vitals on a deer, hog, or 2 legged varmits.

Would i purchase a polymer target as in Op or similar?
Probably not. Hanging or somehow mounted to be reactive would make it somewhat more desireable, but cost is the major factor. Cardboard is cheap. Steel is more durable and reactive, at similar price.

·
Supporting Member
12,176 Posts
Chain

Regarding the Polymer Targets that the OP showed. Just as you mentioned I am curious about the price. I would assume they are fairly "expensive". And also too expensive just to stick targets on them used as a target backer.
And I also would be interested to see what pistol and shotgun ammunition would do to them.
I assume they would seal up like the corrugated backers I use with Rifle rounds?

For someone looking for an alternative here is what I use. I learned about the use of the corrugated plastic sheets from the Military. They did away with the Cheese Cloth Backers for the Target Stands and started using large white corrugated plastic sheets.

I will stick with my Corrugated Plastic Backers for Rifle shooting. They can be purchased from most any local plastics company. I get my from Nashville, TN. at Regal Plastics.
I did advise I do use cardboard for pistol and shotgun on a separate Target Stand due to the damage inflicted on the Cardboard. And always put it back inside if the cardboard is salvageable for another day's shoot!
The Corrugated Plastic for Rifles far exceeds that of cardboard. As I stated I use them for Target Backers and put Targets on them.
1. I can leave it up on my outdoor stand for months. As stated I normally use about two of them most years. (For Rifle Only!)
2. Rain and weather does not effect it at all. (Over a long time the Sun can make them a little brittle) And as you know the minute cardboard gets wet in a good rain it is done.
3. For Rifles, the Holes in the Corrugated Plastic Backers almost completely seal up after the bullet passes through it.
I presume because of the speed of the bullet and the heat generated by the bullet when it goes through the Plastic.
4. It will handle hundreds of rounds without needing to be replaced. I mostly shoot 22 - 223/5.56 - 308 - 7mm Rem Mag and others and it does the same thing with those calibers. So figured on the two Backers I normally use per year, the total for the year comes to under $14.00. And as I said, I do not have to put it up a new Backer up every time I shoot. Simply go stick a Target on it and have fun. :)

·
Premium Member
14,298 Posts
Or after an election you can gather up political signs to use as backers.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I use a small purpose made polymer target that I shoot at now and then. The bullet or buckshot makes a hole in it but the hole tends to close back up. The target moves when hit so, at say, 100 yards, I know if I made a decent shot when it jumps or moves. I bought it at Dick's a long time ago (before they went radical) and it's been used and shot more times than I would guess and shows no sign of ever "wearing out". Neat little product for very little money that I can re-use with no trouble at all. Maybe the OP invented it too.

·
Registered
143 Posts
When I go to the range, I want to know what I hit, not what everyone else hit. That requires not just one paper target but several paper targets in a range session. It seems to me that polymer targets are more suited for "familiarization fire" than actual practice fire.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
The purpose of a target is to see where you're hitting (or whether you're hitting at all). Wasting ammo on a piece of shot-up plastic tells the shooter only that the gun went off. The material appears to better backing material, however, than other stuff. A hundred B-27 paper targets roll up into a very small thing, can be scored then, using pasters shot again.

I'd rather shoot at dirt clods than someone else's shot up target.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
To me it's all what you want for shooting .
The amount you spend to have fun shooting depends on each person .
I like to just plink some times & have spent a lot of money & time on making targets . It is a hobby & fun .
Here a couple I made . Not for sale just for my small range .
New ideas are great to see & if people make a few bucks ...... well good for them .
target 5.JPG
white buffalo.JPG

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
It's funny, but 90% of the targets i have, were picked up at the range.
Steel spinners, poly poppers, steel gongs and silhouettes, stands, you name it. People get drunk I guess and leave everything.
I find magazines, scope turret covers, even boxes of ammo.
Waiting to find a gun...🤫😂

·
Supporting Member
12,176 Posts
OLD Ron

Very Nice!:)

·
Premium Member
9,991 Posts
The vast majority of my shooting is with rifles and muzzleloaders. i use plastic military type silhouettes nailed on wooden stands held in two pipes driven in the ground. A large piece of cardboard is stapled on the silhouette. A bulls eye target is stuck on the cardboard. When the cardboard gets shot up it's replaced. The silhouette lasts several months.

For most of my .22 shooting i use a homemade stand with two swinging gong targets. One gong has 3" and 6" inch 3/8" steel targets, the other gong has 2" and 6 inch. After a shooting session i spray the targets with traffic paint.

·
Premium Member
6,334 Posts
I'm still at a loss as to how this is interpreted as advertising when the OPer didn't say who makes/sells them, what they cost, where/how to get them, yada yada.
because he freely admitted his company makes them in his 2nd(?) post?

It's passive aggressive post selling

21 - 40 of 40 Posts