Why do people make post VS's anything ?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Junior966, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Junior966

Junior966 New Member

Guns are like cars. There's a make and model for everyone and everyone is going to have there favorite. I've owed close to 30 handguns from 22's to 44 mags. and enjoyed them all. Colt gov. Issue .45 was the first semi I owned Plus the combat comander and Delta elite 10mm. All great shooting guns but I can't count the ding holes in my ceiling from spring cap getting away. Sigs are my personal favorite. They fit great in my hand. Best shooting gun out the box I've owned. Never had a single jam and are super easy to field strip and clean. I'very owned the 226 228 229 and the 220. I've also owned Glock 17 and 19's. Berretta 92f and 96 and the list goes on. I've also dated tall , short , fat and thin women. Point being why trash talk any brand ? Just look at your gun like your women/man and car. Theres a size , shape and fit for everyone. Stop being haters....

2. Moparkid13

Moparkid13 New Member

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Hi Junior966,

Welcome to the FTF.

I'd rather think of it as "preferrers" than haters.

While I have to agree it's a little trite, sometimes the comparisons

are enlightening, if people stay focused and objective.

I have my personal preferences, and earned experience on the way to finding

them. I feel I'll have a lot more constructive time and money to spend

if I can learn from the experiences and mistakes of others.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Junior, welcome to the forum- and Happy New Year to ya. When you get a minute, drop by the intro thread and say howdy.

Yours is a point well taken- otherwise my firearms storage would need to be big enough for one rifle, one shotgun, and one handgun. The ice cream shop would have one flavor, and the menu at Waffle House would say "Breakfast". (and for the ladies, that aisle in the drug store would have ONE bottle that said "hair color".) :p

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree with wolf, that it's not about really hating one and loving another, but personal preference. i prefer the SA XDm over the Glock and the 1911 45 over both of them but like the others too. i prefer S-W revolvers over Ruger or Colts, but wouldn't hesitate to buy any of the others as well. i like Remington M700 rifles, but have bought several Marlin X7's over the past two years, but just added another M700 in 270, because the price was right. i'll buy any firearm i like if i get a good deal on it. i like many different types and calibers and for different reasons. i am a shooter, reloader and collector, so my collection of firearms is varied. and you will find many like me on this forum. i don't limit my choices to a type of firearm or brand, just as sometimes i like vanilla ice cream, but some times i eat chocolate too!

6. fmj

fmj New Member

MAN! I WISHED there was a be all, end all make/caliber! It sure would make my life a lot easier (if boring) and less expensive!

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Sometimes people are looking to start a fight sometimes people are just looking for opinions

8. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

But then nobody would have anything to talk about. ;)

9. Junior966

Junior966 New Member

I'm all about opinions and questions. Perfect example , Sigs are my brand of choice and the P220 is my weapon of choice for the range and home defense. For the range I also prefered shooting swc's on paper just for the nice clean holes it made. My Colts will feed swc's all day but my Sig doesn't like them at all. I could probably get ramp work done but having to shoot ball or hollow points isn't a deal breaker or make me trash a Sig over it but at the same time if someone asked they were looking for a 45 to shoot swc's on paper a Sig wouldn't be on that list.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  10. Junior966

Junior966 New Member

Ohhh and axxe55 I agree on your choice of revolvers. My first was a Ruger GP 100 .357. Nice weapon and shot fine but after shooting a S@W 686 I traded the Ruger for one. I like the 6in stainless steel and the full lug barrel , perfect weight and balance and over all feel for me. Needless to say when I got my .44 I went with the 629 classic.Being a left hander when it comes to long guns I'm a little limited by choice. For the range shooting all day at paper I like Stag Arms 6L Varminter. Great shooting weapon and cheap to shoot. When it comes to hunting and bolt action riffles I've only ever shot the Remington 700...The .270 win for deer and the .300win mag for large. I do hear Savage makes a nice bolt action and in left hand and I hope to be able to shoot one some day but I don't have the kind of money to just buy blind to See how I like it. NJ is a big enough P.I.T.A. It took me 6 weeks to get my I'D card 25 yrs ago and right now I'm still waiting after 5 weeks for my new card just for a change of address which never took more then a day to get...I won't even get into the laws for pistol permits.

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Junior, I agree. I don't like some brands, but I have respect for them and their followers.

But to hate a firearm or brand? No.

I just don't purchase them.

12. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

My Glock and Dan wesson <2 guns that dont command much respect > thank you OP for this post, :cool:

13. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Any gun can be the best gun you have or the worst at any given time. It depends on the situation you find yourself in. If you find yourself in a contact-distance fight for your life against a humanoid perp, a .500 magnum BFR with a 10-inch barrel may be the least desirable handgun to be carrying, and a snubnosed .38 might be much more desirable. But if you are hiking in the woods, you may prefer the BFR over the .38 snubbie if you spot a bear stalking you. Also, there are many handguns costing $1500 to over $3000 that are nice to have as BBQ guns, but don't shoot any straighter than many guns costing less than $500.

14. willshoum

willshoum New Member

One size fits all...........

My new years resolution want let me comment, Happy new year fTf members,.........:)

15. Axxe55

junior if you want a good lefty gun and the savage fits you, give it a shot, because the savage's are very accurate and shoot well. i like the marlins over the savage's, but my reasoning is from fit, not brand or performance, as i have shot the savage's and own one right now. the marlins and the remintons fit me better when i shoulder them. i also like the ruger M77 and the winchester M70, both which are very nice rifles. if everyone liked the same color and same item, it would be a boring world. another point i will add is, sometimes people can only afford so much to get a rifle or pistol, so they want a universal and do all firearm, and there isn't anything wrong with that. i am lucky to have many at my collection and plan on adding more, some in the find are a winchester M94 in 32 win. spec., a single shot 45-70 sharps type rifle, a 30-30 lever action marlin, a remington M700 in 300 win. mag., an M1 carbine, a SA M1A, ect. ect...the list grows and changes all the time. the other day i went searching for a 30-30 in a marlin or winchester, came home with a remington M700 in 270, because of the price!

16. Junior966

Junior966 New Member

Marlin lever action in a .35 Whelen was the first firearm I ever owned. At 18 and it being the first riffle I ever fired it was nothing like the westerns on tv where nothing has recoil. I still have a scare from the scope . I was a local L.E.O so Remington was the only bolt action I ever had experiance with. Knowing it was the choice of most Police and Military snipers it seemed a safe choice when making my first purchase. Read a lot of good things about the newer savages and the're accuse trigger n stocks. Actually I've never read anything bad about the Savages.

17. Axxe55

junior, savage builds very good firearms, thats a fact. just from my personal preference, i like remington and marlins new bolt actions better. but have shot many savages over the years, and can find nothing wrong with them, performance wise. being a lefty, sometimes puts you at a disadvantage when choosing firearms, and that is a shame as it somewhat limits your options as to adapting yourself to a firearm or living with what ever is available lefthanded.

18. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

For someone just starting out a Savage can be great. I started my daughter on one ( Savage model 64 ) that was at "Dunams Sporting Goods" for $99.00 and that included a 4X scope. Then I got a 15% military discount so even with the Indiana 7% sales tax I could carry it out of the store with Ammo for a picture of Ben!

Is it a great weapon - - - I have been quite successful squirl hunting with it and we have loved it at the range. Would I like to go bear hunting with it? Not even close! But I don't want to pay the cost of ammo to put several hundred rounds on the range thru a Springfield M1A

I don't drive my Tri Axel dump truck to the grocery and I don't haul gravel in the trunk of my car.

19. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Well, I may highly recommend a particular brand with I have & like and may express my dissappointment with another brand, but I wouldn't say I "hate" any of them. Why, my wife even has a Raven .25ACP that most folks run down, but it's never given us a problem.

Now, that don't mean that I won't have fun with a g***k owner once in a while.;)

20. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I personally LOVE those threads with gunX vs. gunY ...or... caliberA vs. caliberB. I've actually found that FTF isn't a forum that has many of those, though.

People can be haters and knuckleheads on any thread and often are.