Why doesn't SIG have a larger fan base?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Kenney, May 26, 2012.

1. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Seems to me like people go as far as to prefer XDs or low end 1911s. The people who prefer Glocks over SIGs aren't even worth talking about.

2. oli700

oli700 New Member

Maybe people feel they get more bang for their buck elsewhere. Maybe most people want a stiker fired pistol.Maybe some people dont like the decocker on a Sig, or the capacity ?

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I for one love decockers, hate striker fire and love SA/DA autos. With that being said, I own a Glock and no Sigs. Why? As Oki700 said, bang for the buck.

Sigs just cost a lot on my budget.

4. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

I think SIG has a great following. SIG right now has some of the best selling 1911s on the market.

SIG has a nice following on this site. Gunrunner, gfrantz, others here have crazy love for SIG.

Today shooters are more into striker fired guns than sao 1911 dak type stuff.

Stay away from the p250 and SIG makes some of the best guns money can buy

5. gunfreak101

gunfreak101 New Member

Everyone has a different taste in guns. There is no reason to hate on people that like something you don't like. I own different type of weapons including glock's, I guess you can say I am open minded.

6. Kenney

Kenney New Member

It's not that I'm hating on them, it's just I can't see in one way how Glocks are remotely superior to a proper SIG.

7. gunfreak101

gunfreak101 New Member

People that see them in that way are just in love with them that's all. Don't get me wrong though glock's are great since they are kinda like AK's won't jam as easy as other guns ( I'm sure there are other brands that are as good) and cheap on price so you can't beat that.

8. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

What defines the superiority of a gun is the need of the owner. I don't think anyone can question that SIG and Glock both are extremely reliable weapons. That said what makes the SIG perfect in your mind and for your application may not be the same for me. I own both, and I enjoy both. For me the Glock is the only option for my every day carry for many reasons that have been beaten to death since the 1980's in discussions all over the world.

So while the intent of your original post may not be to offend, some may take it that way as it seems like an unnecessary attack on Glock fans. Personally I'm not offended because like I said, it all depends on the person. Thankfully we live in a world with many options, and to me that is a GREAT problem to have! :)

9. GLOCKMASTER

GLOCKMASTER New Member

Well said Nukinfuts29. I to prefer to Carry a GLOCK. Why? Because thats what works for me. SIGS are really nice. But I just prefer GLOCKS.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

personally i think Sig makes very reliable, accurate and well built pistols. but they are IMO a very premium pistol with a higher price tag than a comparable pistol of equal quality. with their prices at the upper range of a price scale and someone on a particular budget wanting to buy a pistol, they are not usually the first brand considered. i have owned a couple over the years myself, and can attest to the fact, they are excellent pistols, but with their cost, not my first choice.

11. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

Another excellent point. Gone are the days where most people have play money going beyond a few hundred.

12. Axxe55

with the economy the way it is, most people will buy using comparison shopping more so now than many years ago. and if a person can get what they need and fulfills those needs at a cheaper price, than usually that's where they spend their money. the Sig is IMO a premium pistol at a premium price. are they worth the extra difference? probably so as they are an excellent pistol with an excellent reputation and when many elite military units and SWAT teams use them, there is usually a good reason, they are that good.

13. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

They are certainly worth their price tag. In these times I think it is less of a collector and elitist market and more of a protect the family or zombie paranoia market. That said the pistols all do the same thing: go bang. Less bang for the buck (pun intended)

14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I own a Sig and I paid what to me is a lot of money. I don't buy guns every day or even every six months. I will probably keep any guns I buy forever. To me, it is worth it to pay more for a gun I really want than to get a less expensive gun and wish I had bought the one I 'really' wanted. My Sig cost me a lot of money but I think she's a really nice gun.

15. Axxe55

WOC, that is excellent reasoning, and why some people do spend the extra money to gett what they want vs. wishing later that they had spent the extra money. buyers remorse! as i said, the Sig's are excellent pistols and will like any premium product, hold it's value better in the long run.

you got the P238 didn't you?

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I've never seriously considered a Sig mainly due to price but I do know they make quality firearms. For a modern polymer pistol I prefer Glock. For steel and walnut I like Colt, S&W, Ruger and others. Nothing against Sig, or H&K for that matter, but you tend to see more interest and discussion in the mainstream.

17. knfxda

knfxda New Member

Personally, I love SIGs. But my XDm is a much better value. It does everything I want and need, feels great, and I shoot it very naturally. If price were not an issue, I'd own a SIG right now. I plan on owning a SIG in the future.

You just need to realize that some guns are far more accessible. And it's great that for the most part, gun boards don't seem to be a spending contest.

I do think that there is a lot of close mindedness and hyperbole from GLOCK fanatics. But that's true of most guns that have a cult-like following. (Glock just has a disproportionate number of them!). I keed! I keed! Just a little joke! :D

18. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Their 1911 series is not all that popular from what I read on this forum. The external extractor puts it in the company of Smith and Wesson, another company not known for its 1911's. It's slide has the Sig look, which definitely sets it apart from any other 1911's. I'm not impugning Sig, just suggesting that their design is divergent from JMB's classic design.

19. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

If that's the case and it is, why are we ok with the modern car? If we all still lived with dinosaurs, we should according to a large group carry only internal extractor 1911s and drive model A or T cars.
    The internal extractor argument is b.s.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  20. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

I don't think it's close mindedness as much as defensiveness. Most Glock owners own lots of other guns including sig, they just do not feel it is as suited for defense. This could be due to some self-fear that an external safety may cause them to make a mistake in a panic situation, it could be for a million other reasons.

Those that love Glock like other guns, they just love Glock lol.