Why Do.........

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by snakeoil, Aug 24, 2014.

1. snakeoil

snakeoil Member

......Deer hunting shows insist on the hunters shooting the deer behind the shoulder, and then show it running off in the woods are else where ? Is it drama are do they think its the best place
    to put the bullet?....you would think,that after all the "run-offs",they would come to a different conclusion.....My best hunting buddy was having the "run-off" problem in South Texas....the reason I found it out, was he asked me if I could fined him some snake chaps,so he could track his animals down in the chaparral and thorns....he nearly got "fanged" in one of his searches....An old federal game warden put me on to neck shooting...so, I told him about it,and he hasn't had anymore deer run off....snake chaps never come out of the closet anymore....;)

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I have wondered that myself. All the targets are drawn that way too.

3. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

The heart and lungs offer a much larger target, with less meat loss.
    And when bowhunting it's best to avoid shoulder hits....some folks like having a singular aiming methodology.
    Neck shots can work, but the target is smaller...........more chance of screwing up.

Deer running after the shot is no big deal.
    You do it right, there's a fun red trail that leads you to the venison.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  4. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member

i shoot for the neck every time. they drop like a stone, no running involved
    no meat loss whatsoever.
    these hunting showh have to have some drama and appeal to the armchair deer hunters.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  6. Control

Control New Member

Deleted, duplicate post!

7. Control

Control New Member

Behind the shoulder is where the largest vital organs are, the heart and lungs.

It's easier to hit, that's why I aim for it.

When a deer is close, undisturbed and I have a steady aim a shot into the base of it's neck is just fine.

Another thing is that deer raise and lower their heads very fast when feeding and then to look up. Too easy to make a bad shot at a neck then.

Here is a large buck I shot at 280 yards. I had to wait for him to turn broadside. He was feeding and moving his head up and down. Much too far for a neck shot.

[​IMG]

8. St8LineGunsmith

I would also imagine most of these TV hunts are done on pay per hunt ranches as well in order to be able to control the game quality for production purposes
    if they were to video me it would be me taking a doe for the quality of the meat and flavor. big bucks tastes nasty and you cant eat the antlers.
    YMMV

9. snakeoil

snakeoil Member

My son and I were hunting on a farm in west Alabama,several years back,and he wanted to hunt a field 535 yds long...the owner asked him if he had a rifle and glass that was suited for the long field....I told the owner that my son could borrow my rifle which is a model 70 "Laredo" with a 50mm scope(Swarovski)..the owner OK'd the hunt...at about 4:30 that afternoon, I heard a "boom"!.....short story , he killed the 146 class buck(230 lbs) @ 450 measured yds....neck shot! Dropped where he was standing...one shot! Base of neck , cal. 300 Weatherby custom barrel....My son had never ever shot that rifle before his trophy kill!.....

10. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Trophy deer probably go to the taxidermist.
    Using the original cape, without repair, might be a strong consideration for bullet placement elsewhere.
    Not everybody uses the same type of cartridge/bullet.
    What works out yonder might be messy up close.
    Behind the shoulder, going for the heart and lungs.....that's the biggest target and yet some folks have less than perfect track records hitting that.

Snakeoil, did the bullet of your story land where it was intended (might be implied, but NOTHING in your post says it was) ?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  11. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

the heart and lungs offer the biggest target, make for a good kill, and very little meat loss. if a deer is looking strait at me even at 25 yards im not going to put my arrow into his neck.. nope sorry. now if i have my rifle. sure thing. i know how i shoot my rifle and i trust it to penatrate plenty. but if i still have a choice im taking the broadside shot.. BTW. my wifes deer dropped where it stood last year with a broadside heart shot. and the last few deer ive taken with broadside shots have only stumbled 4 or five steps before toppling... neck shots not ruining meat? you guys probly dont make soup out the neck meat and bones do you? and whats this about bucks tasting nasty?. its all about IMEDIATELY dressing and processing your deer along with proper cooking.. just yesterday i had a delicous, juicy, and tender roast from my BUCK i shot...

but to answer the question. yes for the average hunter heart, and lungs IS the ethical shot.

12. snakeoil

snakeoil Member

...every since my son was a young hunter,he was trained for neck shots on deer,at any range....I must say,you could have made that shot with the equipment he had....6x24x50 Swarovski with a TDS reticle...set up @ 200yds dead center...and increments of a 100 yds....Laredo maxes out @ 600 yds
    ....and he is an accomplished rifle shooter,as well as an expert pistol marksman...Never have had a cape problem with a neck shot,using 150 gr. Nosler Weatherby Factory ammo....only...

13. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe those "hunters" hit the deer well behind ths shoulders; like in the guts. In the past 40 years i've killed over 250 deer, most with behind the shoulder shots. About half those deer bang flopped. Few went over about 100 yards after being shot. There is one deer stand very close to the property line where i will take a shoulder shot.

i've tracked numerous wounded deer and elk for other hunters. Most of the deer and elk i recovered were gut shot. Very few hunters would fess up to a gut shot, it's a man thing.

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I tend to take the shot I can make. You might say I have a sliding scale of where I am going to shoot the deer. If the deer is very close just looking around I will shoot it in the head. If the deer is to far to see it's eyes I shoot it in the neck. If the deer is well over 100 yards away I shoot it in the shoulder blades. I want the deer to go down instantly. A shot to the heart and lungs is seldom an instant take down.

In this area we have so many cut overs that are impenetrable if you take shots that allow the deer to run just a short distance I hope you have a good tracking dog. If you let a deer run 50 yards into a cut over your chances are slim of finding that deer. You have a visibility of around 10 feet and everything has stickers on it. A brush ax or machete is an aid but neither will increase your visibility.

I do not bow hunt and I couldn't careless what bow hunters do.

15. alsaqr

IME: A heart lung shot is often a bang flop when done right.

16. snakeoil

snakeoil Member

...a bang flop......:D......also,one of our Texas things to do for competition ,was to shoot a turkey in the neck....To win the Turkey Award!..must be at least a 200 hundred yd shot...;) ..is abang flop where all four legs come off the ground,and the deer flops on its back?

17. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Uh, remember, not everybody is using a high powered rifle to take their deer.
    I've killed quite a few with shotguns, muzzleloaders and handguns, and the heart shot usually gets me a mule kick and a deer hauling arse for 50 yards. Sometimes they go even further.
    But they're easy to find :)

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Exactly how does one do a heart shot right? I was unaware that there was an improper way to shoot a deer in the heart.

19. St8LineGunsmith

I have also used all these weapons including archery equipment
    a well placed shot in the neck with any of the mentioned will drop a white tail in its tracks. got tired of having to track donn my deer after I shoot one and stand the chance of loosing it or another hunter claiming it.
    If I cannot get a clean neck shot the deer gets a pass.
    but thats just me YMMV.

20. alsaqr

i ain't talking about heart shots. i'm talking about shots in the area of a deers heart/lungs. Most of my deer kills since 1999 have been with .50 muzzleloaders and heart/lung shots: About half have died on the spot. Ditto for the hundreds of deer i've killed with center fire rifles since 1953.

About 3/4 of the many dozens of wounded deer and elk i tracked for other hunters were shot in the guts. Guts=behind the diaphragm.