Why is 9mm considered such a bad SD round?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Kenney, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenney

Kenney New Member

I'd figured 14 rounds out of a CZ be enough to make 99% of anything stop moving, but everyone insist other wise.

2. Garadex

Garadex New Member

With good hollow points it is fine but a .45 can not get smaller than .45" While a 9MM is tinier when it starts out; a good hollow point negates that. If you can only use FMJ then go for something bigger.

3. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

I always figured that my 9mm would make almost twice as many smaller holes than a .45. :D

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

The 9 m/m is so worthless that must be why it has been in more wars and armies than any other handgun round

5. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

Attached Files:

6. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

You need to tailor the bullet and cartridge to the shooter.

There is nothing magical about any calibre or design.

Whether 357, 10mm, 40 cal, 45ACP, 38 special, 9mm, or whatever, just find your own special place, where you can crank out the most-est and the fastest with the biggest.

7. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Didn't Germany use the 9 mm during WWII? Oh wait they lost that one didn't they. :D

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Freaking hell. Use the search, this dead horse has been beaten too damn much already.

I like and trust the .45, but if my only option were a .22, guess what I'd be carrying?

I would carry a 9, and did carry one in the service, but issued ammo SUCKS!

Get off the caliber issue. If you think you need 14-30 rounds, fine. I hope you never have to use a single one. Will it kill a man, or stop an attack? Sure. More or less effectively than a .45? Debatable. Personally, if you smack me with a rock, chances are I'll stop whatever I'm doing at least for a minute.

9. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

I had to chase down and kill a large dog with my 9mm Hi Power, it took five rounds of 115 gr. Cor Bon. I killed a coyote with my Delta Elite, it took one 175 gr. silvertip. I still love my Hi Powers but damn that was depressing.

10. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Alright sorry I brought it up. It's just a lot of people got onto me for loving the 9 so much. The military issue clears a lot of it up as far as I'm concerned. If a moderator wants to kill the thread, No complaints here.

11. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

.......okay, back to the question.... does size really matter? :D

12. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

I came up on an Antelope hunter many years ago. The poor fellow had lost lost his ammo. The hunter was following a badly wounded "Goat" unable to put it down. I was hiking with a 39 S&W 9 mm loaded with "Flying Ash Trays" hollow points. I shot that thin skinned animal at close range more than 8 times. The 9 MM Hps went thru the rib cage and hit the sand. I have used .45 ACPs and even .38 Supers with much better results.:)

13. cmidfield14

cmidfield14 New Member

I work on an ambulance in the hood.

Had a guy who took a 9mm to the center of his forehead sitting on the curb trying to explain why he broke into the shooter's house.

Had a guy with a 9mm round in the back of his head with a pulse, breathing, looking up at me, and biting the oral airway.

These two had two things in common... Only one round made contact, and both were non hollow point 9mm rounds. Good rounds mean all the difference.

14. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Zimmerman shot only one 9mm round.

15. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Sure but he shot a kid and he was less than a yard away.

You can kill anything with one round only being a yard away.

16. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I do not know if my 45ACP 230 grain FMJs will kill a bear.

But I know it has been killing man since 1911.

And that's what I got it for.

HD.

17. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

My dad shot a wounded deer in the head at point blank with a .40 S&W JHP, it didn't die, he had to shoot it again.

At another point the same thing happened, he shot this one with a 9mm, it died immediately. This subject has been beaten to death. Caliber doesn't matter, a bullet is still a hunk of metal tearing through you at 1000 feet per second.

If you rely only on a .45 to get the job done because of sheer size, you are going about it wrong.

President Reagan was hit with a .22, it didn't kill him, but it sure as heck incapacitated him.

18. Oblivion9

Oblivion9 New Member

Messed up Brady pretty bad.

19. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

You know, these posts here got me to thinking. I know I still have a LOT to learn about ballistics and fps and grains of powder but I have an inert .45 ACP cartridge on my keychain. I own a .357 magnum revolver and a .380 Auto. I know the diameter of some are bigger than others in these rounds but I don't think it's that much that if you hit someone they are going to do okay if you only shot them with a .380 vs. a .45. Like you all have been saying, at hit is going to be a hit no matter what caliber.

I don't think a 9 mm. is a bad self defense round. Some say it's better than the .380 I have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.