Why do you own a(n) SUR?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by cpttango30, Sep 7, 2010.

1. None of your business

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. I like them

11 vote(s)
    23.9%
  3. I am a ninja and I must have them for my Security job

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. They are a good platform that works great.

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  5. Other Please post reason.

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Why do you own one or more AR-15 rifles?

I wanted one because I wanted one. I didn't need it I just wanted it. Plus we all know that zombies are coming and there is nothing we can do about it. A bolt gun will kill them but when you got 15 zombies trying to eat your brains a 5 rnd mag ain't doin crap but getting you killed.

OK I wanted a varmint rife with a higher capacity then 5 that was a tad lighter than the 13# my remmy weighs in at will all her stuff on. I load 2 20 round mags and set to the field to bush ground hogs. Don't have to go back to the truck if I have my camelbak on.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Simply because I didn't own any long guns at all. It doesn't get shot much but it (and 1000 rounds of ammo) sits at the ready...

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I built mine because I wanted a project. I wanted to learn a skill and I needed a task to teach myself that skill. I'm not a big 223 fan but mine is chambered for the round and it's fun to shoot. Once funds loosen up I have plans to build another one in a caliber more to my liking.

I have to admit, now that I have it completed every groundhog I see has a big bulls eye on it. Sometimes I wish I lived in pararie dog country.

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Spity I think we need to organize the yearly FTF Strike Team 1 Prairie Dog Wars.

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I could so get into that!! Give a little time to work up a good load for it. Got any recommendations? 20" barrel, 1:9.

6. Highpower

Highpower New Member

The time: 1975
    The place: Lackland Air Force Base, TX
    The why: Basic training

I am blind as a bat without my eyeglasses at distance. (Near sighted)
    Of course I managed to break them several weeks into basic, about 3 days before we went to receive some small arms training and "qualify" with Air Force M-16A1 rifles. Of course my replacement eyes had not yet been procured.

So after we went through our classroom training and got out on the firing line, they put us in our positions at our firing points. The RSO went through the course of fire procedure again and then asked if there any questions. I raised my hand and informed him of my predicament.

He asked me if I could see the target (silhouette) downrange from me.
    I answered "barely -- it's just a blur".
    His response: "Then shoot at it!"

After it was over I dreaded awaiting the results since this was the second time in my life I had ever fired a center-fire rifle. Then as everyone was gathered around the RSO to get their scores, he called out my name and score. Then he says -- "Blind my @SS!", and said that I cleaned the target (75/75). He then proclaimed me to be a sand-bagger..... :eek:

That was the day I was sold on the platform - for life! :)

7. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Need I say more

Attached Files:

8. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

I decided to build my SUR for a few reasons one already stated above(the zombies will come). But seriously I have always like the m-16/ar-15 platform even before i really knew alot about them. and now that you have more options then just 5.56/223 im really excited i have already started to plan for my next one (beowolf)and i dont have the first one done yet. just waitin for my tax return. but i will have a few black rifles in my arsenal by the time im done. just gotta get back to the civalized side of the country(anything east of kommiefornia)

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Im a ninja employed by the mall to keep it safe from the violence sweeping our nation. No not really. Just trying to keep up on some training.

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I built mine because I like it and I wanted one. I thought it would be my best bet for a SHTF gun until I bought my Socom.

IMO, the Socom will be my first zombie choice. Ammo should be pretty easy to come by, especially if I keep handloading for .308 every day as I have been. I like the knockdown power of the .308 over the .223 in that situation, plus I have several 20-round mags for it so capacity is almost the same. Something about 20 rapid-fire .308 rounds over 30 .223 rounds that I like.

11. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Because as a responsible firearm owner it's my job to own as many as I can to keep them from falling into the wrong hands.

12. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

I dig Joe's reasoning, and I am of the same belief. I bought my first AR as a dedicated varmint gun. Hardly any recoil so you can watch your varmint explode through your optics.

13. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

joe i would have to agree with you there thats pretty awesome.

lon the only reason that i would take a ar of a socom in the zombie out break is for long shots. knock down power doesnt matter when all your doin is head shots anyway. you can carry way more 5.56 then you can 7.62 for the same weight. plus like i said head shots. however i will have both and the socom will be my hunting rifle!

P.S. sorry didnt mean to thread jack.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I owned every 5.56 carbine on the market back in the 80's n 90's. Beretta, Steyr, FNC, Daewoo, AK's, but the plain old AR15 kept going and going. So I sold most of the others and focused on AR's. Have a few and like them. The advent of the flat top really rejuvenated them. 5.56 with 55gr pills is pretty destructive. I have a Colt 9mm that is pretty great, too. My little CAR is fairly basic and gets the job done, too.

I love the utility and ease of the AR.

But nothing beats an M14. Ha.

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Cane pretty much sums it up there!

When the ***(N9)ault ban sunsetted I figured I'd better start looking for an AR and AK while I could. Stumbled across a good AK in 2006 but drug my feet too long on the AR so had to wait until BO panic buying died down before building mine last summer. The wait was worth it because it's a fine rifle.

Also I carried the M16 in Vietnam but for various reasons when I got out of the service never got into ARs. Figured after 40 years it was about time!

17. orangello

orangello New Member

Wait, so none of you guys is a neat freak with an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder related to firearms cleaning?
    ;)

18. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Lon, I don't consider the term SUR to be strictly associated with the AR platform. An AR is Jeep of SUR's. Easily accessorized, reliable, fun. An M-1A is the H-1 of the SUR's. Big, strong and for fun. There is room for a variety of niches within the SUR category from Suzuki Samuri (Kel-Tec) to Mercedes (HK-91).

19. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

:D
    so ironic that you say this because at the same time that im building my ar i am also rebuilding my 77 CJ-5. 2 things i love guns and cars you sir just made my day!

20. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

You talk like you OWN an HK or something! :eek: