Firearms Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
341 - 360 of 395 Posts
there is always going to a couple of troublemakers in every crowd. just part of the territory that goes along when multiple opinions are being tossed around and someone gets their feelings hurt.

i'm pretty sure they make salve for it though. :p
Yeah, it's called Vasolene. :D

Courtjester-do you have respect for peta, or what they're supposed to be/stand for? I have absolutely 0 respect for the idiots ever since Bernheim forest had WAYYYYYY too many whitetails for the land's carrying capacity. They were going to hold a strictly, tightly controlled hunt, and the peta idiots got it shut down. Afterwards I got invited to Bernheim forest by a buddy that was a park ranger/biologist while he, among a group were walking through the park putting deer down out of their misery that was starved to near death & lacked the strength to even attempt to get up & run. They had a couple teams emptying the stomach contents & documenting the deer's physical condition (whatever you call autopsy for animals), and they had dry leaves & other non edible, no food value things in their stomachs. Several thousand deer either starved to death slowly, or had to be put down. I never even saw 1 single peta person there to help, or volunteer their time and/or money to buy feed to help the deer! They got the hunt stopped (regardless of how bad it was needed), and felt good about themselves by saving all the poor deer from being quickly, painlessly dispatched, and that was the ONLY thing they did, worse than no "help" whatsoever!

PETA is a joke and a political group. they do a lot of talking and protesting, but never put their money or actions behind actually saving anything.

hunters and hunting conservation groups actually do more good at wildlife management than any other so-called animal rights activist group has ever done.

i believe that hunting when done responsibly and ethically, helps the management and conservation of game animals.

&^%$ PETA and their members! :mad:

I actually have a lot of respect for PETA
Why is it that you have so much respect for PETA?
Is it their extremist dogma, their hypocritical and slovenly
pitiful treatment of animals under their own control, or their
total lack of any substantial accomplishments whatsoever?

You want "ethical" treatment of animals, try this. Every time I kill
an animal, I put it down quickly and humanely. Furthermore, every
time I pull a trigger, it ensures the survival of dozens of species in
that habitat, INCLUDING the one I'm hunting. Conservation,
pollination, and habitat preservation are a year-round occupation.

It's easy to act concerned, be philosophical, whine about "ethical
treatment of animals". It's totally another to be committed to
preservation of an outdoors environment which will assure
thriving wildlife long after you are gone. PETA is a bunch of gas filled
windbags who say all the right(?) things, act sanctimonious, then do absolutely nothing.

I really just wanted to see what the replies would be. I don't actually have a lick of respect for PETA or what their end goal is. I personally wouldn't let them put clickers on a big wheel. They tend to cause more harm than they do good, but it's fun to tell people you like them in some settings and see the look on their face and/or hear their response.

CJ, thank you for not letting that go on too long. Posting lies to provoke negative responses is heading towards troll status.

well, some of those outer radical fringe groups, that are ran by bleeding heart liberals, may have at one time, or maybe in the very beginning, might have had good intentions. but many of them have evolved in more about political correctness than actually doing real good. many of them do a lot of talking, and protesting, but either have no idea of any actual positive changes, or ideas to the cause they are supposedly supporting. PETA is one very good example of this.

i still support the Humane Society, and have for many years. they actually do some good, and put their money where their mouth is, in saving animal for abuse and cruel treatment. are they perfect? nope, but neither is the NRA and i still stand by them and support them as well. no large organization is perfect, and has their faults and bad members. just a fact of life and one needs to look at the bigger picture and realize such things.

CJ, thank you for not letting that go on too long. Posting lies to provoke negative responses is heading towards troll status.
It's clearly a large and highly conservative group of people here. I can't imagine anyone the was a PETA supporter would last very long with any of their views anywhere on this site.
It's not quite like yelling "FIRE" in a crowded movie theater, but it's not too far from it either I guess.

Apologies for possibly causing anyone to reach for their blood pressure meds.

Actually the national Humane Society is a ripoff and contributes absolutely NOTHING towards local Humane Society chapters! They in no way, shape, or form do anything good in assisting local chapters. I DO fully support the local chapters as much as possible however! But, just for that, when you make it down to visit & gunwork, there will be a 2 beer fine to be payable upon the completion of shooting & driving, and at the start of the grilling/beer drinking portion of your visit!

It was probably people with the PETA attitude that stopped hunting in the Kaibab Forests of Arizona in Teddy Roosevelt' time, from what I've read some of the trees still show the result of that fiasco, the deer ate as high as they could reach which basically took out the lower branches, I believe TR rescinded that hunting restriction, but the damage to the deer population had already been done.

It's clearly a large and highly conservative group of people here. I can't imagine anyone the was a PETA supporter would last very long with any of their views anywhere on this site.
It's not quite like yelling "FIRE" in a crowded movie theater, but it's not too far from it either I guess.

Apologies for possibly causing anyone to reach for their blood pressure meds.
No apology needed. My preferred blood pressure med is Guinness...

I highly doubt such behavior is representative of .338 Lapua shooters.

The point is, a rifle that will hold one MOA at 1,000 meters should hold 0.1 MOA at 100 meters, or basically 1/10th inch groups.

One does not "need" to shoot at 1,000 meters to have a "representative example" of how their gun will shot.

No, you're wrong! You speak of 1 moa. That means 1 moa regardless of distance. Just barely over 1" is 1 MOA at 100 yards. 1 moa at 1,000 yards is barely over 10". Now if you had said 1 inch, and not 1 moa, you would have been correct. I've never seen a rifle that will group 1" at 1,000 yards. At long distance, a LOT more factors come into play, AND some bullets haven't "went to sleep" yet at 100 yards. That means a rifle that groups 1" at 100 yards, but the bullet hasn't went to sleep yet, could produce 1" groups at 200 yards. It's impossible to actually get smaller groups by physical size (inch measurement) at 200 yards than 100 yards however.

I highly doubt such behavior is representative of .338 Lapua shooters.

The point is, a rifle that will hold one MOA at 1,000 meters should hold 0.1 MOA at 100 meters, or basically 1/10th inch groups.

One does not "need" to shoot at 1,000 meters to have a "representative example" of how their gun will shot.

341 - 360 of 395 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.