Why I Love .22's

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by ninjatoth, Aug 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

What's not to love about .22 handguns?They shoot just as far as larger calibers,and just as high of velocities of an average pistol round,they put holes through paper and move a spinner target just like larger calibers.And for what it cost me to buy 50 .38 spls,I can buy 500 .22 LR rounds.Think about that.50 .38spls=$20,but 50 .22's=$2.I think there is no better round for practicing with than a .22.Larger calibers are a waste of money and energy to do exactly what a .22 can do.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As much as I enjoy my 22s- wheelguns and autos- and enjoy the younger grandkids shooting with me (the little 11 yr old girl has real trouble managing the 1911, but loves my old Ruger Standard Auto)- I carry a larger piece as a defensive weapon. My 22s do not duplicate the recoil of a snubby 357, 9mm auto, or a 1911A1. I deer hunt with a long barreled 357.

Yes, i put a fair bit of 22 downrange- and many have seen me suggest a 22 to a newbie as a first gun- but 22s alone are not all the practice I need.

And FWIW, I shoot the 357 on the 100 meter line without embarrassing myself. Can't do that with the 22s! :D

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I have several .22s and shoot both .22s & big bores. I do shoot my .22s a LOT when I'm too lazy to load 500-1,000 .45s, or magnum rounds.

4. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

It's a fantastic plinking and training caliber, especially when you need to hone a particular skill. I'm an average shooter, but I'm quite good shooting revolvers DA thanks to all the trigger time on my cheap-to-feed S&W 617.

Another great thing about .22 rounds is the weight, I can carry a couple of hundred in my backpack when I go woodsbumming.

However, I do enjoy my .357 a lot, and you need to practice with some "real" defensive rounds as well. But those .22s sure are fun!

5. OC357

OC357 New Member

I agree with everything you said except I would reword the last sentence. I would have said...."While magnum rounds cost more and expend more energy, and there is just something about putting them downrange, the .22 handgun is just sooooo much fun and inexpensive to shoot." .....haha....:D

I am not giving you a hard time. I also put 10x the .22 handgun rounds downrange than magnums. And they are fun and inexpensive to shoot.

OC

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I currently have 5 .22 handguns in my collection and I put a lot of rounds thru them. While they'll never replace any of my 1911s, I do really enjoy shooting them...

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

.22s are great for what they are designed for.

But, NEVER ask a .22 to do anything above it's pay grade!

8. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

I'm gonna post something up in the training section in regards to the .22LR round and the performance it provides (and the advantages/disadvantages of the round).

9. Persuasive

Persuasive New Member

I got a Marlin 60 and i love plinking with it! Super relaxed and mellow shooting with a Bushnell fixed power rimfire. cant beat it

10. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

I love relaxing, shooting the 22. Good stress reliever. Doesnt kill like smoking does and is easier on my blood pressure level.

S.S.

11. tallguy130

tallguy130 New Member

Me and a buddy both got our first firearms at about the same time. He got a 9mm handgun, I got a .22 handgun. Both of us love to shoot and go to the range about as much as we can afford. I've put about 5000 more rounds through my gun then his and its all about the price of ammo. I don't know much, but you can't go wrong with a cheap .22 for plinking and learning some basics. I liked it so much I even picked up a couple of rifles too!

Granted, I'm now looking for something personal protection but cranebrake said it well. "NEVER ask a .22 to do anything above it's pay grade!"

12. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I started this thread because in a handgun,a .22 ballistically is almost identical to lets say,a 9mm.I know energy wise or stopping power,a .22 is alot less,but velocity,range,practice potential of the round in a handgun is comparable.Compare a .22LR to a deer rifle,there's no comparision,but in handguns,.22s make alot of sense

13. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

true in general,but,if a .22 is all you got at the moment,some hyper velocity .22 rounds will darn near do the job for protection,that is,until you get a bigger caliber,which you should do asap

14. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

If that's ALL you have,yes, but please don't even try to make a case for a .22 as a defensive round for things bigger than a raccoon. ;)

15. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco New Member

I've got a Ruger Single Six SS and I only use the magnum cylinder as the difference in velocity between it and a LR is like night and day.

Bascially makes it as powerful as a LR from a rifle.

We are talking about 22Magnum right?

16. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

I love my 22LR pistol (Sig Mosquito) great gun in the woods for survival against venomous snakes and aggressive varmints.
    When I go to the range and practice with my bigger caliber firearms, I always take my Sig Mosquito so that I can complete the full hour I paid for. I'll squeeze off 50-100 rounds of my bigger caliber firearms then break-out the Sig and pop off hundreds of rounds until my time is up on my lane.

17. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I just picked up another on a trade last night, a stainless Ruger Mark II target model with 5 1/2 slab side barrel. Already put in a VQ trigger and installed a fiber optic front sight. I think this one will be my new rimfire pin gun...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  18. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Nice looking Ruger slab side you got there.

19. OC357

OC357 New Member

Just picked up 2 boxes of CCI Mini-Mags to replace the ones I "lost" yesterday at the range......:D

OC

20. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

How much are CCI up there?

S.S.