why i dont defend property of others.

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by JonM, Jul 29, 2014.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

watching cops tonite on spike. last episode was this call 4 guys with guns. turned out a resident decided the blackguy digging in the back of a truck was stealing things. he threatened him with a shotgun. cops roll up prone out everyone turns out the blackguy's truck was broke he was fixing it the white resident assumed he was stealing. white resident goes to jail

never defend property of others...

call the police let them deal with it.

2. RKB

RKB Member

This is what the cops are paid to do. If you are not LE stay out of it!

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Each situation has to be evaluated for threat to yourself and others.

Fixing a car is not a threat to harm someone.

4. G30USMC

G30USMC New Member Supporter

If your life, or someone else's life is not in immediate danger, stay out of it and call the local authorities.

You are a better witness then anything else, there is no need to get into a situation, when it is not warranted.

I have seen first hand, where this is made to be a "set up" and a plot to do harm to oneself.

Again, if you or anyone else, life is not in immediate danger (life threatening) call the police department, and let us deal with the rest.

5. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

I mostly agree with you Jon with some reservations, as Danf pointed out, each situation is different and the call isnt universal. Defending "Others" and Defending "Others I know" could be completely different cases. Those I dont know probably will get help from the 911 call I make cause if I dont know much about them, its probably the only call I cam make that I can be sure is correct. When it comes to folks I do know in my little world, I could see myself stepping in according to the situation and the person.

I put my cape and mask away a very long time ago. Im not superman or the hulk, live to fight another day means each decision I make could be my last one and I treat them all that way to hopefully avoid dying before Im really old and wrinkly for the sake of some of the crazy folks that love me!

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have to agree. in probably about 99% of the time, it's probably much more prudent to cal LE and let them handle the situation.

in those 1% cases like if i were driving by my father's or brother's houses and i know they are out of town, i pretty much know who should or shouldn't be sitting in their driveways. in those cases, that would be my exception to the rule of just calling for LE to handle the situation.

7. WebleyFosbery38

Yup, it has everything to do with your situational awareness (as most things in life do). Jumping to conclusions can be a leap into a pit of vipers!

8. widowmaker

widowmaker New Member

It's a lot easier to jump into a hole than to jump out.
    I would pull my weapon in two instances. To defend my life. To defend someone else's life. Property can be replaced.
    Words of wisdom borne from experience.

You gain wisdom from experience, you gain experience from mistakes.

9. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Co-Worker saw someone coming out of a neighbors window that he knew was out of town. He held the guy prone at gun point while waiting for the police to show up... responding officer was a friend of his. Guy started complaining about being threatened with a gun, illegal detention, he has rights, etc, and the responding LEO told the guy you're lucky to be alive, we've had to take him to the psych hospital several times. It was all my co-worker could do to keep a straight face :)

Depending on the local LEO, that could have gone much differently.

10. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

The lesson here is to know what is legal to do, to know that things are often not what they seem and to take action only when time and circumstances warrant .

I won't guarantee that I will never help anyone . The following are true in some if not all jurisdictions :

A person has a right to resist an unjustified citizen's arrest .

If you arrest without probable cause, you may be guilty of false arrest and could be sued as well .

Citizen's arrests must not be done unreasonably, including for ridiculously minor offenses . Force used must be the minimum necessary to make and maintain the arrest . Pulling a gun on a car theft suspect these days will probably be considered excessive .

11. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

My firearms are to protect me and mine. I have never been deputized or swore to protect someone else or their possessions. Why should I go to jail or kill a man over my neighbor's car for example?

12. jakebrake

jakebrake New Member

it's not? have you seen how people drive?

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The lesson is "racism is alive and well". The "black guy" was obviously a criminal. ;/ Jumping to conclusions based on race is not PC ;)

14. WebleyFosbery38

"why i dont defend property of others.",

I hate when people ask a question to answer one but just this once,

"Why do people think others should always defend property that they arent paid to defend (especially property they dont own)?". ​

Too many people watching too many Chuck Norris Flicks, that sh!t aint real kids. It could be your last stand trying to save someone elses jewels and living to laugh another day likely means you should not go toe to toe with evil intent to save owned or others "property" (in most cases).

Things just dont matter that much to me, I can get more things, preserving the life of my family and myself will always be my first concern.

15. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

It's stuff. It's someone else's stuff. I might feel for their loss, but I'm not going to get involved. Rick (Casablanca) said it best, "I stick my neck out for nobody".

16. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

Good god your just seeing that episode, that's like the oldest most repeated episode around lol. There was a good newer one on the other day where a officer made a stop and the suspect came out the car shooting and struck the officer with a .45 before running off. When the cops and camera crew caught up with the perp he was being drug around by the k9, very satisfying to see and don't worry the officer was fine, sorry not trying to hi jack your thread here.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  17. Rentacop

Rentacop New Member

Mao was right about the people being a sea that the guerrilla swims in .
    s
    Similarly, a criminal needs a compliant population to ' swim ' in . If he knows no one dares to interfere with him because of civil and criminal liability, he has an easier time committing crimes . When the population becomes so frightened or apathetic that it won't even call the police or snap a photo, the criminal owns the streets .
    Something to consider ..................................

18. shooterstarget

shooterstarget New Member

So here is the situation…… A lady in a shopping center walks out with an arm load of groceries. As she approaches her car there is a man starting to drive off with the vehicle. She starts to yell and holler about her car being stolen. The question is: Is it being stolen or is it be repo'd.

Assess the situation and may still not be able to determine the 'who, what and why' questions. I like what WidowMaker stated… Property can be replaced. Stay safe.

19. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

ridiculous example

not my problem

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

agreed. if they are not attacking her personally, then she can call the cops or her finance company to make arrangements to catch her payments up. not my problem or concern. if anything, and it was a car theft, i might give as best an eye witness account of what i saw, but that's about it.