Why No 5 Shot .44 Mags?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by ninjatoth, Apr 5, 2012.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I have wondered this for a little while now,maybe someone can shed some light on this question,but why are there no 5 shot .44 magnum compact revolvers?I have seen a few 6 shot .44 mag snubs but no one makes a 5 shot.Seems like there would be a market for one with the ccw craze.

2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

That's a good question. I'm not sure why they don't. It could just be tradition (6 cylinder is the norm), or maybe they think people want it to hold as many rounds as possible (if you have to have 6 rounds of 44 mag to take something down, you need a bigger gun)

3. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Taurus Tracker---you could make it shorter easily. Charter Arms makes the
    Bulldog in a 5 shot 44 special.

4. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

The 44 mag is a great hunting round but a bit much much for ccw. I think over penetration would be a bit of a problem. I wouldn't want to be standing behind the bad guy when you shoot him or even in the next room when you shoot him. As for 2 inch barrels on magnums, sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it. Why have a round with all that powder and then handicap it with no barrel to burn it in.

5. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I know that this is the old way of thinking with the .44 mag,and at one point all you could get were 240gr softpoints and they would probably overpenetrate,but now days you can find loads that are technically "magnum"but are only 180gr and 165gr hollowpoints,or even some of the hotter corbon or hornady .44 specials would do well in it.I agree that a 2" barrel is a little short and cuts out alot of energy,6" is best for a 44 mag.4" is decent,but I wouldn't mind even a 4" barrel as long as it had a thin enough cylinder which comes to my main question,why no 5 shot 44 mags?

6. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

If you are going to carry mild loads or specials in it buy a 44 special they make those in 5 shot models.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Your question has already been answered by billm. Taurus Tracker is a light weight (34 oz) 5 shot 44 mag with muzzle brake.
    http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=227&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  8. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

It just looks a little big to me.In my head I imagine that S&W nightguard .44 mag,2.5" barrel-but instead of the 6 round cylinder,a 5 round.Something like that.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57773_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Model: 329 Night Guard™
    .Caliber: .44 Magnum®
    .44 S&W Special
    .Capacity: 6 Rounds
    .Barrel Length: 2.5" / 6.4 cm
    .Front Sight: XS Sights® 24/7 Tritium Night
    .Rear Sight: Cylinder & Slide Fixed
    .Overall Length: 7.75" / 19.7 cm
    .Weight Empty: 29.3 oz / 830.7 g
    .Action: Single/Double Action
    .Frame Size: Large - Exposed Hammer
    .Grip: Synthetic
    .Material: Scandium Alloy Frame
    Stainless Steel Cylinder
    .Finish: Matte Black
    .Purpose: Personal Protection
    Professional / Duty

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  9. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Present your Idea to S&W. Maybee they will call it the "Ninja Magnum"!

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

So what you want is a 5 shot L frame. Like Tackleberry1 stated, call S&W or maybe Ruger about a GP100. Ruger has a place on their website to send ideas to the CEO. You could try Taurus also as they would only have to shorten the barrel.

11. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I should tell Ruger,they seem to be giving people what they ask for,even if it strays away from the norm.Just like that sp101 357 with a 4" barrel.I think it was a great idea to take a smaller frame 357 5 shot and give it a 4.2" barrel,it's darn near as concealable,but if you actually had to use it that extra barrel length will make all the difference in the world as far as stopping power and accuracy.

12. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

The .44 Magnum round is not too well suited to compact revolvers. The flash and blast is overwhelming to the shooter, and the gun would be too hard to control in a compact package.

The 4" Model 29 S&W is as small a practical package for the Magnum, and can be fairly easily concealed, so why bother?

As much as I love the .44 Magnum, I prefer to carry a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Special.

Bob Wright

13. Why no five shot .44 Magnums?

Why not? Probably because the five shot .44 Specials do pretty much the same job for most folks.

Yes, a similar revolver in a short barreled, five shot configuration would give a bit more velocity in .44 Magnum, but that means more recoil. Most folks do not want to play huge recoil games, so to speak. How many people own small .357 Magnum revolvers and shoot .38 Special +p almost exclusively?

The answer to your question is "Not enough market to be profitable."

14. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Where I am coming from is that-yes, loading a compact .44 mag for self defense on a daily basis would fair better with .44 specials,but I like anything that's gonna give you a dual purpose.Such as someone that decides they are gonna go for a walk where large dangerous animals live-the gun carrier might think,hmm,maybe I better load my gun with some magnums today,I like the extra option.If all I had was a Charter arms .44 speacial,then this would not be an option-same as people that own .357 snubs-they could have bought a straight .38 at a lower cost but they got a .357 to always have the option of going bigger for whatever reason.

15. natman

natman Member

If you've ever fired a Charter Bulldog, you'll know that the recoil is about all you'd want, even with factory 44 Specials. With warm 44 Specials, it's at the limit of controllability. While it would be possible to make a 44 Mag version of a Bulldog, it wouldn't last very long under 44 Magnum stress. Which wouldn't be too much of a problem, since it certainly wouldn't be shot very often.

16. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Because six shots are better than 5. :D