Why is the DHS purchasing hollow point ammo that can’t be used in warfare?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by molonlabexx, Mar 25, 2013.

1. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

During WWII, there was a rubber shortage. The government's response..... rationed gas. Citizens bought fewer tires.

Those geniuses are not above anything.

2. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

I am not sure what you are getting at here. This is interesting though. I never knew that!

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

DHS is not a military unit. They are federal police department. That means DHS is not bound by the terms of the Geneva convention treaty. I am glad they are using hollow points. Since I shoot FMJ all the time DHS purchases have less effect on my shooting fun. Now they need to equip every police officer in the US with a 40 cal. Maybe 9mm won't be so scarce when we have these ammo shortages.

4. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

The hague convention is the one that limits the use of hollow points.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

Those rules of war don't count when you are killing your neighbors and such; those rules are just for people worth a legal & congressionally-approved war, not putting down some mouthy citizens.

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

It's still only a limitation of federal armed forces. Police at every level in this country already use HP ammo. If it would have been a problem then it would have come up long ago.

7. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

They are pretending they are buying it to "practice." Yeah -- hollow point for practice.

Only the military is constrained as to HP. I was schooled so 23% of my 5.56x45 is 62 gr. HP.

8. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 New Member

Reading the article and considering the new types of targets that DHS is buying I'd guess reason #2.

9. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

The United States is not bound by those rules, we never signed on. The reason we only use FMJs? Reliability. That's what I read anyway.

10. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

They have to practice with the exact same ammo they carry... them the rules

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Man, must be nice to write rules that don't cost YOU any money! There is no practical reason to shoot exclusively duty ammo. You shoot 2-3 boxes to insure reliability and shoot cheaper FMJ's. If that is "the rule" it is just stupid.
    We shoot last year's duty ammo for one of our annual quals. We get a box of fresh ammo afterwards. Training? FMJ.

And NO, the Geneva Convention has nothing to do with frangible, expanding or explosive ammo. The Hague Accords addresses their use agaiinst foreign UNIFORMED combatants. And, we never signed off on either one so it is a moot point.

As stated, DHS is a civilian LE agency. They are not the least bit constrained by any international rules of war. They are bound by the Constitution of the United States and Federal laws.

12. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

The Japanese had control over 90% of the rubber producing areas of the Far East. (This was before synthetic rubber.) We needed rubber for tires, tank tracks, cordage, etc. To avoid letting the enemy know our weakness, they rationed gas instead.

You never know what motivates the U.S. government. They are really, really smart.

13. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Damn it hurts when my head explodes

14. orangello

orangello New Member

That part needs an asterisk or something so people wouldn't spray coffee on their screens.

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Good point gello. Sorry, I will try to post a NSFBCWC (Not Safe For Beverage Consumption While Computing) warning in the future.

16. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

Sure it had nothing to do with the lack of rubber and the necessity and advancements of making artificial rubber out of petroleum products which are also used for fuels, lubricants, energy production, plastics, munitions, etc.? And they rationed other things including food because!?
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  17. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

The problem is when the govt. comes calling, the ammo makers are forced to change from target ammo to the hollow points DHS is ordering. They get to tell the manufacturers of anything they are buying that they have to have theirs first, and yours goes to the back of the line.

18. kirbinster

kirbinster New Member

Let's say that DHS buying is causing ammo to be tight, if that is the case, can you explain why the ammo in the greatest short situation is .22LR - that they don't use?

19. customammo72

customammo72 New Member

Negative, that is not the rules..... we practice with FMJ and duty ammo is HP...... only time we shoot the HP's on the range is to recycle our ammo and get fresh new duty ammo.