Why I like Rotary Tumbling

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by gandog56, Jul 8, 2013.

1. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

The six cases on the left were cleaned using my old vibratory tumbler. The six cases on the right were using my new Thumler's rotary tumbler with steel cleaning media, soap, Lemi-Shine, and water. See how much cleaner the rotary cases are? I love how the inside and the primer pockets have no black left on them.

[​IMG]

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

I think the soap and water had more to do with it.

How do you ensure all the moisture is gone??

3. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

Your brass looks really nice. I've been reloading for years. When I was a young man (40 years ago) I used a Lee loader, can't get more basic than that. I reloaded .38 spl with that for many years with good results. At that time I never cleaned my brass, just reamed out the primer pockets every now and then. Now I use a Franklin vibrator cleaner and my brass looks like your pictures on the left, clean, but not as pretty as your washed version. Since I shoot reloads almost exclusively from revolvers and semis, I'm curious how clean does the brass really need to be? good luck

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

in the old days folks just wiped the grit off the outside of the case deprimed and reloaded. even that isnt really needed if you dont care about messing up your dies.

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

Very nice.

6. mybigguns

mybigguns New Member

I see 3 of them that have black in the primer pockets

7. Kraj

Kraj New Member

Shiny brass is easier to pick out of the grass :)

8. Fred762

Fred762 New Member

vibrator user here

Been using one for years*but yer right..them cases :pyou did on the rotary are clean..but at what cost in time and mess?? Pray tell us the steps.

My old vibrator is so simple and I been using brass from it for...well..since 1970 at least.

9. Kraj

Kraj New Member

I have a tread going on the same topic. The first step is deprime all the cases.

Loading the tumbler is easy and only takes 5 mins. Runs for about 2 hours.

I dump the water and separate the pins/rinse the brass with a separator I got from cabelas which takes more time to get everything by the sink and put back away than to do.

Then the brass sits in the sun for 3 or so hours.

I guess I'm not really worried about having one case be damp because I have 2 or 3 clean batches to use first

10. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

Did you see I said 3 on the left, old vibratory tumbler cleaned, 3 on the right, rotary? :rolleyes:

11. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

Round 2, a little worse shape brass:

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Better shot of the cleaned primer pocket.

[​IMG]

12. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

Ah man look at THESE!

[​IMG]