Why i like glocks - because they just work!

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Amsdorf, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Yes, the Glock is an ugly hunk of plastic and metal. Yes, it is ridiculed by some as the "tupperware" pistol. Yes, some people turn their noses down at the thought of a Glock. It's kind of "cool" to be anti-Glock, particularly on gun forums where some regard it as a mark of their knowledge of firearms to "hate the plastic pistol" etc. Others just don't like it because they think it is has, well, a face only a mother would love. There's nothing stylish about a Glock. On the other hand: they do what they are made to do, reliably. They are very easy to maintain. They require little by way of training to learn how to get it to go bang. Some hate that they have no external safety. With a round in the chamber, all you do is pull the trigger and it goes bang and you keep pulling the trigger until the magazine runs out of ammo. That's good, for some, bad for others.

But, frankly, I like Glocks because they have a proven track record of simply working. They just work.

So, without further ado: here is my "Why I Like Glock" video, and, as always, offered respectfully, FWIW, mindful that YMMV.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whvb0uIch0k[/ame]

2. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

I like Glocks for the same reason..they just work!

3. Amsdorf

Amsdorf New Member

Yup, there you go.

4. invicta8926

invicta8926 New Member

My thoughts exactly.

5. HeatSpitta510

HeatSpitta510 New Member

I own a Sig and have nothing against the proven reliable Glock pistols..as a matter of fact my next purchase will be a Glock 19..2 different great guns why not enjoy both and then some right?

6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I can't see it.

I've just been told by the glock experts

HERE, ON THIS FORUM

that large amounts of training are needed

to keep from having a ND/AD with these

"sophisticated" pistols.

Have you had large amounts of glock

"sophisticated training" ?:confused:

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lol. Keep the booger picker off the bang switch. No sophisticated training required.

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Now, that's not what I'm being told. I'm being told by

glock experts themselves that all this training is required.

I thank GOD, I use only unsophisticated pistols like 1911s,

and 92FSs, which are safe for me.

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lol. Well I am a certified glock expert, gunsmith and range officer and I'm telling you more training is required for the 1911.
    why do you think so many police departments issue Glocks (besides price)?
    That's funny sh!t though.

10. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I was at the range a few days ago and a friend of mine asked for some help with 9mm reloads he was having trouble with. He was shooting a glock 19. He asked me to try it out. I had never shot a glock before and didn't really know what to expect. After the first shot, I understood why people love these guns. I'm hooked and looking forward to getting my first Glock...hopefully a 19.

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Great gun. The 19 was my first glock. Wish I still had it but I traded up to the 20. The 20 will go to the grave with me.

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

While I understand your reasoning, and its probably the best reason for liking any gun, here's why I don't like Glocks:

Glock people, as I call them. Glock fanboys, as others call them. Glockophiles, Glock lovers, Glock maniacs, Glock worshipers, Glock fanatics, etc.

Glock people swear by the Glock, to the point that it becomes brand myopic. Swearing up and down that Glocks are the best for any given situation.

Example: someone posts asking for recommendations on a single stack 9mm. He was very clear about those parameters. Someone says he should buy a Glock 22. No reason given. The reader is left to infer that he himself has a G22, and apparently doesn't know enough about guns to recommend something outside of what he has. Not only did he get the caliber wrong, but its also not a single stack gun.

The above was an example I noticed a few weeks ago on these very forums. And, sadly, similar examples happen all the time.

Yes, Glocks are reliable. But I will never own one because Glock people have left me with a bad taste in my mouth. It is my own personal bias. If Glocks were the only reliable handgun in existence, I would own several. Lucky for me, however, that isn't necessary because there are countless handguns out there which are every bit as reliable as a Glock. I own a S&W M&P9c and would trust my life to it. Plus, my M&P is a far cry more attractive than an ugly Glock.

Yes, I'll grant you Glocks were the first very reliable polymer framed handgun. But nowadays most major gun manufacturers have reliable poly guns.

So, if there are just as reliable options, which are similarly priced, and are more attractive, then why buy a Glock? The only other reason I can think of is that it just fits someone's hand better. Personally the Glocks I have held didn't even come close to the level of comfort I enjoy when holding an M&P. Of course everyone's hands are different.

Just my opinion.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  13. Donn

Donn Active Member

+1. Nothing at all against Glocks, they're a proven commodity. The true believers are a huge PITA. MHO you understand.

14. fmj

fmj New Member

They issue them so they can have glock leg! :D

I have shot a dozen different glocks EVERY DAMN ONE has had a failure. FTE, FTF, etc. etc.

Fanboys are fanboys for a reason....

EVERY semiauto can and WILL fail. PERIOD! End of discussion. EVERY DAMN ONE!

15. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Limp wrist.
    Lmfao

16. fmj

fmj New Member

LMFAO!!! Touche' fanboy, touche'

Need i upload video of my "limp wristing"?

17. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

This is what kills me...story time!!

:caution: extreme safety precautions were taken during testing!

A friend and I were at the range, and it just so happened to be the second trip with my G22. With all the talk about extreme reliability, we decided to give it a try. It had about 300rds shot before we did any tests, no cleaning. We then proceeded to apply dirt to the pistol, bang!, failure. Ok, so I cleared the FTF, bang!, failure. This repeated several more times before I decided to strip and clean it. I put it back together, bang!, failure. WTF!! Stripped and cleaned to again, and finally it worked. So we decided to keep shooting it, but after about 100rds it started having FTF's.

We were expressing to two fellow range members that we were not impressed by the Glock. Apart from the failures, the ergonomics are terrible. Guy getting out of his car hears this and first thing he says "Not impressed by Glock!!! Have you had Proper training?"

Now, I am NOT new to shooting handguns. I've been shooting them for years, and have shot many Glocks. Seeing as we shoot on average 10,000 rds a year (this year not included), I'd say we have a little bit of experience.

The gun has continued to have the occasional failure, but for the most part it works fine. The trigger sucks though!!!

I will never buy a new Glock again. Not because this one had failures, but for the fact that IMO they are over priced. I think one can get a better pistol for the same money spent.

Annnddd let the flaming commence!!!

18. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I will say this. Given all the abuse we have given this pistol, it still fires. They do hold up.

19. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Attached Files:

20. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Hey, this is your boys making these claims.

They are right. Glocks are sophisticated.

I'm just an idiot. Glock experts themselves told me

glocks need people to have a high degree of sophisticated

training in order to operate them.

I did not say this. What do I know?