why do some men only buy and shoot 22's

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by dmh737, Mar 12, 2012.

1. dmh737

dmh737 New Member

I see the thread was closed. As to the last post, there was alot of useful info on the thread. As a newcomer researching as to what will be his first gun, this thread provided me with alot of useful info into the mindset of "why a 22?"
    Thanks to the OP for the thread. It provided alot of useful info.

Dave

2. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

I think it was a decent thread unfortunately started by a tiny peewee guy that's hung like a fly.

I have more 22lr's than any big boar and I drive a compact car.

22lr, the most fun you can have with cloths on.

3. CourtJester

CourtJester Active Member

Exactly what he said except I don't know what thread y'all are referring to and I have a diesel pick up truck. The rest is a dead match though.

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

If someone has a problem with a grown man shooting rimfires,then they probably have more issues deeper within that they need to have professionally looked at.

I think I have close to a dozen 22lr and 22WMR rifles and handguns,and enjoy shooting them as much as any of my centerfire weapons.

5. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I shot a ocean spray juice bottle and a gallon jug, both plastic and full of water, at 150 yards. Ammo was a federal 36 grain HP. It penetrated both and was never recovered. This surprised me, and it demonstrates how much power a 22 has.

6. cbibb

cbibb New Member

RIMFIRE the best caliber to hone and perfect proper and good shooting skills I shoot allot of 22 in 3p,bench rest,sporter also use air rifle for 3p and sporter love the rimfire military uses allot of 22 for training and air rifle check out the cmp and nra championships and allot of those guys also shoot high power at 1000k and those guys will tell you rimfire help make them the shooter they are today I have 4h kids that shoot rimfire all the time then we have them shoot vintage military guns and ar-15 in matches and out do some of the older shooters cause they use the same skills as they did while shooting rimfire going from 100 to 300 yds with the center fire some kids weigh less than 100lbs and are shooting 8mm mausers and 3006 spring field with steel but plate but they still shoot 22 I wouldn't call them wimps just dedicated marksmen.

7. sbitter

sbitter New Member

And I love shooting my 22 cause its so dang cheap to shoot. And they are really just good cheap fun. Can't shoot all the pistols and rifles all the time cause they cost to much to shoot. Well for me atleast cause I'm still young and have little money to spend in my gun area

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

How much holdover did you need for that shot?

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

When my boys and I go out shooting we always shoot more .22lr then anything else. Great practice and fun. Trigger time is always good. .22 shows what issues the shooter is having very quickly.

10. primer1

Can't tell you in inches. Gun is marlin bolt, with a 4 power tasco in high rings I put on used probably 25 years ago as a kid. I had someone spotting for me, and found out that where the thin and thick crosshairs meet is dead on at 150 yards, using 36 gr federal HP. I think my zero is 50 yards, I need to recheck. Using a homemade steel Target, I was getting 6 inch groups at 150 yds. A trigger job would probably help, along with better ammo, but I'm almost afraid to change anything. I don't wanna jinx my setup!

11. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Its odd you should mention the power of a .22, the .22LR is more than twice as fast & has more ft. lbs. of energy than a .38 Long Colt.........odd huh.

12. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Great shooting!

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Its wasnt at a great distance, 35 yards but we were still gettiing a 3" groups out of my AR .22 conversion with a 1:7 twist .223 barrel . Sure is fun to plink with it and keep up on practicing with it and it doesnt cost a small fortune to shoot it either. It makes my gun dirty but I can shoot 500 rnds for about $14 and I would rather spend 20 min cleaning it all up than $100 on 500 rds of .223

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  14. primer1

I sold a h&r top break revolver in 38sw short to a friend at work. He said he wanted it to shoot holes in a steel drum for burning trash. He wasn't impressed when they bounced off... But a .22 will ventilate it no problem.

15. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

I use to have a friend who had only .22 handguns. i told him i was getting a new .45 and he just looked at me with a weird face and said why? uhh because i carry a handgun every day and i wanna put bigger holes in the unfortunate scum bag who tries to take my life! I do carry a little naa mini revolver on my ankle though. :D

16. kansas45

kansas45 Member

I've been shooting my .22's out to 200yds for a few years. My Savage TR, using CCI MiniMag HP ammo will require 27 minutes to get there, depending on weather conditions. The Savage FV & Winchester sub sonic ammo needs 31 inches of come up. Both rifles have 20 MOA rails & Sight Mark 4-16x44 scopes.

17. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

.22's are simply enjoyable to shoot. No loud banging going on. Many .22 today will out shoot guys centerfire rifles at 100 yards. Nothing more fun than knowing your gun and ask a guy when he is about done if you can shoot 5 rounds down on his 100 yard target then wait for him to get it. Better ammo can shoot well inside an 1" at 100 yards with many bolt rifles and some autos. My regular ammo is wolf / sk match and useing a 50 yard zero 100 yards is right at 7.25" low and 200 is about 54' low.

kansas45 what is your zero, 125 yards.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  18. Misfire

Misfire New Member

Depends on what you have guns for. If all you do is target shooting and plinking, and you just enjoy the act of shooting a gun, a 22 is perfect. My Browning Buck Mark is by far the most accurate handgun I own, at any range handguns are normally used at. And I can shoot for a long time on a $20 bill. If you hunt anything but small varmints, or use guns for self defense, a 22 falls short. But for general sport shooting, it's everything you need. I probably shoot more 22 than everything else put together.

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i can't understand why anyone would ever not want to own a couple or several 22's. many are very accurate, inexpensive to buy and shoot, and with a little care and attention, will last for many years. i own a few, and they are just downright fun to shoot. great firearms to practice with, great for beginners to learn on. personally, i don't think anyones collection of shooting or hunting firearms is complete unless you have at least one 22 firearm!

20. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

I really like the rim fire format, the 22 in particular. Not exclusively, but enough to shoot more rounds of 22 LR than anything else by far.

With 22 LR, I can shoot most of the day for $20 that buys me 550 rounds, whereas with some center fire ammo, that same amount only gets me 20 rounds.

rimfirecentral.com even has a full forum dedicated to the rim firm subject, but like all forums, there's other stuff there too.