Why do I shoot revolvers so much better than regular semi autos?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by beastmode986, Feb 9, 2014.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I was at the the range yesterday and my dad was renting a few guns he wanted to consider buying. I shot a Smith and Wesson m&p9, sig p226, and a Beretta 92fs. Out of those 3 I shot best with the 92fs but still wasn't very accurate. I hit probably 5/10 (sometimes more or less) shots most of the time shooting at steel targets 25ft away. Keep in mind I think im a pretty decent shot with a rifle(100 yards with iron sights isn't too difficult for me) Anyway we went in and shot a smith and wesson 686 in 357 mag and every time I got 6/7 shots at least but usually 7/7 and I was shooting 35ft and 100 ft. I hit a 12 inch target 7 times in a row! So why is it I shoot revolvers alot better than regular semi autos? I do think I need to work on my handgun shooting in general though.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

How are you shooting the revolver, single action?

How long is the barrel?

Trigger pull and sight radius can have a lot to do with it. Also some folks just slow down and pay attention more with a revolver or any "different" gun that they try.

Ammo could have some effect as well. Many reloads for autos, that ranges sell to be used in rentals, may not be the best.

Some folks just do better with wheel guns.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

How long was the barrel on the revolver?

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

some people can shoot revolvers better because they take more time shooting and concentrating on the their shots more than they do with a semi-auto pistol.

maybe the revolver fits your hand better than the semi-autos you have been shooting. the fit of the pistol to your hand has a lot to do with how well you shoot a pistol as well.

there may be many other reasons why you shoot them better too.

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you want a challenge, try a snub nosed .38 that is double action only.

6. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Most people shoot most revolvers more accurate than Semi autos.
    Semi auto have moving loose barrels and revolvers have fixed barrels.
    revolvers have a fixed frame semi auto a sliding frame.

if I have a meeting engagement in open terrain with a .357 mag Revolver vs someone with a semi auto of any caliber its not even a fair fight, they will be inside my effective engagement envelope long before I am in theirs

7. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

You either have a poorly designed, constructed, and/or maintained semi-auto pistol or you aren't really all that great at shooting. It's not a put-down, it's just an observation from watching hundreds of people shoot over the years. I don't drive one type of car better than others and I don't shoot one type of gun better than others.

It took me a long time to become proficient shooting pistols and revolvers and it's not like riding a bike. I was not noticeably more accurate with one operating mechanism or the other. I've yet to pick up a pistol or revolver that can't put all rounds in the cylinder or magazine into a playing card at 15 yards and I've had plenty of people hand me their pistols and revolvers after watching me shoot. I hand them whatever I'm shooting at the time and let them shoot it so they understand that there's no magic weapon out there that aims for you.

You either keep your sights on target while you squeeze the trigger or you don't. It really is that simple. You don't have to "hold it right", you don't have to "use the right stance", and you don't have to "have the right gun". Anyone who believes otherwise doesn't know anything about marksmanship fundamentals and you don't need to take any more instruction from them if they tell you that any of that BS will increase your accuracy because it won't. It may make follow-up shots faster, it may make absorbing the recoil and getting back on target faster or easier, or moving around easier or more comfortable, but it has nothing to do with marksmanship. So, a lighter SA trigger pull on a revolver may make that task easier, but it's still up to you to do just that and only that.

Blaming a certain type of mechanical device for what is largely a matter of how well you control it isn't going to make you a better shooter. Yes, some weapons are intrinsically more accurate than others, but all of them are remarkably accurate, even the cheaply made ones.

Best advice, shoot whatever semi-auto you intend to carry a lot more. It may be faster for some than others, but it took time for me and even after how everything worked became clear in my mind, it still took a lot of practice. All the books in the world describing marksmanship, no matter how well-explained, aren't equivalent to shooting whatever it is you intend to carry.

8. kbd512

Oh and one other thing, I've shot with enough different people to know that there's no rhyme or reason as to who is going to be a good marksman (apart from proper training and a lot of practice). I've shot alongside active SOF guys and teenage girls and I've seen teenage girls who were better marksmen than I and SOF guys who weren't as good a shot as I am on their best day. It doesn't mean that the SOF guys aren't excellent at what they do and they're certainly far better than I in many, many areas that contribute to marksmanship excellence (more physical training, more practice, etc).

I've noticed that the people who excel at marksmanship generally put in a good amount of practice and have had some sort of formal training. In the end, it's all up to you and has almost nothing to do with what you have in your hands.

9. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

6" barrel double and single action.
    It was probably because I was pulling of the target at the end of the pull with the other guns because of the longer harder trigger pull im not used to. I usually only shoot rifles, 1911's, or revolvers.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I think a DA revolver has a pretty darned long trigger pull. Longer than any semi-auto pistol I've shot.

11. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

True, but I was shooting in single action. Whats funny is I was still pretty accurate in double action.

12. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Many years ago, I had the priviledge of shooting in a Ft Bliss Rod & Gun Club's - IPSC - Event. They had a separate revolver class. I used a Colt Combat Elite and SW 686 w 6" - both had trigger jobs.

I also shot the revolver better than the auto. I had a Pachmyer stock on the SW at the time.

To be fair, I spent more time w the revolver then Elite before the event. The SW 686 has a full underlug which adds weight exactly where you need it for a quick second shot. You must adjust your grip so the barrel returns to battery the same way it started - every time.

My friend prefers SA revolvers - He believes it forces the shooter to take his time between shots. The platform forces you to slow down.

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

I think that's part of it right there. You're more used to the trigger type.

Also since it was a 6" barrel, the longer sight radius makes it easier to shoot accurately. Less work is required of the shooter.

_________

If this is the first time you've read this, up until now you think I typed this out in response to this thread. Well, the jokes on you. This is my signature line. Know it, embrace it, love it.

14. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Sorry your post doesnt make any sense.
    If someone makes errors in basic marksmanship they would apply equally to both systems..
    Unless. one of them is intrinsically easier to shoot accurate with, which we know to be true.

I shoot both semi-autos and revolver quite well.

it's quite obvious that revolvers are intrinsically more accurate and this is even with equal lenght barrells.
    Easier to point due to better weight distribution, fixed barrell no moving slide.

I thought any accomplished shooter was aware of this.

15. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

No evidence I have ever seen implies a revolver is inherently a more accurate platform than an auto.

If anything, I've heard more evidence the other way. Why do you think they number cylinders ? Locktime ? When you want to see the best tool for a given competition, just watch the Olympics...

16. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I bought my first revolver last month and shoot it considerably worse than I shoot my semis. Even in single action. IMO it is due to grip and a lack of practice. The SA trigger is great, and I still suck!

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

17. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

It takes time to warm up to a new platform, in general, there will always be exceptions. When I was a young revolvers ruled instead of todays "exception to the rule."

IMHO - easier to train people with but there are others who just won't be happy until they have a 1911...:D

18. kbd512

If you can drive a car, the controls aren't so different that you're riding around in a completely different machine when you're drive a truck. Of course the two aren't exactly the same, but anybody who says I can't believe how much better I drive this car than I drive this truck probably isn't a very good driver or that's not what they really meant. I drive a different car just about every week, but I don't have any problems driving my Silverado on the weekends even though the handling characteristics/size/control layout between a Silverado and Corolla are different.

:)

To what degree are revolvers intrinsically more accurate than semi-autos?

I would've thought that accomplished shooters wouldn't attribute their actions to their tools, but perhaps I was mistaken in that belief.

19. blackxpress

blackxpress New Member

A 6" 686 is one of the best shooting revolvers on the planet IMO, especially in SA mode. I used to deer hunt with a 6" 586 and I've never been able to shoot any handgun as accurately as I shot that gun. That doesn't mean I shoot revolvers better than semi-autos. It just means I shoot that particular revolver better than all the semi-autos I've tried so far, although I have come close with a couple of match grade 1911s. Point being, your sample size is too small. You compared one extremely nice revolver against 3 very nice semi-auto fighting pistols and concluded you shoot revolvers better than semi-autos. You need to do more research with a larger and more varied sample group before reaching that conclusion.

20. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Im no expert, most of you have much more pistol time under your belt. I just thought I would chime in about shooting my namesake Webley Fosbery 38. What it lacked in stopping power and reliability under less than wonderful conditions, it well overcame in beauty, smoothness, 8 shots not 6 and an entirely singular and special experience shooting her. Very accurate and very fast cycling with very little kick. It was mislabeled by its inventor as an automatic, it wasnt auto anything but auto cycling, one very light squeeze, one bullet pops out the end! Its been 35 years since me and my buddy took her out to pop telephone poles but i still remember how much fun it was to plink with her!