why live where you do?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by countryboy, Jan 8, 2012.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Why do you live where you live? Do you live where you want to? If not, why not? Show us the light, where should all of us constitutional, gun toting nuts take up residence.

Personally, I live in Virginia beach, Virginia because the us navy said so. It's the only place to find the unit I'm with. I'd rather live in Mississippi again. I think their only down fall is poor economy and poor job opportunities. But coming to the end of my contract and facing the possibility of leaving the military, where should I take a good long look at?

EXPENDABLE

2. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I live where I live because of school. I like Texas for their concept of freedom, but the ol lady says no. Will end up in Colorado most likely, but would prefer Wyoming or Montana for the same reasons as Texas, but more scenic. I'll never live in a left leaning state.

3. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

But with the way this country is headed I could find more freedoms in another country. So that's always an option.

4. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Which country? Not a challenge, I'm just curious.

EXPENDABLE

5. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I don't often turn people on to our state...primarily because I don't want a bunch of "misplaced" libs coming here and trying to change it. But, I live in Ok. The weather is tolerable, as long as it's not blowing in a "tight circular fashion", if you catch my drift. We have CC/CWP. The people are friendly and conservative. I think our senators rank #1 and #4 in that regard. To give you an example, in 2008 all 77 counties went for the republican ticket. We have GREAT football here at all levels. (except pro) :(

Unless you are a lib...in that case, "ain't nuttin' don h'year 'cept wagons, tepees, an' dry, red dirt". ;)

6. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Iraq, the civilians in Iraq are afforded more gun rights by our government than Americans at home are.
    Kidding about living there.
    I wouldn't mind Switzerland but I know there's a few hoops to jump through to live there. There's a few south American and central American countries that appeal to me as well.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Born and raised in Mississippi, no place I'd rather be. But like country boy says, the economy sucks here. Yeah there are new jobs cropping up all the time, but not anywhere near enough to put us back to work, not even enough to put a dent in our unemployment.

When I finish school I'm going to follow the money, try to find a nice secure job anywhere I can, but I'll stay out of the left leaning states too if at all possible.

8. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Mexico, instead of worrying about the ATF they'll deliver guns to you if you live there!

9. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

It's where I grew up and where my job is.....at least for now. Getting too damn old to move around too much.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Native of Virginia- bounced around many places, wound up back here. If you stay away from the Beltway and large urban areas, it's pretty good.

But when I retire for good, I am looking at Belize. Buy a 48 ft motor/sailer, and become a gun runner.

:p

11. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Got a reckless driving for speeding on the interstate. The same as a DUI. Had to pay a lawyer to get the charge dropped to 'faulty equipment'. Whatever that means. The lawyer and the new charge (no points on my license) was cheaper than the $600 ticket I originally incurred. That's enough to keep me away from VA.

12. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

Arkansas is where I'm at and it's not to bad if u find the right place to call home. There aren't many jobs but I have been lucky to have the same job for 9 years and my wife has been with hers for 8 now. We live in town and it's not to bad, we found a older house with a large lot and it's all older couples in our area. There is a shoot ing range 1.5 miles from the house. The crime rate has really gone up here in the last 3 years but I think that's everywhere. There is a large lake I fish on a lot, it takes me about 10 min to load the boat and be fishing. Im gonna call this place home till the work runs out or something better comes along.

play the victim, be the victim

13. pmanton

pmanton Member

Try Arizona:D Very gun friendly, I can drive 5 minutes and shoot anything from .22 through 30-06. no hassle over concealed carry.

I live on an airfield and my airplane is only 20 feet from my house.

No snow in the Winter. Nice and warm in the Summer.

Nights are nice and quiet and you can actually see the Milky Way.

Cheers:

Paul
    Salome, AZ

14. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

I've met quite a few people from all over the country between being involved with firearms, classic cars, and vintage emergency vehicles over the years. By that, I've learned a lot about the nuts & bolts of living in various areas where they reside. That being said, it's pretty decent here in Western Pennsylvania where we reside.

I was raised in Pittsburgh, a liveable city if you want to live urban. It has it's shortcomings for sure like any city, but it has a lot going for it all the same. The yearly good hits in the "Most liveable city" ratings bear this out.

Now, we live in a rural area north of the city about 40 miles. The general climate to live is excellent. Property is reasonable whether suburban or rural (Western PA. as a whole dodged the housing bubble to a significant degree. The median prices have always been to the lower side), taxes are low, crime where we live especially is virtually non existant (more existant the more suburban or urban the area gets. Still, the statistics aren't terrible by any means), the public schools are decent especially in comparison to in the cities, the business climate is great especially for small businesses (I only had to get my sales tax papers to open the home based FFL in my township. No mercantile licenses, etc.), and the people are generally good neighbors. Our county in particular has always been conservative leaning and that political leaning has only solidified over the last couple of years. Our county also has the distinction of recently being called with one of lowest unemployment rates in the nation. We have an increasing amount of Marcellus Shale operations right here and this is contributing to the growth of decent paying long term jobs. The financial benefits to landowners doesn't exactly suck either. Leases were being bought to drill for $3500/acre in 2011. That doesn't even count royalties if they drill and hit.

Yeah, from what I've seen and heard over the years from others elsewhere, it's not bad at all right here. If you don't mind the 4 seasons, and winters are rarely severe, this isn't a bad place to live at all.

And, yeah, we're the ones that cling to our guns and bibles. And we're damn proud of it, too!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  15. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I live where I live due to money reasons, I really have no control the good thing is the place where I go shooting is only two miles down the road from my current home. If I could live anywhere it would be out in BF Egypt far away from all the stupid (can't use the correct words) people that live around me at this point, some place where I can shoot my guns when I please someplace I can hunt fish and get drunk and not worry about getting arrested for public intoxication.

16. Sarge22

Sarge22 New Member

After retiring from the Army, we moved back home to upstate South Carolina, but only because the wife's Grandma gave us 32 acres free and clear. Gun laws here are pretty far and few between, CCW is easy to get, and the economy isn't too bad. But honestly I wanted to move out west like western Montana or Wyoming. There's too many people around here for my tastes. Especially unemployed lower class from Massachusetts that come South and get uppity. Tired of all the stupid people around here. I like SC, it's home, but I want less people around me.

17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I moved back here to the are because of a job in 95 then met my wife. Davenport is now the city where I have lived the longest period of time. She's not too keen on moving, but I would love to convince her someday of moving to Florida (where I lived the longest other than this area).

AZ would be good as well, but she's convinced nothing grows there. She's a very serious gardner.

18. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

I lived in the Peoples' Яepublik of Kalifornia for many years where I had a very well paying job with a government contractor as a Senior Electronic Technician. I made a mistake (realized after the fact) by accepting a Field Engineering job in Kuwait for a year. Biggest farce I ever dealt with. Upon returning to the states, the company said I couldn't go back to being a technician, and by that time the gun-grabbers had bolloxed too many things up so I packed up and moved to Las Vegas, Nevada. I like keeping the 17% or so that the Peoples' Яepublik took from my check by the way of state taxes. Nevada is gun friendly, it's relatively easy to get a CCW (concealed carry license), open carry is legal and I have yet another government contractor job which also pays very well. Unfortunately for too many people, the job market here isn't as good after the economic crash so those moving here now don't have the choices I did in 1999.

And, in 2017 when I retire, I'm pulling up stakes and moving to eastern Texas. That is my retirement destination.......

19. CGO

CGO New Member

We have been living in OK for almost 7 years now. Moved from CA because we were getting suffocated by all the bullchit there. It was hard at first for me living right in the middle of 25 acres in the country because I was a city girl. I don't like the harsh winters here at all and I flip out when we get tornado warnings. But I survived it so far. One thing I have learned about myself living here is that I am much stronger than I thought I was. Country living makes you stronger. And I sure like the peace and quiet....:)

20. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Harsh winters??? :confused:

Wow, you really are soft if you think OK has harsh winters. ;)