Why do people hunt coyotes? can you eat them?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Hdq, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Hdq

Hdq New Member

I look at my dog and wonder how can somone hunt an animal from the k9 family?? I get a little angry and think coyote hunters are *******s domesticated or not dogs are very loyal. mans best friend they never argue never complain and are incredibly smart they can detect bombs , drugs guide blind people relive stress they are very usefull animals theyre not stupid like a hog or useless like a deer all they are good for is eating but it gets me angry when I hear a coyote squeling exactly like a dog in the forest after its been shot as of now I think coyote hunters are *******s why do they do it? Maybe I wouldnt feel so angry if I knew why people hunt them and I was more educated on the subject. are they used for meat? Are they worth money? Or are coyote hunters just plain a holes? Lol please tell me why and please dont be rude :)

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Coyotes can be very dangerous to children and livestock. They can carry diseases and become overpopulated like any other animal. They can be eaten. They make great hats.

3. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I shoot the bastages because they killed all of my chickens. They are not native to my area. (I think they came from Texas) They disrupt the natural life cycle of other native animals. Maybe when Texas secedes they will go back home and I can save my ammo.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

While coyotes may share a genus with domesticated dogs, they are still very different animals.

Coyotes are livestock killers. They kill sheep, chickens, small pets, and packs will kill young cattle during calving season. They also are nuisance to hunters., as they kill many game species as well. Yes, I know about the "Disney" circle of life, but these animals out compete a lot of others. They will reduce deer populations for generations if the coyote populations get out of control. In places where hunting coyotes has been restricted. populations soar, and game populations suffer, then the packs get a bit more aggressive and target livestock and pets more. Also once their populations get too large, they tend to spread disease among themselves, and other animals. Mange, fleas, bubonic plague, rabies, and other diseases can be spread to pets that try defending homes.

If you love your dog, you might learn to dislike coyotes.

They are indeed smart. They learn to recognize traps, calls, and other methods for hunting. They will kill off Foxes, bobcats and other predators that compete for food. Coyotes used to be a problem in the western US, while foxes and wolves were problems further east. Now their range as pretty much the whole continental US. The fact that they are smart, at least gives hunters a challenge, and improves a hunter or trappers skill, so they do serve a training purpose througouth teh rest of the year when game animals are not in season. By thinning the coyote population, hunters also improve the population of game animals. Turkeys, Geese, Deer, Dall Sheep, Antelope, all are prey animals that the coyotes can endager.

Edit to add: And I have dogs, and love them too. I hate coyotes though.
    Cats I only like stir fried or roasted on a stick.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  5. Highhawk8

Highhawk8 New Member

I shoot them every chance I get. They have taken my neighbors flock of chickens, killed cats and dogs in our area and can threaten the goat herds around here. They have not bothered my horses or cows. When I take my Golden Retriever out at night I always take my .45 in case she is attacked. I find tracks all of the time in the lane leading back to our place but they are hard to catch in the open. Not native to Florida and are about to create serious problems I understand in the urban areas. You must not have any problems with them on your place. Check with the local ranchers and farmers, I am sure they have problems.

6. clem_

clem_ New Member

Because when I get enough skins I going to send it to get taned and made into a blanket - I rather have a wolf blanket but I settle for coyotes for now.

7. towboater

towboater Active Member

@hdq. so are coyote hunters still ****. *****?????

8. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

Well to be fair humans are in places the have not always been in. But we take it on are selves to automatically think we have the right to the land. When wild animals lived in most places before we did. but I would admit if I lived on a farm with live stock I would prolly shoot them also to defend what's mine. And as Long as they use the animal and don't let it go to waste I don't see to much of a problem with it.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Because they are an invasive predator that destroys wildlife native to an area (areas where coyotes are NOT native) and will totally destroy a bird population. They are aggressive, will destroy your livestock. If you live in the suburbs of Denver they will cruise housing developments at night seeking pets (they don't seem to have a familial bond with dogs, and eat them).

When living in Colorado, was one of the few animals I would not pass up a shot on. If they show up here in my part of VA, I have night vision gear.

The "feel good" folks in Colorado did an end run around the game commission, and amended the state constitution to outlaw trapping of wildlife. A year later, they were screaming because that rangy old 'yote had snatched Fluffy out of the back yard. There were demands that the game commission "DO something".

Head of the Game Commission (bless his heart, he was getting ready to retire) went on TV, and said "We would love to DO something. But you good folks outlawed the only effective way of dealing with these predators. You're on your own."

Real life bears no resemblance to Wile E. and the Roadrunner.

10. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

coyotes are overpopulated badly in my area and there are quite a lot of people who hunt them, and yes they can be worth a little money for their fur. If there is snow at deer season we can easily see the woods loaded with coyote tracks and no deer tracks in areas where before there were tons of deer, now only yotes, no rabbits either. When we do find deer sign, it is common to follow a track for a short distance then find a coyote track get on the deer tracks and follow them. Coyotes are hunted with hound dogs or by one or 2 hunters working together with a call such as rabbit in distress or a electronic caller which will draw in the animal for a shot. I have heard coyotes in the woods all I have to do is stick my head out the window most any night of the week at my home, however I am curious to know how you hear coyotes squealing like dogs after they have been shot, do you have a lot of hunters in your back yard? Coyotes yip and squeal naturally as that is the sound they make, it doesn't mean they have been shot. Coyote hunting is very challenging and yes they are smart, one of the harder animals to trap, no need to feel sorry for coyotes, they breed like rabbits around here, shoot 1 and 3 more show up. The biggest and most important reason I hunt them, BECAUSE I CAN!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  11. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

and if you want to eat them how hungrey are you?just go for well done to kill the worms.

12. bostonscottkelly

bostonscottkelly New Member

I live in Massachusetts....coyotes are a problem
    because they hunt in packs & will attack dogs & children....also, they have no natural predators out here so they are becoming overpopulated.....nasty animals

13. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Chainfire,I'm sure coyotes are very much "native" to where you live.Their native range is from Central America to Northern Canada.

Coyotes are the cockroaches of the canine world.They can live just about anywhere,and adapt to populated area's very easily.
    They raise havoc on livestock,small animals,pets.In some area's there is still a bounty on them.

We shoot any that we see-I got this one at around 300 yards with a 25/06.It just couldn't run fast enough.

[​IMG]

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

That's pretty brutal man. Bad death.

15. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

They are just dogs, no more or less dangerous than any other K-9 allowed to run wild..............

16. triggerjob

triggerjob New Member

A coyote jumped my fence and grabbed "Fruffy" my toy poodle, and jumped back over the fence while i was watching, i've been scared for life.

Incidently, i shot one in AZ, at about 200 yards with my M1, i was loaded with .223 accelators. Which is a 30-06, shell with a .223 saboted projectile. Wow, serious pink mist talk about hydroshock i didn4 get a picture, but it looked similiar to the other shot coyote, except where the middle of the coyote normally is there was just a widening streak of red chunky slush. So much for the hide.

17. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I hear them almost nightly around my house, but have only seen them several times. A racoon got into a rabbit nest earlier this year, and two of them came up and killed the racoon, tore its throat and crotch out. There were two 4 foot circles with blood sprayed about a foot high, one around the rabbit nest and one where the coon ended up.This was about 15 feet from my grandmas house, which is next door to me. Way too close. I'll kill one any chance I'll get. I'm dreaming of a suppressed AR with a night vision scope. Dear Santa:

18. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Why do I hunt coyotes? The simple answer is because I care about the farmers who let me use thier land. I have acess to 3 farms in my area, 2 of them are dairy farms, all three have horses, pets, and children. I have seen a pack of coyotes bring down a foal in the back pasture on one of these farms. I witnessesed another pack tearing apart a newborn calf at another farm. I frequently walk through the woods with my daughter, or one or two of my neices and nephews, or my dog. Every time I do, I am armed. All of the farms I frequent, and the property I rent and live on, have had problems with coyotes. Each place has a standing rule: If you see a coyote and can get a safe shot, drop it where you see it. More than one, take out as many as you can. They go after livestock, pets and sometimes people. They carry and spread diseases. They are invasive vermin whose population must be controled. IN three years at one dairy farm that I hunt on, they have lost 4 dogs, countless cats, 6 calves, 5 foals, and 13 goats. Bear in mind that when they lose a goat or a cow they are not just losing meat, they are also losing the money from the milk and the products that are made from it during the lifetime of the animal, and the money that has to be spent to replace that animal and it's subsiquent offspring. Not a cheap proposition in an industry where running in the black is not a common thing.

As far as eating them. Not something I have ever tried, but in my first edition of The Joy of Cooking there is a recipe for coyote or fox fondue. I'm not to big on fondue, but in a survival situation...........

Meat is meat. I do hope this shows that we are not azzholes. We do have our reasons for hunting them, and it is appreciated by farmers and ranchers. Kudos to those who posted their reasons before me. You didn't leave me much to add. Good work guys.:)

19. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

You don't kill them they will kill your animals be in livestock or even pets. Damn things breed like rabbits it seems (been known to kill them too!). Sure I guess you can eat them but I have no desire. Same for crows but they get the lead too.

It's not the easiest to hunt coyotes. The are a predator after all. I have a friend that saves pelts. I just make them fall over though. He can have the remains..

Why do you think there are varmint guns? Because varmints need a dose of the lead to keep them away from your animals.

20. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

So you call coyote hunters names but you don't want anyone to be rude to you. :rolleyes: