Why no Buckshot for hunting?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by pumpkinball, Dec 28, 2010.

1. pumpkinball

pumpkinball New Member

Okay...
    Uhhmmmm...
    I'm confused...
    Tennessee doesn't allow hunting large game with buckshot.
    Uhhhh.......
    Isn't that why they call it "buckshot"?
    I mean some good 00 is approximately the same as multiple 38 caliber rounds, give or take a little.
    And it's legal to hunt deer with any center fire weapon as long as the BBL is a minimum of 4".
    So what's the deal with this?
    I'm still fairly new to TN, so any locals know the reasoning behind this?
    Or any of you non-Tennesseeans have the same law?
    I do prefer to hunt with slugs, but some 00 would be nice for the closer range shots though.
    Maybe it's just me, but I think this is about crazy.
    :confused:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2011
  2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Buickshot is just a name someone hung on large pellet shot loads. I guess to differentiate it from birdshot.

Maybe PC ruled 100 years ago. They did not want to call it "Manshot".

Buckshot is very devistating against very thin skinned targets, really large varmints...aka people. The penetration is notoriously shallow on larger medium skinned game like deer. I feel it is inhumane to hunt deer with buckshot.

3. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Yeah, so buy slugs. Plenty of varieties to look at too, I even have some in the shop from Brown Bear- Russian made, I guess, it sure does kick on the shoulder side!

4. doctherock

doctherock New Member

They have some nice hollow-point ammo for the Shotguns now, wonder if they are legal for deer.

5. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

hell...they even have slugs where the sabots around them have backwards facing tails that gradually slow down and slip off the slug instead of using non-aerodynamic resistance to push it off....also, there are slugs made of a razor blade core with a gelatin substance around it where upon impact, the gel deforms and presents the blades to mangle flesh.

on top are taser rounds and even grenade rounds...but those toys are off limits.

Hexolit Blade Slugs
    http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/132/132180.jpg

Taser Rounds
    http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/07/xrep_banner05.jpg

Grenade Rounds
    http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img479/228/frag12projectile14tg.jpg

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I had thought about a new kid of slug for police. It would consist of a metal slug that was a hollow tube where the forward end was razor sharp and the gel core would deform and allow the cutting edge to punch 12ga sized holes in the sidewall or tread of the tires of fleeing suspects. Or 12 ga holes in the heads of kid touchers.

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've never been a fan of buckshot for deer outside of about 30 yards. I have taken a couple of deer with buckshot but I don't use it anymore. If I go into the woods with a shotgun it's got slugs in it. Most of my big game firearm hunting is done with a pistol or rifle.

8. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

@cpttango30

Doesn't it always seem like the moment you have a great idea that you find out they just made it?

9. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

Buckshot is still legal in many...

"Short range weapon hunts" in many states! I have never used buckshot to
    harvest a deer, but I use #4 buckshot/ prowler shot in my riotgun! :D I carry
    a mix load of 12 ga shells that hold 22 ea .230 cal pellets or the mag loads
    that hold 41 pellets of the same size! (Either way, someone is going to feel a
    world of hurt) if they give me a reason to pull the trigger!!! The #4 buckshot
    works very well on coyotes & (maybe wolves?)!:rolleyes: A friend of mine "blew
    the head off" a coyote that had killed his dog with a shotgun I sold him with a
    12ga 22 pellet shell!:)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  10. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

Ive never put a round of buckshot through my shotgun, but I imagine that that shel is the main reason why people dont wanna mess with the business end of a scatter gun....

or how about the billy the kid tale where sherrif Bob Ollinger loaded his shot shells with 9 dimes in each shell...... and if youve ever seen Young Guns with Emilio Estevez youd remember thats the best $1.80 youll ever spend :D

11. Justen.223

Justen.223 New Member

sounds like a damn good idea to me... why not pursue it?

12. Hawg

Hawg New Member

I've used it as the chambered round in a short barreled gun when trying to jump deer in dense woods backed up with slugs.

13. 12bhunting

12bhunting New Member

I have killed around 15 deer using buckshot and have never had any issues. Farthest shot was 48 yards closest was around 2 yards. But I am in Florida so it is legal here.

14. powg

powg New Member

buckshot on deer

never used buckshot on deer ..yet ..going to hunt in ga...this next season ..with dogs ...will stoke my home-built custom 870 with #4 ..buck ..works great on big hogs ..

15. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

Well, as a (rule of thumb)...

Shotguns with a "fixed choke" like my first one, a Brazilian side by side 2& 3/4
    " shell 12 ga should not be trusted with slugs or buckshot as they typically
    have a "modified, (left barrel) & "full choke", (right barrel) that was meant to
    fire "birdshot only"! Open cylinder & improved cylinder barrels were the
    reccomended choices for those loads when I attended my hunter safety
    class in 1980. Ajustable chokes were the (norm) back then, for shotguns...
    but that technology seems to have been phased out. My "all around shot-
    gun nowadays" is my Mossberg 500A with a pistolgrip & a pistolgrip foreend
    in open cylinder 20" barrel that holds 8 2&3/4" or 7 3" 12 ga rounds with a
    sidesaddle 6 round ammo holder with a foldaway stock that doubles as a
    carry handle! It affords me the most firepower of any weapon I own! It can
    be loaded "on the go" without the tubular magazine being empty & gives the
    option of inserting a different load if I choose! Sure, if I choose to hunt birds,
    small mammals in my state I have to install the wood rod after I have filled my
    tag while accompanying my father to fill his tag! That restricts the weapon
    to 3 to 4 shots...But, I can still add a slug or buckshot to the mag if I am
    confronted by a creature that might try to kill me!:eek:

16. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

adjustable chokes havent phased out at all.....all 5 of my shotguns have that feature

17. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

People around have used buckshot for years on deer. I like a slug better. I'm not sure why it's illegal but with there being a better alternative (to me) that particular law would not affect me any.

18. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

I knew I'd get "shot down"...

For that statement!:D BUT, no one in my circle of friends use them! And
    ajustable choke shotguns are very rare @ the Coeur d Alene ID or the
    Spokane WA gunshows. And "btw" Pop & I will be at the Spokane gun show
    today, & I will keep (my eyes peeled) for a shotgun with an ajustable choke!
    The "only excuse" I can offer is that small game & skeet shooting is not very
    popular here. I rarely get to use my shotguns like I did in California where
    rabbits & hares were in greater numbers over 20 years ago! And, I consider
    myself "lucky" if I get the time to hunt deer & elk...but our "varying hares"
    are very hard to find in huntable numbers in late fall! (That sucks when Pop
    & I who are long time Beagle owners do not have a huntable population of
    them)! I have been training my 2yr old Jethro for the past 2 seasons as my
    companion during the big game hunt & he has learned to cope with the Much
    louder weapon & shows great promise for the 2011 season!:D

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I shoot slugs and buckshot out of a modified choke Model 12 shotgun.

Why can't you use slugs or buckshot in them? I have seen plenty of coyote hunters shoot buckshot in full choked barrels.