why do you reload?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by lonewolf101, Aug 1, 2011.

1. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

I know it cost more today to reload then back in 89 when I first started,but I like it and its fun the scale I have keeps me on my toes!!! so I check every powder charge it seems like every 5 times I have to reajust but thats ok,at lest I get better ammo.

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Do you calibrate your scale with weights?

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Better cheaper ammo. I can make match grade ammo way cheaper than similar shelf ammo.

I can crank out bulk ammo for handguns or rifles if i want. Some rounds i shoot like 458 winmag are close to 80$ for 20 i can make it for about 5$ per 20.

I also enjoy reloading.

Its not always easy in wis to find a good deal on bulk ammo shipping general destroys savings.

For rounds like 460 rowland i can make it any power leevel i want from 45acp levels to full power. Just more bullet options when was the last time you could buy 7.62x54R using 168 grn bthp or nosler partition for hunting.

4. Bushman

Bushman Member

A box of 50 .45's from Freddy's is about 30 bucks here. I reload with plated bullets for about 10.
    For me, cheap range ammo is a good thing. It's a fun way to spend an evening too.

5. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

I have a Dillon beam scale

6. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

For me it all started with trying to feed my Arisaka and Win 95 (in .30 US).. Now its getting where I like reloading just as much as shooting! (Maybe a little more! :p ) Its a interesting hobby to say the least!.... I really like "reforming" .30-06 into 7.7 Jap..

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ive got one of those rcbs chargemaster scales that auto meter powder charges.

8. alxltd1

alxltd1 New Member

First is because I really enjoy it and the satisfaction that I know my ammo will be as accurate as it can and tailored to my gun. Second is because I do own and fire a number of wildcat cartridges and you just can't run down to the local gun shop and buy it off the shelf. Lastly, because I can.:D

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

It's a really fun hobby and I enjoy getting the best I can out of my rifles by working up the perfect load.

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

That doesn't sound right. I would hope that you'd be within a tenth of a grain of your original load after ten throws or so.

11. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

that why my 308 in at the gunsmith 1 bullet didnt make it out of the barrel and I tryed to pond it out but nothing!.

12. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

Since you started this thread, its pretty obvious that between 2,3,4 or 5 There was no powder charge in one of them. Your probably feeling like I did after I blew up a gun, due to an over charge. It was not a double charge, but it indeed was over charged. Nobody got hurt, but the bolt was toast. It took me awhile to figure out what really happened, but today I have it under control again. So hang in there and don't feel bad if you have to de-mill x number of rounds because you have no confidence in them. Been there and done that.

13. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

First off it was getting down to the last row so maybe it was low on powder
    maybe the primer was bad either way stuff like that happends from time to time.Their nothing 100% in reloading! you might do everything right but 1 thats all it takes.