Why not lever action?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Ruby476, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Ruby476

Ruby476 New Member

I was in a well stocked & helpful gun shop today (independent - not box store) and was checking out a rifle. Just for the heck of it shouldered a new Browning BLR Lightweight in same caliber - .223. It fit beautifully. Eye went right down the iron sights. Felt great.

Shop owner said - I'll sell it to you but its not what you want. Went on to say I don't want a lever rifle for target. I had to step away and think about what to do.

Why not? Anyone?

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

You have a dumass shop owner :confused:
    Only answer I can think of-

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

hmmm no ya dont want to give me your money for that gun. cause that would be just ignant... levers are great. buy it if the price is right. shoot it till your hearts content

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Love my lever actions. For pure, benchrest target work, you have a longer lock time whe you have an external, swinging hammer, and they may be less accurate than a bolt action. But we ARE speaking of fractions of an inch at 100 yards.

Lock time- the period between the trigger releasing the sear, and the rifle firing.

5. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

? I dont get it?

Why would a .223 Browning BLR not be a good target rifle? Is the shop keeper saying Browning builds crap gun's?
    may be hard sandbagging a lever but for off hand shooting there very good.

all that stuff about inaccurate levers is generated by most old stuff, newer guns I wouldent bet against them for accuracy.
    there are some the old guns (not many) that were very accurate, one the most accurat .22's I had was a Winchester 9422, the most accurate lever centerfire I had was a Winchester model 64 in 30-30.
    I was in the gunshop when the shopkeeper unboxed a new Browning BLR in .338Win Mag.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  6. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Sounds like he was discussing his personal preference, and not much more. Rifles are a lot like pistols in that your personal taste has to come into account.
    Lever's are fun and really carry a flair, in my opinion. Had an old 336Cl and I loved it. A good lever action is a joy to use, and something that you yourself have to decide if you want it.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I loved my old Savage 99 in .308. The lever feels a lot more friendly than a bolt for a follow up. Then there was the Marlin in 35 rem and the 45-70 and the 44 mag. Out of the 3 Marlins I liked the 35 Rem the best.

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I loved my .308 BLR, but it was nasty to shoot. I'm not small, nore am I afraid of recoil, but that gun w/ the strait stock was a handful. If you like the rifle, and it shoulders/ points well, get it if funds permit.

9. Win73

Win73 New Member

I like lever actions. I have two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Maybe it was the length of the barrel on the lever action you were looking at? A shorter carbine length barrel would not be as good a target gun as a longer barreled gun.

If your shooting rest is low to the bench top, a lever would cause a problem shooting it if you had to lift the gun up everytime to operate the lever. That is where a bolt gun would have an advantage.

Levers are just plain cool. I have two currently, Marlin 336 .30-30 and Henry Frontier .22, and will be purchasing another when the right gun crosses my path. BTW, I would love to find a lever 12/20 gauge shotgun.

11. unclebear

unclebear New Member

plan and simple lever actions are simple, rough rifles, there good for putting through hell, target shooting, hunting... etc. then again there might have been issues with that rifle.

i love lever actions i dont see why the shop owner would say that then again he might just be a dumbass.

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I figured it out-
    The OP was looking at one like one of mine - No, its not a tack driver :p

[​IMG]

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i say if you liked the rifle and it shouldered well and the price was in your range, then buy it. browning make very good rifles and hold their value well. i myself like lever actions and am partial to the older winchesters and marlins. if you were looking for a target rifle, then shooting a lever is harder from a rest or bags vs a bolt action, but no reason not to buy itif it's what you like. we all make sacrifices for guns we like and enjoy shooting!

14. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Browning BLR in 30-06 - Nice Rifle

I love the Browning BLR and shoot it in 30-06. Granted, for range bench shooting, the lever is inconvenient. But for hunting, the Browning BLR is fast and deadly.

Unlike many 30-30 lever actions, the Browning BLR is actually a lever operated bolt action, with a bolt that locks up just like a traditional bolt action. The Browning BLR is fed from a stack type magazine as opposed to a tube like many 30-30 lever actions. This means the Browning BLR can chamber pointed rounds.

The combination of lever bolt design and a stacked magazine means the Browning BLR can be chambered in higher power, higher ballistic coefficient rounds compared to traditional lever actions, making the Browning BLR an excellent gun for hunting larger game.

In the field, the Browning BLR is a fast shooter and an accurate shooter. I've never weighed it, but it feels heavier than the advertised seven and a half pounds. The matt stainless barrel with laminated stock is great looking too. A Montana knot sling allows it to come off the shoulder fast for a rack and first shot.

[​IMG]

15. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I don't think the owner handled that very well, but I do think he had good intentions? The lever action is a great gun but it's not the first thing that comes to mind for target shooting. I would recommend one in a heartbeat to someone looking for a great hunting rifle, but I wouldn't recommend one to someone looking for a target rifle. I suspect the owner was just trying to make sure he ended up with a happy customer, even though it cost him a sale?

16. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

Who wouldn't want to own a "Hillbilly Assault Rifle"

17. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

It sounds like the owner was "pushing" inventory that doesn't sell too well.

18. Axxe55

IMO, if some one goes in looking for a specific type gun or caliber, sell them what they ask for with gentle suggestions what might be better. but if not for sure as to what you want, then try to find what might be better for them based on what they intend to use the firearm for.

19. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Lever-action rifles rock!

20. Axxe55

yeah they do! reminds me i need to add one to the collection, thinking of one chambered in 44 mag. so i could use the same ammo i use in my revolver. or maybe one in 30-30? maybe both?