Why do some people hate the wasr 10/63?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by hq357, Oct 27, 2013.

1. hq357

hq357 New Member

When i ask to look at a wasr 10/63 some people in the gun-shop will say things like those are crap and then i look onto reviews and people say they are sheet metal the sights are canted they jam and have no matching parts. usually i hear people say get an o-pap ak or arsenal ak and that wasr is the lowest of low is this true? Will a 10/63 perform just as well as a arsenal? I thought the 10/63 rifles were improved in quality i bet the people that say the wasr sucks never owned one so let me know what you think of the wasr if you have one :)

2. JayCody

JayCody New Member

I think most of the bad feedback is because of the fit and finish. the metal finish scratches easy, and some parts may be really loose or really tight. some of the sight blocks can also be canted. Over all it works and Is a good firearm.

3. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I have one and no problems of any kind and I've run 1000 plus rounds through it.
    I find it to be reasonably accurate especially the first few rounds before the thing get very hot.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

A lot of the stuff comes from early examples. Century was assembling them and hadn't really got the process down on the early guns. Later ones seem a bit better. Some AK traditionalist also don't like the fact that they don't have the dimples in the receiver to stabilize the mag, but have sheet metal inserts instead.

So there are things to look for, because the early models are floating around. Check for canted sights or gas blocks. Also check for excessive mag wobble (Century did grind some of the sheet metal supports down too far). A little mag wobble is ok and even normal in an AKM clone.

I have a WASR 10/63. It hasn't given me any problems. It is more accurate than most if my friends expect it to be. Nothing really special about it. Nothing to dislike about it really.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  5. indy36

indy36 New Member

I think many people assume anything assembled by Century is crap. I myself had a Century Galil Golani that had issues. I sent it to a well respected Galil gunsmith that said nothing good about Century. My gun had headspace issues and the Rockwell hardness of the receiver was so low he said it was unsafe to fire. I called Century and they told me to pound salt. It is for that reason that I despise them and will never buy one of their guns ever again. The Web is full of those kind of stories. Buyer beware. On the other side, the Arsenal AK is top notch.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

both my ak are wasr 10/63. i chose them BECAUSE thats what they were. the problem can be iffy assembly and handpicking is pretty much required. get a good one and no issues.

the wasr 10/63 has the widest available selection of ak parts in the US. thats why i picked it. i dont see any point to paying a ton for an ak47.

7. EMR76

EMR76 New Member

I have one and love it. It's an AK - it will be reliable. A lot of people just parrot crap they read in other forums.

8. hoovco

hoovco New Member

I'm pretty sure it's because Century put together a bunch really poorly and gave it a bad name. I don't see an issue with the ones I've used.

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Hate gives some folks focus. Then they can use the farce better.

For every 1 person who hates 10/63s, there's 20 guys who will

swear by them.

Perhaps if the folks who got the bad 10/63s had their eyes open

when they bought them, they wouldn't have wound up with the

bumper crop of problems they ended up saddled with.

10. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

WASR 10's are the DPMS Oricale of the AK world. Not bad guns, but there is better to be had for about the same price.

*enter generic answer here*
    Look at M70AB2's or OPAP's.

11. hq357

hq357 New Member

So is it as accurate as an arsenal? And if not can you buy new parts and upgrade it to make it just as good?

12. JayCody

JayCody New Member

One of the downsides of the Ak platform is that some parts can't be replaced easily, the barrel would be hard to replace at home but a gunsmith could do it. Also the AK is not the most accurate design but what it lacks in accuracy it makes up for in reliability.

13. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

Totally agree about the parroting. Happens to the Bushmaster Ar all the time and from experience with it and others I can say that the Bushmaster out performs others in its class.

That being said I looked at a Wasr and the receiver just seemed a little thin and not as sturdy as some others. Plus they wanted 900 for it at the gun shop and I wound up getting one from a member here who has a website for much cheaper and like it a lot better. It all comes down to what you want it for and how much you want to spend.

14. EMR76

EMR76 New Member

Wow - yeah, $900 is steep for a WASR. Got mine for $600 a while back. FOr 900 may as well get an Arsenal.