why does my local range?

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by flyinHawaiian, Sep 5, 2013.

1. flyinHawaiian

flyinHawaiian New Member

Quick question, is it normal for my local range to swipe my drivers license? I've never had this done before at other ranges. I'm in California so who knows what kind of crazy %*#& they're up to. Just curious if anyone knows about this. Do they have the authority to run my I. D. ?

2. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

My range scans it and has it in their system. Whether or not they have that authority is a good question, but I do know that I can't shoot there unless I consent to it. I'm assuming they have to do it to make sure there aren't any felons in possession of firearms using their range.

3. QueenGlamis

QueenGlamis New Member

ooooh Komiefornia -- probably tracking what evil weapons you dare to own. shoot or rent there. j/k, that does sound crazy. Here in the free state of AZ, they just clip your ID to the lane you are assigned to, and ooooh and ahhhh if you bring a pretty awesome weapon to the range.

4. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Wow... AZ sounds about as Commie as Commifornia.

I've never been asked to show ID in Washington State or Oregon to use a range.

Tack

5. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

What part of Washington? There's only one range Near me and the next closest range is at least two hours away. And even still the liberal cry babies tries to get the only range in town shut down! I think they added the I.d thing after they opened back up but I'm not sure. Maybe as a way to bow to the people who wanted them gone.

6. flyinHawaiian

flyinHawaiian New Member

Sooooo, if they're checking for felons then they're running my dl correct? Just seemed weird because no other range that I've been to has done this. They keep track of enough without tracking WHEN and WHERE I'm shooting! Gotta move.

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

Hasn't happened to me, been living in Kalifornia for about a year and a half.

Of course, I have an Ohio driver's license. But they never swiped my wife's DL either, and her's is from here.

8. SeaCapt

SeaCapt New Member

I live in Az and I've never had them clip my ID to the shooing lane. Was that an indoor range? They used to make me sign a waiver before I got a membership.. Love Az..

9. utf59

utf59 New Member

There are two ranges near me that do that. One takes your driver's license and a phone number if you're renting the use of a plate rack. There's a padlock on the racks, and having your license and phone number helps them make sure they get the key back.

Another range takes your DL if you aren't a member. If you are a member, they just hold your member ID. In their case, if you use their range, you pay as you leave. So they attach a sales ticket to your ID with a list of stuff you will have to pay for (ammunition, targets, etc.). That way, if you want more ammo, they can add it to your bill, and you just pay once.

Neither of these places runs a check on your ID.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

I bought some swishers the other day at a convenience store I don't normally frequent, and they swiped the ID to verify my age. I didn't like it, and I told them so. They assured me that their system did not record the information.

Perhaps the range uses the swipe to record your name & info as a record of who was on the range, for use in the event of a shooting or damage to the facilities, like an automated sign-in sheet with no allowance for aliases. I seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriously doubt they are running it through NCIS as if they were doing a 4473 for a firearms sale.

11. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

That probably makes more sense. I don't know if they check members' i.d.

12. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

Back in "allthenoise" (Illinois) we had a FOID card. That is what you had to show at the range. But to get a FOID card you already had to have a state police criminal background check. Here in the show-me state. "we don't need no stinkin' ranges". Many of us in the rural area have 5 or more acres so we shoot at home. There are times when it sounds like a range outside....if you can hear anything over the tractors and cicadas.

13. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Mine takes your ID and puts in on a clipboard with a list of your time and charges. The only thing they Swipe is your credit or debit card.

14. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Vancouver area, Clark County.

I'm a member and RSO for Clark Rifles Gun Club and we allow the public to shoot on Sundays... Never had a requirement to check ID's

15. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

Is it a private range, on private property, or public ?

16. orangello

orangello New Member

[scribbling notes for bobthefed] :p

17. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Misuse and mismanagement is a huge deal these days, however, not everyone asking for your driver's license is into identity theft! There are valid reasons for requesting it, and usually it's to save resources and make life easier for you and the clerk.

The only information in the stripe of your license is the information that's on the front. Name, address, height, weight, age - everything but the photo. No driving citations, criminal record or anything else is carried on your license. Many Point of Sale (POS) systems, ESPECIALLY in adult-only industries (guns, alcohol, adult entertainment), scan your license and check the age to make sure you can rent guns, buy ammo, buy pistols or rifles, etc. and this is an INTERNAL check done by the software. It then marks a software "flag" that your State I.D. Has been checked and you are an adult, but no record of birthday is kept.

Some POS systems will record your address and name for marketing purposes. Some will keep all of your information to be able to fill out an online 4473 for future gun purchases. Some record only your zip code for marketing area purposes. Except for the last one (zip code only), you MUST sign a consent form for the store to save any info in their system OR run it against ANY database (credit, NCIC, marketing, etc.) and the fines for misuse of your information come with some very stiff penalties - too high for a retailer to violate them. This has been done to avoid making a form to fill out (a waste of our natural resources), having a clerk explain it to every customer (a waste of time), having the customer fill it out, possibly with errors or filling it out wrong (another waste of time), and then throwing the form out (extra trash) after the clerk transfers all the information into the computer (more time wasting). You should be asked to sign a form allowing them to save and/or run info, if that is their intention - no form = not able to save info, just used for adult check and saving zip code.

Everyone has a right to secure their info, and BEFORE anyone gets handed your driver's license, you should always ask the question: "what information are you using, how, and are you saving it?" If the clerk doesn't know, tell him to get someone who does. Also, any responsible store will have a printed policy of their use of personal information. Any of you that have already turned over your card to scanners, call them, ask the same question, and DEMAND that your information be removed from their system if you did not give permission for its use. You have complete control over your private info and how others use it. Contact your state Department of Consumer Affairs on any business that does not follow your instructions IMMEDIATELY.

Finally, NEVER let your license go out of your sight! It can be photocopied, a picture taken of it with a cell phone or scanned by a reader not owned by the store owner. It should never be slid in a reader not on the counter and part of a POS or BATFE system. Small, handheld scanners can be carried in the pocket by clerks bent on identity theft. If a clerk tries to walk away, stop him and take your license back. Waiters also fall in this category: It's okay to check your name against credit card, but there is no reason to leave the table with your license.

18. bigjim

bigjim New Member

In Illinois, all ranges will ask to see your FOID (Firearms Owner Identification Card). It isn't needed to shoot actually, but is needed for you to be in possession of a firearm or ammo. I can have my wife, children or a friend shoot without one as long as I am supervising their use of my firearm.

Most will have you record your FOID number and sign a waver of liability form. As to having to deposit your drivers lic., I am aware of only one range that requires that because the Chief of Police of the city they are in request it. I told them to kiss my butt since it is against State law for them to do so. I can see it if you are renting their equipment (firearms) but outside of that NO.

It is your choice to do so or not, you do not need to use their facilities if you feel that your are being abused.

Jim

On the same note, when purchasing a firearm the seller will make a photocopy of your Driver LIC. and FOID card that they attach to their copy of the 4473 form this is standard practice here.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  19. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

DL info can be found pretty easily if you have the right tools or friends in the right places. Just don't put your social on it and don't worry about it too much. ;-)

20. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Asphinctersayswhat???? asphinctersayskissmebobthefed! ;)