Why is the Ruger LCP banned in Calif?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by RufusTFirefly, Nov 2, 2011.

1. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

Seems the Ruger LCP .380 is banned in Calif. But is it just banned from dealer sales?, or is it banned from ownership period

Can a Calif resident own one if, for example, they acquired the gun through an estate will or trust? What if I own one here in Arizona, then move to Calif?

And can anyone explain what makes that model of gun a no-no in the land of Calif anyway?

Thanks for any info/clarification...

Rufus

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The LCP isn't banned, however it is only available to law enforcement. The same with the Sig P238.

3. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

Okay...but why?

4. tCan

tCan Active Member

Why can't you have mags larger than 10 rounds in cali? I think the answer to this question is likely the same.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

My understanding is that a maker must submit the SPECIFIC model gun to CA Dept of Justice for "safety" testing, and receive an approval for it to be sold at retail in CA. When I say SPECIFIC, I mean THAT barrel length, THAT finish, etc etc etc. If not approved by CA DOJ, no sales. Think you CAN bring a gun into the state, but you need to check with CA DOJ.

Me, would move to Costa Rica and live on the beach before moving there. And I will be in San Diego for a week in mid November.

(No insult to Californians- my sister was one- I'm just allergic to your politicians)

6. ttolhurst

ttolhurst New Member

It has no magazine disconnector safety, and therefore is not approved for sale.

7. CA357

You want to hear something weird? If an LEO wants to sell his LCP, I can then buy it in a private sale/person to person transfer. Amazing, huh?

8. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

So...could I buy one here in AZ, and then do a private party sale/transfer it to a Calif resident?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  9. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Hey now, if you need a beer, San Diego's only a hundred something away.
    OP. They nailed it, the LCP can not be sold new to a citizen from a dealer, however if you have a PD friend that decides to sell one to you used, you can do a private sale.

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

???? Are Glocks sold in Cali? Sigs, Rugers, XD's? None of these have mag disconnectors. Perhaps it is the size and no disconnector? Yet another reason I would rather saw my own foot off with a hacksaw than move to Cali.

11. CA357

Robo, trying to make sense about CA's gun laws will make you crazy. All you need to know about how CA's gun laws are designed can be summed up in two words: fear and stupidity.

Logic, respect and common sense aren't anywhere in the mix.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Not without going to jail.

A private citizen may not sell a handgun except to another resident of his own state, or to a FFL holder in any state. A private citizen may not purchase a handgun other than in his own state- from a private citizen or from a dealer. 18 USC 922- Federal law. You would BOTH be committing an illegal act. No, will not send you a carton of Newports.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

i would rather drag my bare ass through broken glass then clean the cuts with ghost chili extract than live in ca. my wife lived most of her life in ca and she wont go back either heh

14. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

Okay thanks... I figured as much

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You forgot paranoia. Probably a couple of other complexes too.

16. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

They probably think the LCP is an all-plastic gun the size of a thimble that only fires cop-killer hollow-points.

17. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

I know this isnt on topic but since somebody said cop killer. I just thought it was funny that the guy we call Ice-T had a song called cop killer. But he plays cops in all sorts of tv shows and movies. just another problem with CA. Just saying

18. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

You guys are weird. I mostly enjoyed this thread reading what each of you would rather do than live in Cali. As far as I'm concerned, only C3 had the right idea. Living on a beach is much better than sawing your foot off or dragging your bare a$$ through broken glass.........:eek:

19. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

So, if I buy a handgun and hold it for one year then gift the unfired NGIB to my 30 year old son for Christmas; are we going to jail?

Just asking...

20. ttolhurst

ttolhurst New Member

Do you live in the same state? If not, than you've violated federal law.

If you live in the same state, you can gift it to him immediately and be perfectly legal.

Handguns get transferred across state lines only via FFLs.