Why not? Bought a Makarov

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by indy36, Feb 23, 2013.

1. indy36

indy36 New Member

Guns are fun so why not. Picked one up today just because. Made in Russia by Imez. Model IJ70-18A. Came with the holster and extra magazine and tool. Also picked up two boxes of 9mm Makarov ammo so, maybe a visit to the range this weekend. It seems well made and I like how it comes apart. Just flip the trigger guard down and pull the slide back and up. It's a piece of history and now it's mine.

image-1371068450.jpg

image-2716578938.jpg

image-1240546847.jpg

image-2626637029.jpg

image-3024834624.jpg

2. mcb

mcb New Member

Congrats. I've always been wanted to shoot one but have never had an opportunity.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

You did gud-
    I had a Russian & a Bulgarian & loved them-
    WHY in hell didn't i keep one? :(

4. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

:cool: neat little guns! Reliable and fairly accurate in my exp with them! That is a clean example you have there too!

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

That looks like a nice setup. Congrats.

6. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Nice. What are they going for these days if ya don't mind me asking. I was always meaning to pick one up back in the mid '90s but never did. I think one in unissued shape was about $120.00 then if I remember right (and I rarely do).

7. indy36

indy36 New Member

The LGS had 3 of them. All were $295. I got the best of the 3. Last time I was at this store I got a Walther PPK/S for $495. I don't know just how much I overpaid but I've not seen Walthers for less so I figured the Mak wasn't way out of line either. Both should be fun to shoot and I might even work the PPK into carry rotation.

image-298999917.jpg

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Wow- gone up a bit ---

9. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Holy smoke. I paid about $90 for mine barely used in the box with all the stuff from a guy at work. The holster with a spare mag I had to buy for $7 unissued. Great guns for the price -- almost sorry I left it in the trunk to get wet and get a few rust spots but it's a Makarov so who gives a carp except for the fanatics.

There's another forum and one particular bender from the Northwest, a guy who section-eighted out of the military and got caught lying he is still a soldier because he is a contract-worker food server, that collects Makarov ammo and has been repeatedly caught lying about their stats too. The idiot actually shot his chronograph but is defended by white trash.

Well he and these other small-fry inbreeds try to tell everyone the Russians were the most ingenious craftsmen and didn't copy Walther's design of the PP and even the 9mm Ultra ammo. Hell, we know the exact date the Russian Army stole the ammo plans in Germany!

Enjoy, but don't become a cult member. The Makarov was a great gun for what it was because it was cheap. Not for any other reason the working poor might pretend. Now they are just scarcer. Don't fall into the Russian Milsurp trap and start defending what you bought as something extraordinary -- it isn't. It and the P-64 are go-to working guns of mine because I do not care what happens to them and they do what a gun should do. For the price you paid I'd probably have gotten something else but it's not the worst purchase at all nowadays and you'll probably wanna baby it more than I did...

Oh, yours is probably .380 right? I changed mine back to proper 9mm Makarov.

I suppose the Warsaw Block didn't copy the Walther PPK either (no "S" for the extra-round-holding version)? Compare the pics yourself.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  10. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

Agreed on the fanatic part!
    I have an SKS, and I somewhat prefer it over AK, but I don't defend it to the death as the best weapon ever devised. I often hear mosin owners talk about how God-awesome the mosin is, but its just a cheap mil surp rifle. I don't talk about how much better Mauser is, do I? :D

11. Sentry18

Sentry18 New Member

Nice. The Mak is a great gun. I sold off my Mak collection many years ago and have often wondered what kind of mental defect made me decide to do that. I pretty much had them all; from East German to Arsenal to a Norinco Type 59. I miss the East German the most. The fit and finish was unreal.

12. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

If you want to be a fanatic with your Mak go right ahead. You paid a fair price for the gun with the extras. I would say, well done!

What you have is known as the Russian Commercial, they have the adjustable rear sights.

The Makarov doesn't have any mystical aura to them, however they are a good example of Russian practicality applied to handguns. The Makarov is a solid, well built gun designed with fewer parts that the Walther specifically for military and police use.

My Makarov sits in good company with my 1911s and will remain there for a long time to come. If you want to learn more from other Mak owners go to:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?46-The-Makarov-Forum

[​IMG]

13. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

A fair price? Really, compared to what!? And there's what I'm talking about...

To the Makarov fanatic a cheapened copy of a Walther becomes a "practical... gun designed with fewer parts... specifiaclly for military and police use." You see, it's BETTER than a Walther, maybe like the wonderful East German military bluing. Pllleeeze. And to mention it in the same breath as the 1911? Fanatic or not... Really? Seriouly!? The heavy blowback Makarov was obsolete for military purposes the day it was introduced.

By the way, that happens to be the choir of Makarov inbreeds (created by a guy who sold them, parts and after-market products for them) I was referring to earlier. I certainly wouldn't mention them by name and never post a competing forum's URL here!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  14. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

I bet you're a lot of fun a parties.

The OP paid a fair price compared to the selling price of other Makarovs. Did you think I was comparing it to other brands? What kind of person would think that?

Where did I write it was better than a Walther? I was emphasizing that it was quite different and why it is so. Different is neither good nor bad, just different.

My Makarov and my 1911s are my guns and I can say that in the same breath every day if I want.

Are these forums in competition? Really? I missed that in the rule book. All I was trying to do was help out the OP.

Please note that at no time did I resort to name calling. That is not polite and really is not an effective way to win an argument.

Try to enjoy the shooting sports instead of being its biggest critic. You'll have more fun and make more friends.

Alas, I now await a truly eloquent response.

15. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox New Member

Much respect, but my old ruski is still my favorite rifle :)

16. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Com'on now Desert -- tell everyone how old you are please.

And I don't need to say anymore -- I've already said a Makarov is one of my go-to guns. I actually carried one (P-64 now) and shoot 'em so know what they are, also what they aren't, and don't (re)write history around things because I spent the monthly check on them.

17. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox New Member

I'm 15. But I was talking about my 91/30. All I said was it was my favorite rifle.

18. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Thanks. I know lil' buddy, it's just important to put things in correct and complete context sometimes, just like the Makarov itself which has been my whole point.

19. indy36

indy36 New Member

Goodness. All I said is I bought one, not that I worshiped it. It's gun #13 for me. It's just one of many, and I've got 1911s and Glocks, so, can we all just get along? And it's the 9x18 version and it will probably be used twice a year because I have other things to enjoy. I promise not to kiss it at night and to put my pee pee in the barrel.

20. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Looks nice. Seen 3 other day from 289 to 340....