Why Paul Harrel dislikes "Hyper" Ammunition.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by bluez, Sep 6, 2020.

1. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

What he calls "Hyper" ammunition I might call, "prestige" or "Boutique" ammo.
    In other words really nice premium carry rounds with extra fancy bullet tips.

I agree with his reasoning and have been carrying a "normal" non "boutique" mix for those same reasons... but was never able to articulate it in this manner though.... so hence the link..
    Discuss..

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  2. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Years ago, as it happens right about the time DoubleTap was firing up their operations, I was trying out a couple boxes of nearly every 9mm cartridge made. Putting a CZ through its paces, in order to find the most effective, reliable and consistent cartridge possible for that sidearm.

Turns out, one of the "hot" Federal 9mm 124gr JHP rounds and the "hot" DoubleTap 9mm 124gr JHP functioned perfectly in the gun. Measurably longer than nearly every other cartridge, the gun ate those up and never bobbled at all. Either could be called a "boutique" cartridge, I suppose. Darned good stuff.

That said, for all the basic reasons of mentioned in the video above, I agree it's worthwhile to find commonplace, easily-obtained, "off the shelf" ammo wherever possible. So long as it functions well and effectively in the gun.

Rifling82 likes this.

3. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for that post. I found his reasoning to be quite logical and well delivered, and in my own experience, true.

I am certainly guilty of "conserving" my gold plated ammo, past what logic would dictate. I have a valid reason for that; it is my Scottish ancestry. ;)

I really agree with his 7th supposition. When a prosecutor is holding up a box of Zombie Exploder ammo in front of a jury, and questioning you on why you chose the most "deadly" ammo you could by, could easily push the jury over the edge into marking you as someone intentionally out to kill. You just don't want to give a prosecutor "ammo" to use against you.

I somewhat disagree that the investigating police would be making the same types of judgement, because they understand why you might want to carry "widow maker" ammo.

bluez and AgedWarrior like this.
  4. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

He has a few more videos on “hyper” ammo, good stuff. He’s been involved in two self defense shootings

5. G66enigma

Yup.

As with the "Punisher" logos, or cutesie "death & destruction" phrases plastered over ostensibly defensive arms, etc.

It's just one easily-avoided risk nobody should ignore. Prosecutors and juries being the malleable and impressionable types they are.

Along those lines, I have on several occasions hired a competent gunsmith to explicitly raise the trigger pull-weights during trigger jobs in order to be more in line with my concept of a clearly-defensive firearm I'm using to protect me and others. The last thing I want, in the area of trigger pull weight and sear engagement is the proverbial "hair-trigger" setup. God forbid, with the no-manual-thumb-safety sidearms I use, something goes wrong and I touch off a round unintended, and that round harms someone. And should that "someone" be a three year old child over yonder, I'd likely plead "no contest" and go begin my lifetime penance for the screw-up in an attempt to make amends.

Every little bit helps. Including avoiding the obvious chuckholes we often dig right before our own feet.

BullMoose429 and Chainfire like this.
  6. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I have been saying for MANY years, "There is no such thing as a magic bullet"!!!;)

Rifling82 likes this.
  7. Rifling82

8. Chuck Roberts

Chuck Roberts Active Member

I agree with many of Paul’s conclusions and opinions.

One of the reasons I went back to revolvers , specifically j frames, was for the option of old style cast bullets, specifically Keith or Thompson style that are cheap to use, and very effective.

Anything that is velocity dependent in order to work correctly is just one too many variables for me.

The plus side is I can practice with my carry ammo at no additional cost.

Chainfire and G66enigma like this.
  9. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Was he a cop, or does he just hang out in the wrong places? I have been in places where I would have liked to shoot people, but never where I needed to.

Oaktree45 and locutus like this.
  10. Rifling82

I’m not sure on all the circumstances. No he was not a cop

11. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Okay but how do you know the next magic bullet is not magic if it looks like a shiny fossil piranha? They wouldn't be able to sell it for $1.75 a pop if it wasn't, right?
    Who would you rather believe, a YouTube curmudgeon or a reputable pro-2A pro-American leading ammunition manufacturer?

Gotcha

Caveman Jim, locutus and Rifling82 like this.
  12. Rifling82

The good thing about the YouTube guys is they do experiments with the ammo in different barrel lengths shooting them into gel or meat targets etc.

13. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Mr. Harrell is highly respected.
    I think his opinion gives us good food for thought.
    You are welcome to disagree, but I see no reason to disparage the man.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Chuck Roberts and Mercator like this.
  14. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

15. Mercator

Bluez I was only checking your eyesight :)

16. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

Paul Herrels jacket appears to have been made by the wizard or witch who made Hermiones extensible bag. He may not have Brock Lesnear in a pocket, but he can probably produce a midget wrestler.

Rifling82 and Mercator like this.
  17. G66enigma

Well, "boutique" or just hotly-loaded stuff, I can categorically say that the DoubleTap 9mm 124gr +P JHP Bonded Defense ammo is pretty great. Makes a mess of a phone book, and a chicken carcass, and a couple other "meaty" things. It'll do.

That said, it's certainly not "range" ammo. Much prefer basic American Eagle, or Winchester "White Box," MagTech's basic, or similar. Currently going through a case of CCI/Speer aluminum-cased 115gr cartridges. Economical, decently-performing.

Rifling82 likes this.
  18. Rifling82

Paul Harrell makes some pretty good videos, it does seem like he’s stuck in the 90’s Which cracks me up, and his extreme details he gives

Chuck Roberts likes this.
  19. BullMoose429

BullMoose429 Well-Known Member

I agree with what he had to say with regard to defensive ammunition. All of his points were very valid. In my opinion (and I have never been involved with a defensive gun use so my opinion may not be the most difficult informed) a lot of that performance ammunition is just an overpriced hollow point with a rubber tip. Human beings are not particularly strong or robust- any basic hollow point should be sufficient for personal defense.

As far as ammo for hunting and wildlife defense goes however- there is a place for “hyper ammo”. I will say that basic soft points by far are the best choice for hunting, but as far as wildlife defense goes- the Underwood and Buffalo Bore stuff is absolutely no joke. When you’re dealing with a 1500 on moose or a 900 lob bear- those “hyper” bullets can make the difference between life and death.

bluez likes this.
  20. Mercator

Paul dislikes anything hyper. Most YouTube presenters can’t help trying to act and sound like fantasy team six. Here is a competent, totally unpretentious guy who you can trust. You may disagree, but you know his opinion is solid from experience and not to impress anyone or sell anything. I was joking about him of course, I wish there were more people like him to keep the image peddlers honest.

Oldoutlaw and bluez like this.