Firearms Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
361 - 380 of 395 Posts
I just wish people would become proficient with calibers suited to where they live. I would have no use for a .338 LM. But I am still looking for a nice 9.3x62. Even my lowly 9.3x57 was plenty of energy for Elk at 500 yards, but it would be better shooting skittles, both could make a rainbow. I use that rifle at a max of 150 yards with open express sights. A 9.3x62 would be better. It will take anything in the Northern hemisphere and is good to go for dangerous game in Africa. This is the reason I don't have one yet. I can take anything in the lower 48 with the 9.3x57. It is also the most widely use guide caliber in Africa. That 286gr .366 bullet is pretty devastating. Think about it, with a MV of 2100 fps it still has over 1500 fpe at 500 yards. 100 yards is about 2300fpe for a low pressure round in a 6lb rifle that was invented in 1903. There is no real recoil to speak of.

I need some popcorn and a cola!!!!!!
no need. because it's not going to last very long before one of the Mods comes along and bounces this guy off the forum. i seriously doubt he's going to be around long enough for popcorn!

I shoot with my 408 CheyTac when serious but for you I can shoot my 6.5 Creedmoor or .338 Lapua. The CheyTac is not for everyone since you really need to load your own, or in your case roll your own. Interested? What say a friendly comp @ 2500 yards?
I’d really love to but I’m going to aromatherapy school on weekends until June.

Why do people buy big loud motorcycles or trucks.......or super fast cars or bikes?
Because they want them and have the money.
Magnum rifles are fun.........at least when younger LOL.
Many entertain the idea of "long range" shooting.
And some will buy the rifle........maybe never really testing it at long range.

Who gives a flip?

I know people that bought big elk and bear and even safari rifles.............that due to various reasons, were never taken on such hunts.

Is there no enjoyment in dreaming?

Can't folks just have fun even if it makes no sense to you?

Safe and legal.................then quit worrying about it.

Damn. Over half the people I've seen at ranges over the years.........have shot like chit.
Did I tell them it was a waste of their time and money, that they should sell all their stuff and play golf?

Even if they did..........they'd prolysuck at golf too.
A lot of people do.

And.......... a lot of them have fun even if their scores are crap.

Buddy and I used to do .44 magnum Fridays at local indoor range.
Hot 180 loads. Flash and roar.
Indoors it's pretty brutal.
Why do that?
It's horrible, the shock on chest/face......the roar.........the flash.
Rattled the windows.
And made everybody look.

Shot nice groups.

With lots of people watching (gets attention of those in lobby).

Made for a fun lunch.........stupid smiles on our faces rest of day.
And nerve wracking indoor shooting makes a peaceful Saturday outdoor range session a piece of cake.

I'm sure the casual observer on our boom fests was "WTF?"

You'd shoot the first couple and feel the sweat rivulets run from your pits run over your ribs. The effect of the recoil/blast.........plus knowing here come's the audience.

Bear down and shoot good, lest you look like some moron.........and have folks post silly things about what a tard you are for owning such a boomer ;)

Maybe I misunderstood your post, but I could never enjoy ruining other shooter's time at the range by shooting weapons indoors that rattled the windows. I've owned, and shot, .44 magnums for 40 years, but I wouldn't shoot them indoors just for the purpose of getting in someone's face.

Shooting on a range with other people present should involve some consideration for those other shooters. Everyone on the range should be able to enbjoy a pleasant experience.

Sometimes it's fun to be a little impractical.
If you want it and can afford it..........why not?

Want to burn a ton of money, have stress.......and have nothing to show for it?
Get married, have kids.

Human condition is to want what one doesn't have.
Single guys with neat cars, homes, guns..........want a wife and kids.

Guys with families working their asses off to make ends meet...........wish they had toys.

No big deal, is what it is.

Lunchtime indoors........we'd be the only one's on the range.
But we drew a crowd from the lobby.
We were considerate, and paid members of said range.

After work the range would get busy. That's why we'd go at noon. And there's this thing called a phone.........we'd call ahead and check.

Silly I know.

Lunchtime indoors........we'd be the only one's on the range.
But we drew a crowd from the lobby.
We were considerate, and paid members of said range.

After work the range would get busy. That's why we'd go at noon. And there's this thing called a phone.........we'd call ahead and check.

Silly I know.
Okay, I have no problem with that. At least you're showing consideration for other shooters.

Shooting public has changed (not for the better).
Gave up indoor range due to safety concerns.

Joined private outdoor club.

I'm so old school, when I shot indoors...........I'd wait for a lull in the action to enter or leave, so as to not make it loud (by door opening) for those out in the lobby.

NOBODY does that these days.

Just an observation.

Stupid bastards.

Shooting public has changed.
Gave up indoor range due to safety concerns.
Sorry to hear that. The indoor range that I use is managed by county rec. dept. and safety is strictly enforced.

Shooting from the holster is allowed, and any paper target is allowed, but the RSOs keep a close eye on everything.

We had a fun .22 league for a while (way back).
Some remember it.
So guys wanted to start another, blocked range time maybe (so no boomer affect).
Open to whoever signed up.

Uh, no.

People scare me these days. Friggin self centered, stupid and dangerous.

Hell, one of the good guys passed last weekend.

Know what that means?

Three morons bought guns to replace him.

Discussion starter · #380 ·
I think about 2/3's of the people that have committed on this thread failed to read or understand what I was ranting about.
5 years ago,the 338 Lapua Magnum was all the rage. I personally like the cartridge,and have shot several of them long range.
This thread is about the two Tactical Timmy's that I observed at a local range - 100 yard's. They were not only endangering themselves,but everyone else on the firing line. They were shooting handloads that were WAY over pressured,to the point they had to use cleaning rods to knock the case's out of their weapons.
I actually looked at some of the brass they had fired,Cratered primers - Ejector marks - Bent rims from the extractor.

I could care less about what firearm anybody buy's,hell,I had a bolt action 50 BMG back in the 1990's and loved to shoot it. But,I didn't take it down and blast away with it at a 100 yard public range.
My point was that these two shooter's didn't know how to safely reload ammo,and took a chance shooting it. They wouldn't listen to guy's advise that have many years of experience.

In my eye's,they were Idiot's with firearm's.

361 - 380 of 395 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.