Why is te ACR "bad?"

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by bsdavis4296, Nov 15, 2012.

1. bsdavis4296

bsdavis4296 New Member

People want to tell me it's bad, but seem to evade telling me why...

2. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

Lots of folks don't care for Bushmaster and there was a big "to do" when they first came out that alot of them had issues from the get go i.e FTF, FTE etc. Also alot did not care for the weight gain of Bushmaster's version compared to Magpul's prototype. I personally don't have much of an opinion on em other than for the price i'll stick with AR's. Cool concept though

3. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

For about 300 bucks less, you can get this:
    http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/sl86_general.asp
    If you gotta have something other than an AR, HK has a better track record with regards to quality control than Bushmaster. Bushmaster is a decent AR, but they don't have anything that is worth 2700 bucks IMHO.

4. bsdavis4296

bsdavis4296 New Member

What makes the ACR bad?

5. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

The price. You can get a lot better cheaper. I'm not saying if you find a steal on one don't buy it, just that I wouldn't pay the suggested retail price for one. There was a recall last year because some of them were going full auto without notice, but they fixed the ones sent in, and any peice of machinery can fail. I am saying that there are similar configured firearms manufactured that are lest costly and have a better QC ratio.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  6. bsdavis4296

bsdavis4296 New Member

I agree completely. I'm not buying one, but I want to see the opinion of others, as so many people hate it.

Thanks for answering!

7. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Ok I am a big Remmington fan, but since freedom arms bought them they have had recall after recall. And this is with almost all their guns! The ACR was no exception, when they first came out they had many bugs. Like failure to fire and failure to extract. The biggest one was they had a few cases where they became run away guns, as in the would burst or go full auto! That is a big safty no no. So in my opinion any company that would release should a major hyped gun with so many poblems needs to take a look at how it does business. I would just stick with a Colt AR, fires the same round, proven performer and is cheaper. Also parts are more available. If you want to go exotic look at the HK's and the Scar 16 and 17. There are many options out there that wont land you in trouble with the range for going full auto! :)

8. bsdavis4296

bsdavis4296 New Member

Right now I am looking at:

Sig 556
    Ruger SR556
    Fn Fs2000
    Robinson Arms XCR
    HK SL8-6

9. bsdavis4296

bsdavis4296 New Member

But I would very much like to find a reason to buy an ACR

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

bsdavis4296, no evasion here! :p No deception, just the plain truth!

Great answer as usual, fsted2a...

11. Brue182

Brue182 New Member

I picked up a Sig 516 and love it great gun.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

Barring its issues with ftf fte chronic slamfires (there are still samples hitting shelves doing it) an issue a lot of people have are the basic ergonomics. The right side selector is inline with the trigger and trigger finger. There is the very heavy weight for what it is, the scar17 some larue obr and a few other brands chambered in 308 actually weigh less than a acr in 556.

Its a gun that little real engineering or thought beyound "lets make it look cool" went into it.

I think it went something like "hot damn a contract!! lets whip up something futuristic looking and get it to the contract testing!! " then after it got passed over they had to do something with it to recoup costs so off to gunstores it went.

If you do get a problem sample they will make it right. Eventually it will run justfine if your unlucky to get a flawed one.

13. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

That sl8 can be converted to a g36 and those look alot nicer and more ergonomical than the ACR

14. strix

strix New Member

Do like many are saying on here and take a look at the scar17 it's the same concept and will be a better gun also I saw someone else mention the sig 556 that is nice to. There are so many great rifles out there. Go on you tube and watch some vids it helps.