Why is the shotgun the best weapon for home defense?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by elglockeroloko30, Apr 2, 2012.

1. elglockeroloko30

elglockeroloko30 New Member

So, I'm new and already own several firearms, including handguns, one shotgun and some rifles. In the short time i have been doing every thing that i can to learn, i have noticed that there is consensus that the shotgun is generally accepted as the best weapon for HOME deffense, right.... So when i go to sleep, my mossberg 500 is the one that i keep closest to me. Rescently aquired 2 new rifles (at least new to me), one a .308 cal, the other chambered for .223 and found myself falling in love with shooting my rifles! And start thinking that i use my shotgun as my primary home deffense weapon, not because i "know" that it is actually my "best" option but because most people who are into firearms think so! I'm aware that there must be a reason for that but when i ask myself why is a shotgun by my side, better than an AR or better than an AK by my side, i (and please remember that I'm a rookie) cannot come up with an answer. So let's hear it from the experts out there, why is the shotgun the best weapon for HOME defense? (compared to a rifle) Oh, one last thing, I live in Puerto Rico, where most homes are built in concrete so wall penetration and killing your neighbor is almost not an issue. So please enlighten me and others that may have asked themselves the same thing!

2. akers06

akers06 New Member

The shotgun is better for home defence because you don't have to actually aim the gun you can point it and it'd goons hit your Target I believe that to be the number one reason

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

A shotgun with buckshot is a proven manstopper. It delivers multiple hits on the order of a 38spl all at the same time transmitting massive trauma to the target in one blast.

You will see movies and hollyweird and the history channel all claiming it was this rifle or that pistol that won the west. The fact of the matter is it was the shotgun that did it.

4. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

And the sound of a shotgun being pumped is often, by itself, enough to scare off an intruder

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Totally untrue. Shotguns have to be aimed. Its a interweb myth. Dont believe me setup a target put one round in the shotgun of home defense quality loading at 5 yards close your eyes pick up the shotgun and from the hip shoot. You almost certainly will miss.

6. Uptown_General_Roc

Uptown_General_Roc New Member

12 Ga with buckshots & pump Action Best Self-defense Sound scary and deadly at the same time

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, the "point and click" is not really true- at 10 ft, the pattern is only a few inches wide- you DO need to aim.

The real answer is energy. With the possible exceptions of the .577 T-Rex or the Holland & Holland .600 Nitro Express, at close range a shotgun puts more energy into the target than any rifle out there. EXTREMELY large wound channel. About 3,000 ft lbs for a 12 g. The energy is transferred very quickly, unlike a rifle bullet that, at close range, goes thru and thru- taking its energy along with it.

8. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I rely on my Mossberg 590A1 for best home defense in spite of the fact that I have a couple of firearms to boot.
    My question is how in the world do you own anything of a weapon defense in Puerto Rico? That would be the last place,
    I suppose, that would allow one to own firearms, much less carry.

9. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I had my 12 ga. pump out for home defense for a while until my wife and I were out at the range doing some shooting and she saw/heard me shooting the shotgun and she said, "YOU are NEVER, EVER, EVER going to shoot that THING in MY house!!!!!!". :eek: I'm back to the Glock 19 now. ;)

10. akers06

akers06 New Member

I'm not talking hip shooting it I've tried that lol.....I ment that you don't have to precisely aim a shotgun like you do a rifle as long as you should the gun and are aim somewhere close your gonna hit your Target....also I like the #4 shot rather than buckshot because you get a bigger spread up close and they will still do significant damage at 25-30 yards

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree that a shotgun is the better firearm for HD simply because of the amount of damage it can inflict at short range, even with hunting loads. most people tend to use a pump and these are probably the easiest of firearmsto use by just about anyone. it's disadvantages are overcome by it's advantages. yes a shotgun does need to be aimed, but doesn't require the precision of aiming to hit the target a pistol or rifle. even a miss to vital areas with a shotgun, but still hitting the target, could still lead to massive blood loss, such as hitting a major artery or vein in the arm or leg. loaded with OO buckshot is like shooting 12-15 38 caliber bullets at once, so getting hit this many times at once will pretty much take the fight out of any BG!

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

The shotgun is great because its the only firearm that you can load up with rock salt,buck shot,and waxed screws all in one round. Nasty

13. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

Also you don't have to worry as much about over penetration with a shotgun. You don't want to miss your target & send a couple rounds of x39 or .556 into your kids room.

14. tellmaster207

tellmaster207 New Member

p.s that's also why you aim a shotgun. Usually helps not kill your kids, dog, wife etc. Etc.

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I dont know where you live but there is no place in my house that I can shoot 25-35 yards. The smallest shot size I will use is #4 buck (27 .23" pellets). Bird shot less than BB will not reliably penetrate a BG unless you are very close. 00 buck does a pretty good job of penetrating walls. I suggest you take your shotgun and pattern it at 3, 5 and 7 yards. You will be amazed at how small the pattern is. Jon was right. Shotguns have to be aimed. With practice it is possible to shoot from the hip accurately. It involves repeatable stance, position, muscle memory and training. Another poster was also correct about the noise level in a closed area. It will be painful and you will probably suffer permanent hearing loss. It has been known to bring people to their knees from the pain. Dont ever use magnum shot shells inside a house. Reduced recoil loads are a better option. Even a handgun is going to leave your ears ringing. New data and tests are focusing on the 55 grain 5.56x45 (223) for home defense as it is being shown to have less penetration than handgun ammo and even shotguns. This is due to the bullet tumbling and losing power very quickly.

16. elglockeroloko30

It is kind of a headache because of the $$ that you need and the waiting time but not impossible at all. Almost anyone (and trust me when i say ANYONE) can get a possesion and target shooting license. You need arround 400$, cannot have a criminal reccord or a DIAGNOSED psychiatric illness, 3 "good reputation" witnesses to sign a paper which states that you are not a danger to society if you own a firearm and wait arround 120 days. Carry is another story. You need to pay aditional between 800-1000$ and go to court to convince a judge that you have a genuine rational fear for your life. Oh, and your witnesses also need to go to court with you. Court hearing is not a requisite for everyone but the $$ that needs to be paid is! I did not had to go to court but waited arround a year for my carry license. There are arround 84,000 legal gun owners in PR. In a 3,000,000 population that's not bad at all!

17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I can only answer why it's a great HD weapon for me.

12G birdshot transfers a massive amount of energy to a

BG, with minimal house damage. Unlike buckshot, the birdshot

throws dozens of pellets, which at HD ranges, chew a large

hole into, but not back out of, an intruder.

Shotguns are also feared and respected. I don't want to

kill anybody, and they don't want to die, which could

work out well...

18. elglockeroloko30

Thank you so much for making that point. I have not taken my wife to the range yet because we are still in the process of getting her permit but i guess that when i take her i will leave the shotgun at home because I'm sure she will react the same way, so thanks again!

19. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I use 00 buck in my hd shotgun because im not worried about penetrating walls as i live in my own house with no other houses within range of a stray pellet. The 9 pellets of 00 buck will stop any bg no matter how determined he is and coming out of a 12 gauge pump with an 18 in barrel with no choke i can shot from the hip across the living room and hit him.

20. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

I have a 30 inch barrel on my mossberg pump. From across the living room I can poke him in the eye with it before I rack a round. That will slow him down pretty good I figure and if he's rubbing his eyes he won't be pulling a trigger!