Why does the Carcano get a bad name?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by YoungGunWill, Jul 26, 2010.

1. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

Ive held, shot, and fondled my very close freinds M91 Carcano rifle. The bolt action so smooth, it feels good to shoot, and with vintage ammo I hit my target every time. Only thing is the stock has been sporterized. my ONLY dislike is that its got a LONG trigger pull...so my question is how did it get a bad name:confused:

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

A Carcano was used by Lee Harvey Oswald to assassinate President John F. Kennedy.

3. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

That will do it......:eek:

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Interesting fact, Don.

Wonder what the other shooters used?

5. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

I mean like quality wise, many people I have asked around and hears answers like "it would better as a club" or "Its the humane cattle killer".

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'm not sure what rifle shoots a "magic bullet".

7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Outside of that magic shooting back in 63 I haven't seen one shoot all that accurate. I remember seeing some a couple gun shows back and they where about giving the things away.

8. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

lol oh no Ive started up the JFK conspiracy machine!:eek:

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

From a quality standpoint, the 6.5x52 Carcano was very strong and well made,but uses a progressive twist. Why one might ask? The 6.5 bullet they used was so long it would start to twist before it had fully left the case neck and would literally twist into 2 pieces. So the Italians opted for a progressive twist. As a kid my Dad use to refer to the Carcano as the rifle that never killed a U.S. Soldier, only a President.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

This is pretty fascinating $hit.....thanks for it, guys!

11. ronl

ronl New Member

The Carcano gets a bad rap because it really isn't that good of a rifle. The ones I have owned were truly mediocre in just about every respect.

12. greydog

greydog Member

The progressive (gain) twist rifling used in the Carcano barrel was intended to give higher velocities at lower pressures. The 160 grain 6.5 bullet was standard fare in virtually all the early 6.5 cartridges and none of the others saw any need to use a gain twist. There was no real benefit to it.
    The real reasons for the Carcanos lack of popularity are numerous and I'll try to hit on a few of them.
    The cocking cam was steep and cocking effort was relatively high.
    The forward placement of the bolt handle was awkward in use.
    The split bridge made necessary by the forward handle placement also made scope mounting problematic.
    Clips were necessary for the magazine to function. In addition, the action was suitable for the Carcano cartridges only. (actually, a friend of mine converted one to 35 Remington and it worked reasonably well).
    The safety was awkward to use and not in any way convenient.
    The overall quality of workmanship was crude.
    The Japanese used a rifle, made for them by Italy, which was a Carcano with a Mauser-type magazine. Called the Type I, this rifle was chambered for the 6.5 Japanese cartridge. I had one of these which was quite accurate but still crude. GD

13. YoungGunWill

YoungGunWill New Member

Greydog thanks i got the answer i wanted, i guess it will just be another loved safe queen that my freind will love to keep:eek:

14. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

You think that's funny?

15. powg

powg New Member

point made

not trying to be funny ....just expounding with crude detail the harsh realities that are evident when a free society are really held captive by a shadow government bent on control.....all the worlds a stage and we are only actors in it .

16. james_black

james_black New Member

You tell them POWG. The reason why the bad name is because it created a big hole into a president head. That is why. :rolleyes:

17. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

....whatever.

18. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

......huh?

19. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

You guys are in the wrong place. James B has been for quite some time.

20. james_black

james_black New Member

and you are asleep behind the wheel but you dont see me making a deal about it.