Why don't Marines wear camouflaged plate carriers?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by HotFudge, Nov 15, 2011.

1. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

That's always bugged me. Anytime I see pictures of Marines in training or in the sandbox, they always wear solid colored plate carriers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Compare that to US Army guys who always have fully camo'd PCs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone know what gives?

2. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Because the Marines are too cool for camo:p
    I think it has to do with keeping 'compatibility" between the two colors, one less piece of kit.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

Perhaps because nobody has the guts to tell them they don't match?

Reservists would catch to much heck.
    ;)

4. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I don't know, but that m4 the Army soldier on the bottom is carrying is freaking awesome. I like that grenade launcher too. :D

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

The Army has always been more fashion conscience and coordinated then the Marines. :p :D

6. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Because you're not blending into anything anyways. Look at all those pictures; you think the insurgents wouldn't see you walking around? Yeah the Army looks good cause they match, but really it's all about safety and it would have taken longer for that vest to be field to the Marines because the MARPAT pattern was a registered Copyright. The OTV or Outer Tactical Vest is made by an outside company in which they would need to apply for usage of the MARPAT pattern ensuing in a delay in fielding it.

7. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

So stupid politics it is!

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Ha Ha Ha!!! Imagine that!! Healy, Chesak, and Lt. Deitz in the top photo!!

I know for a fact those three don't need no stinkin camo!!

Wait a minute... were you in 1/6 hotfudge?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  9. Vincine

Vincine New Member

??? Have you seen a Marine in their dress uniform? There isn't anybody else anywear that could make that work! :p;)

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

IMO, the only other Military dress uniform as sharp as the Dress Blues, was the Nazi SS dress uniform. No, I'm not a Nazi (I am a quarter German though), and I don't hate Jews. It's just a sharp *** outfit.

11. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

No, I just dug around Google for the pictures. :D

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

Man, that's just crazy!!

A little background on that shot... 2003 at Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia, training ops of course, during our workup for Afghanistan. Healy is the "slightly fluffy" one (his words, not mine) right up front. Chesak is the guy slightly to the right and behind him. The Lt is the one standing, you can just see his face over Chesak's head. Both Healy and Chesak had been with the unit for about 2 months when this was taken. I don't know if Healy is still kicking or not, but I still talk to Chesak sometimes. Lost track of the Lt altogether, officer/enlisted fraternization rules... so I didn't ever have any personal contact info when he moved on to another unit.

13. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If the Corps has nothing but coyote brown plate covers in the warehouse, that's what gets issued. Nobody runs up new budgets for for camo plate covers just to be in style. The Corps doesn't have the Army's budget.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

ain't that the truth. I heard the army actually supplies their soldiers with socks and underwear. Is this true?

15. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Have you seen me in my dress blues? I've fought off men and women alike while wearing that uniform....fought the former harder then the latter. :cool:

As far as the camo....I don't know. I've seen old camo, tan and digital flacks and kevlar covers so I don't know.

16. CarlsbadRanger06

CarlsbadRanger06 New Member

Lol no. If it is they owe me a LOT of tightie tans!

17. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

hey, how's this for cover & concealment? Marines at MWTC with--yeah, you guessed it--coyote brown gear. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

coyote brown does okay with MARPAT desert...I ain't sure it works that well with the snow digis.

HF--to answer your question seriously...Marines traditionally "make do" with what they have. Conventional Corps wisdom is that if we find ourselves fighting in a particular environment eventually we will be issued gear appropriate to that environment...but there's no reason to invest, for example, in winter warfare plate covers just for training cycles.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  18. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Marines win battles and wars, only snipers need concealment, we are going in guns a blazing, so no need to blend in. That and plus as mentioned earlier we just don't have the budget!

19. Sniper75

Sniper75 New Member

The actual reason is because we can't afford to. Literally, we don't have the money for that high speed low drag gear...
    The Marine Corps had the smallest budget out of all the branches of service, even the Coast Guard. They just started issuing out new gas mask for all of us... And the army has had it for 5 years now. We always get all of the left overs.. But you know what we make it work and we kick ***.

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

Adapt and overcome, devil.