Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of a growing process to enhance efficiency, the IDF has issued a tender for the supply of multi-use polymer shooting range targets for the entire Ground Forces.

I thought this might be a great opportunity to explain why polymer targets are the future.

Polymer targets have multiple advantages over other products in the market. The high durability of such a target allows it to be used for weeks and even months depending on the model, company, ammo type, and level of training. this durability allows you to reduce the time of preparations needed for training, by using the same shooting target without replacing it, unlike cardboard targets that needed to be replaced frequently. Thus, lengthening the actual time available for combat training. Furthermore, the lightweight of the polymer shooting range target is much lighter than metal targets, allowing for an easier set-up of the training grounds with not much effort.

The reduction of training time is just one factor that may have influenced the IDF decision. until today, the IDF had to store a high amount of cardboard targets for combat firearms training. The use of polymer targets that can take more than 12,000 5.56 caliber rounds before needing to be replaced, allows to significantly reduce the storage volume for the shooting targets. The reduction of both target replacement and storage volume makes the polymer targets the most cost-effective solution in the market for firearms training.

As much as these two elements are important factors in the IDF considerations, some additional factors may have influenced the IDF decisions. Most of the Polymer targets in the market are devoid of any ricochet or fragmentation danger. Thus, elevating the training level of safety while providing more training options that were dangerous with other equipment, especially short-range rifle or pistol shooting drills, training that may be crucial for actual Close Quarters Battle (CQB) training.

When you combine all these factors together, it's hard to deny that Polymer shooting range targets provide better value for cost, a higher level of safety and training, and reduce training time. When you add into the fact that they can be used at difficult weather situations, are water-resistant, and can be easy to adjust to any training needs, the IDF decision seems to be an excellent one.

·
Premium Member
12,635 Posts
Just love that free advertising, huh?

·
Premium Member
14,306 Posts
Was the date on that press release April 1st? Kinda reminds me of the golf ball dimples on bullets release.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
\
Was the date on that press release April 1st? Kinda reminds me of the golf ball dimples on bullets release.
Actually, I wrote it when we won the tender on February 21st, I would also say I didn't mention the company name here as I was genuinely interested in the discussion this time, and our company is definitely not the only one making such targets in the market.
I honestly believe that Polymer targets are better, but If you have any argument as to why they are not as good I would be more than happy to hear.

·
Registered
593 Posts
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the benefits, lack of ricocheting being just one of them. I cringe when I see people walk up to 7 yds. of a steel target and shoot pistol ammo at it. It's just a matter of time, in fact there are utube videos of it happening.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the benefits, lack of ricocheting being just one of them. I cringe when I see people walk up to 7 yds. of a steel target and shoot pistol ammo at it. It's just a matter of time, in fact there are utube videos of it happening.
I completely agree.
I think the main problem that I heard people describing is that they don't get that immediate feedback when hearing the bullet hitting the target.

·
Premium Member
12,635 Posts
The point of shooting targets is to learn to reduce the size of your groups. What is the point of a target where you can not see the placement of your shots? You just as well be firing at the clouds. I see the rubber targets as just another firearm gimmick.

·
Premium Member
14,306 Posts
I can see Chains point. Now you need to manufacture some paper sleeves to fit over the target.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
Without a paper sleeve tailored to slip over the target (as well as reactivity - "pop-up" targets that drop when hit), Chain's point is well taken. I use used horse-bedding bags and masking-taped paper targets on them, over a frame I built with PVC pipe and it works well. They don't pop up/down, but with a little ingenuity, I could probably come up with something...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't necessarily agree that the entire point of shooting targets is to reduce the size of your groups. You can do close quarters training where you practice shooting from different positions like laying on the ground etc. where group size is not important and you are just getting familiar shooting from different awkward positions that you may find yourself in during a real encounter. Having said that, you still need to know if you are hitting your target. With a well worn polymer target near the end of it's life filled with thousands of holes, you wouldn't be able to distinguish your bullet holes from the others that were already in it and thus wouldn't be able to say with complete confidence that you hit the target at all. Unless the target was on a base that allowed it to fall when hit or at least move in some manner indicating a hit, you wouldn't be getting the feedback you need. Attaching a paper target to the front and using the polymer as a target backing might work as you would have a clean slate each time you did a drill.

Reactions: towboater

·
Registered
593 Posts
With paper targets, when one gets full of holes and no longer useful, we remove the target and tape another one on whatever the original target was either taped or stapled to. That wasn't very hard to figure out. The plastic "target" is just another means or item to place a paper target on, over and over and over and over and over........

·
Premium Member
12,635 Posts
I don't necessarily agree that the entire point of shooting targets is to reduce the size of your groups. You can do close quarters training where you practice shooting from different positions like laying on the ground etc. where group size is not important and you are just getting familiar shooting from different awkward positions that you may find yourself in during a real encounter. Having said that, you still need to know if you are hitting your target. With a well worn polymer target near the end of it's life filled with thousands of holes, you wouldn't be able to distinguish your bullet holes from the others that were already in it and thus wouldn't be able to say with complete confidence that you hit the target at all. Unless the target was on a base that allowed it to fall when hit or at least move in some manner indicating a hit, you wouldn't be getting the feedback you need. Attaching a paper target to the front and using the polymer as a target backing might work as you would have a clean slate each time you did a drill.
I you need to paste a paper target over it, then what value does it serve? If you don't think that getting feedback on the fall of your shots is important, than I have wasted tens of thousands of dollars on ammo.

I already staple paper plates at about a penny apiece onto a piece of waste cardboard, attached to a wooden frame, the cost is negligible and the results are good. Cardboard comes to my house for free on a regular basis....When my buddies shoot up the frame, it is one ripped 2x4. When the plates, cardboard and wood are used up, they are trashed or burned (they are both flammable and biodegradable), no plastic waste to dispose of.... Some people will buy it because it is a new thing, but I see no value it it.

k.i.s.s.

·
Supporting Member
12,199 Posts
For years and at the LE Swat Sniper Schools at the Army Base we used the new Corrugated Plastic Target Backers to paste the targets on. They were 6 X 8 ft. Sheets.(similar to thick corrugated For Sale Sign material) And you can fire literally hundreds of rifle rounds through them. Because the hole will almost seal up after the bullet passes through the plastic corrugated material.
So for our other rifle classes we purchased white corrugated sheets. 10 ea. cost $6.80 ea. and 50 at $6.50 each.in the following dimension square sheets. I purchase the following. Orders of:
24 x 36" and around 3/8in thick10 pcs 6.80 ea.50 pcs 6.50 ea.
I use about 1-2 of them per year on my little Range! But for pistol and shotgun I also use cardboard backers cut from boxes.

As stated for rifle rounds example 223/5.56, 308, 7.62X51 and other rifle calibers they last a long time. Also they are water proof so they also are great for that and you can leave them out on your Target Stand/s. Not all that great for pistol or shotgun because of the removal of large amounts of plastic when their bullet passes through. You can move the target around on them for pistol and shotgun but still they will suffer considerable damage on each outing!
But fantastic for Rifles!:)
I would only assume the Polymer Targets like shown in the first Post would be a little expensive???? Even though durable!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I see the GUR has changed his way of posting to hide the fact that he's hawking his product.
Where are the mods?

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
The point of shooting targets is to learn to reduce the size of your groups. What is the point of a target where you can not see the placement of your shots? You just as well be firing at the clouds. I see the rubber targets as just another firearm gimmick.
I carry shaker cans to the range. One white and one blaze orange. I can paint the target to reset on steel. I could see the benefit of these for close quarters training.
Otherwise, i use pizza boxes. One local restaurant prints targets on the bottom of their boxes!😁

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can see Chains point. Now you need to manufacture some paper sleeves to fit over the target.
There is no lack of paper targets in the market, and you can easy use spray glue or staple paper targets to it.
You can think of it as a composite backer.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I you need to paste a paper target over it, then what value does it serve? If you don't think that getting feedback on the fall of your shots is important, than I have wasted tens of thousands of dollars on ammo.

I already staple paper plates at about a penny apiece onto a piece of waste cardboard, attached to a wooden frame, the cost is negligible and the results are good. Cardboard comes to my house for free on a regular basis....When my buddies shoot up the frame, it is one ripped 2x4. When the plates, cardboard and wood are used up, they are trashed or burned (they are both flammable and biodegradable), no plastic waste to dispose of.... Some people will buy it because it is a new thing, but I see no value it it.

k.i.s.s.
I didn't say getting feedback on the fall of your shots wasn't important. Actually I pretty much said that it was important. What I said is that shooting tight groups isn't always the objective. If it were, you would only shoot off a bench rest and never shoot offhand as the groups you shoot offhand will not be as tight as the ones you shoot from the bench. In the case of pistol training, if you practice shooting while moving, shooting from awkward positions, etc., your groups will suck compared to the groups you shoot from a weaver stance or similar stable shooting position. However, despite the groups not being as good, you still need the feedback as to where you are hitting. Whereas a 2" group may be desirable when shooting from a stable position, hits anywhere in the torso may be all that is of concern when doing other drills from non standard positions. That is the point I was making.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Heaven forbid anyone even vaguely try (that isn't really known) to present a new idea, sell something (that isn't known), or offer up a way to change "that's the way we've always done it". Sounds like something I'd like to try. OP, post up more information, please.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts