Why does the firearms industry hate beauty

Discussion in 'Firearm's Industry' started by tinbucket, Jun 19, 2020.

1. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I learned a long time ago in machine gun school that you could learn to love ugly OIP.CUiCKDHrsVEyfsgEs_hNCwHaDf.jpeg

G66enigma, locutus and alsaqr like this.
  2. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Can't say that I've ever had firearms like that.

About the prettiest (well, shiniest, at least): a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .44 revolver. Nice-looking little unit. Worth about one set of car tires, give or take. Never did treat it like the Hope Diamond.

Every other rifle or sidearm I've ever had got used as I needed it to be. Took a few training classes one year, where the shooting area was covered with a gravel. (A decidedly awful thing to have in a shooting area, IMO.) Did two-gun drills, shooting from bare cover, etc. Let's just say that elbow pads and knee pads were useful. Took a little bite out of the finish on the shotguns as they were discarded during drills. Didn't like doing that, but that was necessary in order to get through the training drills. Was a shorty Rem 870P Police 12ga. Had a dusty-rusty-black type finish on it anyway, and wasn't all that great looking to begin with. Just had a bit of obvious wear, afterwards. Almost gave it more character.

Can't recall ever selling or trading a firearm that didn't have obvious nicks, scuffs and rough-handling signs. But, every one was in great shape, well cared for, kept in top shape. Even with the little "battle" scars. Wouldn't have it any other way.

3. RaySendero

RaySendero Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="W.T. Sherman, post: 2251668, member: 71028]....
    plastic and steel can be just as beautiful as fancy wood and steel.
    [/QUOTE]

No it can't :

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    Txhillbilly likes this.
  4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Of course, beauty is in the eyes of the beer-holder, I mean the beholder.

Real beauty can be the sum total of engineering, function, ergonomics, as well as attractiveness to the eye, with the latter being the most subjective. I have had a love affair with the 1911 since the day a grizzled old Chief Petty Officer put worn out, WWII vintage, 1911 on the shooting bench in front of me. It is certainly not a "fine" firearm by standard definition, not an expensive firearm, but it is an excellent balance between economics and beauty. To me, this is a damn pretty firearm, and I am proud to shoot it or show it off.
    DSCN1976.JPG

Rifling82 likes this.
  5. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I’m with Chain on this one, the 1911 is a damn nice looking firearm, I have no need for the rail or two tone, forward serrations etc

tinbucket likes this.
  6. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a two tone Rock Island, but only because a buddy was moving out of state and needed some money. It will be on my short list of sale items when the time comes. I have never needed any bells and whistles on any firearm. A good set of sights for my old eyes, and I am good to go. Fancy front serrations do nothing as far as I am concerned, because I am only racking a 1911 when I am not under pressure.

Rifling82 likes this.
  7. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

If you want ugly the Russians hold that title with a lot of their stuff....................ugly but very functional if you want fancy and precision made the Germans, Italians and Poms are your go to with the likes of Mausers, H&H, H&R, Beretta, Purdey, etc then there's the likes of Roy Wetherby's early rifles like the Mk V in the big calibres some of the Winchesters like the pre '64's.
    There is also some sort of "beauty" in some ugly firearms as well like the MG42, AK47, SMLE, Browning .50, SLR to name a few.

Rifling82 likes this.
  8. G66enigma

The Sten SMG comes to mind, for functional but ugly.

Rifling82 likes this.
  9. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry Active Member

It's all in where you look for traditional quality. I'd suggest taking a looks at C.Sharps and Shiloh for old time good work. It's easy to drop thousands for those firearms. Basically, old quality is expensive. I have several rifles with "Tupperware" stocks. These guns are accurate and reliable. At the range, a fellow shooter came over and started a conversation. He had always wanted a quality rifle. He had a Blazer rifle with two additional barrels. He may have had ten thousand dollars in that rifle. The rifle was engraved with fancy wood and big ticket German scope. After the guided tour, I went back to shooting my Number One A in 30-06.The Number One suited me just fine. So did the "Tupperware" stocked guns. Get wound around the axle on over real old time quality with the understanding we are talking serious money these days.

10. SK2344

SK2344 Active Member

A Firearm is just a weapon and is designed to be just that and was never made to be entered into a beauty contest. Having said this, I don't think gun manufacturers hate beauty and by looking at all these photos of your favorite guns, I see some awesome looking guns and I think that the beauty is there if you just look harder! WOW!

G66enigma likes this.
  11. G66enigma

"Beauty" can come from the functional design aesthetic, too, if done well. Lines that flow from function can strongly hint at the capability and strength of design underlying those looks. (A bit like, say, a McLaren automobile; a bit fan-boi for my tastes, style-wise, but clearly oh-so-capable based on form following function.)

SK2344 likes this.