Why does a suppressor make a rifle more accurate?

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by GREGULON, Mar 27, 2012.

1. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

I was at the range today and one of the shooters hand a nice can, and commented to me how much more accurate it was with it than without it. He didn'tfeel he knew why so O wondered if one of you might be able to explain. He was shooting a AR-10.

2. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

3. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

Plus the gases are released from behind the bullet in a controlled manor. If the base of the bullets are not 100% perfect the loose pressure at a different spot each shot nudging the bullet this way or that way.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk

4. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

Wow great article.

5. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

I am going to Germany and France in April. Are there any companies that make suppressors there. Would they make a 223/5.56?

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Greg- the use of suppressors is more common in Europe, and does not have half the restrictions we have in the US. Matter of fact, in some areqas it is expected that you WILL use a suppressor and not annoy the neighbors.

Two points- a suppressor only knocks so much noise off a .223. If the bullet is supersonic, THAT makes a crack.

Second- If thinking about bringing a suppressor BACK to the US- is going to be a major exercise in frustration. Under US law, a suppressor IS a class III firearm. Yeah, I know it is not a gun, and YOU know that- but Federal law says it IS.

7. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

Yea I know but at the prices here O just thought maybe I could shave a couple hundred off.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Any money you might save by purchasing in Europe will get eaten up by import fees or fines if you choose to side step the legal importation route. You can also count on losing about 5 years of freedom as a guest of Club Fed.

Europeans consider it "ungentlemanly" to shoot an unsuppressed rifle in anything resembling a populated area.

9. photopro

photopro New Member

I use sound moderators on a 22LR 77/22 Ruger and my 6.5x55 Sako 85. The Ruger is as quiet as a mouse but only because I feed it subsonics, more than adequate for coney. The Sako being a deer rifle is supersonic and the moderator can only reduce the sharp crack as a bullet is fired, still loud but noticeably reduced.
    The position in the UK is that a moderator is also as restricted as a firearm and is listed on your certificate, it's no trouble getting the permission though. Having said that if you buy a street legal air rifle in the UK this is not more than 12ft/lb of pressure you can buy a moderator over the counter without a certificate, however if you buy an air rifle of over 12ft/lb of pressure it becomes a section one firearm and you do need to have a certificate for the moderator even though it may be the very same moderator you have for your street legal air rifle. There has been talk over the last few years of the UK abolishing the certificate requirement for moderators and to be honest it's long over due. I blame some of the early US gangster movies - Mr Cagney etc - who clicked a "silencer" onto their handgun and it spat the bullet out with sound level of a gnat's fart. This frightened gullable authorities into thinking you could discharge a firearm without anyone hearing, hence the stupid restrictions.
    As Mr H Simpson says, DOH!!

Sorry this simple isn't true.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  10. GREGULON

GREGULON New Member

So airsoft makes a "moderator" that will work with subsonic rounds? Is that what your saying?

11. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

12. photopro

photopro New Member

Moderators work with subsonic and supersonic rounds however a subsonic round can be reduced to a whisper as it isn't breaking the sound barrier.