Why no bolt gun chambered in 5.7x28

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by alwaysarmed, Apr 6, 2014.

1. alwaysarmed

alwaysarmed New Member

I think the 5.7x28 would be a great round for coyotes and liked size critters.
    Yes I know that a .22hornet is better suited for the job and has more factory loaded ammo. I'm Just surprised no one is making a bolt gun in 5.7

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

The Savage Model 25 Walking Varminter is available in 5.7x28mm !..........

3. Salvo

Salvo New Member

I'm surprised that CZ hasn't turned out a mini-Mauser in that chambering.

It should be easier to reload than .22 Hornet, the cases should last longer and you can often pick up the brass for free at the shooting range.

Much more economical than the Hornet. It has a smaller case but operates at higher pressure, so ballistics should be somewhere in the same ball-park.

Hard to compare without same-length barrels to work with.

I have heard of Contender barrels, but that's a single-shot.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would wait until the 5.7x28 is established as a pistol round. Everyone wants a 5.7 until they find out they can't get ammo that will penetrate a bullet proof vest. Most people want a real varmint rifle in a varmint caliber. The 5.7 would be a fair varmint cartridge but pretty lame compared to more versatile caliber like a 243 or a 25/06.

5. tuck2

tuck2 New Member

I read about reloading the 5.7 X 28 cartridge few years ago .They use the same bullets as used in the 22 Hornet but had a smaller powder case capacity with a higher psi and fired the ammo in a semi auto hand gun. Should the cartridge be fired in a rifle barrel of the length as a Hornet the bullet velocity would some what less but some what more than a bullet fired from a 22 WMR rifle. It would be a pour choice for shooting coyotes at any distance. But it would be an interesting round for shooting prairie dog pups in the spring when there are a lot of shots within 150 yards. A 17 HMR rim fire would be just as good and one would have not have to take the time to reload the center fire ammo. It was news to me that the Savage model 25 rifle had ben chambered for the 5.7X 28 MM round. Might be fun to try one. Savage may longer be chambering their model 25 for the 5.7 cartridge.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

most rifle cartridges will penetrate a bullet proof vest with out being armor piercing. and BTW armor piercing ammo in pistol calibers is illegal IIRC. so why would someone be looking for something they can't legally own anyways?

please refer to the ATF site, Title 18, USC, Chapter 44, Public Law 103-322.

it will explain the illegalities of armor piercing ammo in pistol calibers.

7. tuck2

tuck2 New Member

The 5.7 cartridge is not listed on the Savage web site as one now chambered for the Savage Mdl 25 rifle. One can get a excellent Remington 221 Fireball rifle which produces more bullet energy than the 5.7 or 22 Hornet rifle. The Fireball has little recoil and muzzle blast.

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

The 5.7x28mm is only available as factory order & only in the Model 25 Walking Varminter !.................

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Probably the same reason why bolt actions are not normally offered in 7.62x25 or 357 SIG - it offers no particular advantage in this type of firearm.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Why not use a 223?? Same bullet waaaaaay better ballistics. Most .224 bullets perform horribly at the very low velocity of the 5.7x28. They need the speed to be effective.

Most 22wmr rounds outperform to 5.7x28. You don't get much of a boost from a longer barrel on the 5.7 because it uses pistol powder. I suppppppose you could use rifle powder but then you lack case capacity.

The 5.7 like 40sw is a an answer still on the hunt for a problem.

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I think the point was to pack 20+1 high velocity rounds in a service pistol.

12. orangello

orangello New Member

Why not just go +p with a big CZ or 92FS; they have mags that big?

How much more force does it really get you comparatively?

13. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Those are extension mags. FN apparently wanted to limit the grip size, but provide enough bullet velocity to penetrate light armor. It is true a hot 9mm will do the same at least. There was a recent article (Shotgun News?) - all Russian military 9mm ammo is armor piercing.

14. orangello

orangello New Member

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/P-09Duty/ OK, 19 round mag and not in the cz-75b.

Makes sense, their .380acp/9mmMak has always had a reputation as being hotter than our .380acp.

I still think the 7.62x25 could have served the same purpose with a more modern projectile. I keep my cz-52 ready, just in case armored ninjas attack.

15. alwaysarmed

alwaysarmed New Member

I had herd about the savage but when I looked on there website seen nothing on it. Like I said l know there are much better choices that would be more practical. I just think it would be a neat and fun varmint gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Read Post #8.................

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

I run 20 round mecgars in my m9a1. Gives me 21 before a reload. Mag doesnt stick out the bottom too much

[​IMG]

Mecgar in the gun and the one on the right is the oem beretta 15 rounder. Replace the mecgar +2 floorplate turns it into a flush fit 18rounder. I find the flush mags a severe disadvantage on reloads as they are much harder to seat quickly.

90-115 grainers in fmj are sufficient and well known for their ability to punch holes reallllly well. They don't need much help. I carry hornady critical defense in the gun and fmj in the spare mags.