Why is an ak so much cheaper than an ar 15

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by TheHunter100, Apr 15, 2012.

1. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

I live in california and the replica ak's that are 7.62x39 are hundreds of dallors cheaper then ar's that are .223 or 5.56. I mean ar's are known for their accuracy but I dont think thats the reason. Plus the ak is a bigger round for hunting. I want to buy an ar just because of the tactical look it has and I want to customize it with holographic sight and flash light.

2. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Perhaps it is because of quality.
    I think the AKs look cheaply made.

3. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Is cheaply made. But that's the beauty of it. Cheap and reliable.

4. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

But cheap doesnt last as long and its more corrosive

5. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

It's cheaper all the way around - cheaper materials, cheaper manufacturing. Not to mention it's manufactured in HUGE numbers.

I remember way back when one could get an AK for a $150. Now folks think $400, $500, $600 is cheap!?! :confused: Then you got shops putting them out for $1k+ :eek:

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

they are made from cheap material in a generally shoddy fashion with very little workmanship.

if you want a decent quality ak made from good materials with good fit and finish they cost just as much as ar15's

and ar15's are just as reliable as ak47. there are ak47 that are jammomatics and ar15 that run forever eating everything. and just the opposite. its all in how much care is taken when they are created.

7. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I thank it is funny when people say ar's are not reliable. I guess they have not seen this. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MA1IFKwdAQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

If you think they look cheap, you've never used or cleaned one.

A corrosive rifle, well it is a commie gun! :rolleyes:

A specialized rifle, not a standard AR.

I like my AK74 clone. Tons of fun and w/ a lined bore, it eats corrosive ammo all day long. My Wood stock may catch fire, but your barrel/bolt will fail 1st w/ eqaul rounds. Hmm cheaply made: I can take your head off w/ the wood stock, dig a hole w/ it and still shoot a few hundred nasty guys for pennies. I sold my 1992 Bushmaster DCM because it never really measured up to my expectations. The AK does. $269.00 when I bought it. $108.00 per 1080rounds, $149.00 for 1080 now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  9. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

AK's are cheaper because they want to spend less money making them. They are also less expensive as a result. Is this not evident to anyone who's handled them?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  10. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Because it is a piece of junk. Why anybody would want one I don't have a clue.
    cottontop

11. Demonlx

Demonlx New Member

I always thought they are cheap because of the stamping process they are made from..At least I think they are stamped guns?..Anyways that process makes them easy to make and that's why they have sooo many AK's on the market and they are everywhere in the world.

12. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Most "run of the mill AK's" sold in the US are built with certain US compliance parts, the biggest being the receiver, which is typically stamped and relatively cheap to produce.

The rest of the parts, barrel, gas system, bolt, grips, ECT...

Are typically purchased as parts kits overseas where there build with innexpensive labor and materials. These factors combine to create a rifle with far less machining than any AR and do it for much lower cost.

However, I own 2 AR's, 1 AK, and would not classify the AK as "cheap". While it's not as refined as the AR IT's like comparing apples and oranges.

These 2 designs are separated by about 20 years of technology and while crude compared to an AR, the AK would still be my choice in a SHTF scenario where reliability was paramount and repair not possible. It's simply a more robust design.

Tack

13. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Yep, +1 on what JonM said....

14. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

I want a 7.62x39 for medium size game im guessing your talking bout a 22lr?

15. TheHunter100

TheHunter100 New Member

So what do you guys think ak or ar

16. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

In my op I would say ar. There is just so much you can do with them. There are more accessories than anyone can name. Not to mention you can get any ware from a .22lr to a .50. And they are just as reliable.

17. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Well depending on the quality you get.

18. TooStrongTerry

TooStrongTerry New Member

I just bought a wasr 10 ak and that thing is a MACHINE. My dad bought me a thousand rounds and we shot that thing for hours. Hitting pop cans at 50-60 yards like nothin. 800 rounds later...no jam. Dirty as ever when I cleaned it. But its a champ. Any ar I shot 2-300 rounds the bolt doesn't close all the way. Shells get stuck in the ejection port. Etc. My Ak is amazing and wouldn't sell it for anything then what I paid for it :p

@TooStrongTerry

19. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

As others have said, they aren't. A bottom of the barrel AR can be had for about $600, just a little higher than cheap AKs, a 'good' AK costs $800-$1000, just like the 'good' ARs.

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

AK or AR? well both ahve there good points and bad points. is one better than the other, well IMO that is really a matter of personal preference or experiance with them. i own an AR but if the right AK comes along at the right time and price, i will be buying one. i would like to own one of my own. i have shot a few in the past, and really enjoyed them, but in my area, you can find an AR much easier than an AK. i have ran across a couple for sale, but were to me way overpriced IMO. might just have to buy one online and have it shipped to my LGS for an FFL transfer if i want one at the price i'm willing to pay for one. i believe people will have their opinions about the debate on which one is better just like anything firearms related and everyone is entitled to their opinions.