Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do cheap scopes lose their sighting when adjusting the magnification?

Does it cause them to pull one way or is it completely unpredictable?

If returned to the orginal position will they still be sighted?

I am on a very tight budget. How can one tell before buying how much of a problem this is?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Try focusing at the highest power, then backing it down. If it stays in focus, then it's good ("parfocal") ... it it falls out of focus (from high mag to low mag), it's poorly designed or defective.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
Nomadjcb said:
Why do cheap scopes lose their sighting when adjusting the magnification?

Does it cause them to pull one way or is it completely unpredictable?

If returned to the orginal position will they still be sighted?

I am on a very tight budget. How can one tell before buying how much of a problem this is?
The internals on cheap optics are very lackin to say the least, single erector systems are common so when u turn the power up the poi changes, but just becouse tight budget dosent mean you cant get lower cost good optics like a sightron, or vortex, nikon pro staff, bushnell, you can find good deals on not so junk scopes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I got my answer.

This is called shifting zero.

I think I just got my answer from a post by M14sRock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
802 Posts
I have changed the scopes on all my guns to CenterPoint 4-16x40mm, and just love them. Many, if not all, cheap scopes have plastic gears that strip out easily if not extremely careful.

Also, many cheap scopes can't handle the high recoil on high-powered rifles. It has the tendency to jar the reticles off center during the shot and shift the reticle tube against the spring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,825 Posts
99.999999% of the cost of a high-end scope is attributable to the quality of the optics and the precise methods used to grind, curve and polish the lenses. Can you guess where the cost cutting gets done in a low priced scope? The mass produced optics in a cheaper scope simply lack the precision needed to properly collect and focus the light. Aberrations on cheap optics are not unlike a human suffering from an astigmatism.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
22,665 Posts
Because cheap scopes are junk??:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,220 Posts
I have changed the scopes on all my guns to CenterPoint 4-16x40mm, and just love them. Many, if not all, cheap scopes have plastic gears that strip out easily if not extremely careful.

Also, many cheap scopes can't handle the high recoil on high-powered rifles. It has the tendency to jar the reticles off center during the shot and shift the reticle tube against the spring.
I like the centerpoints too.. I have one on my Weatherby .22 and its awesome! (And cheap, got it at walmart)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
Trez said:
I like the centerpoints too.. I have one on my Weatherby .22 and its awesome! (And cheap, got it at walmart)
I dont get it, they are durable lookin yes, but the optics are in no way clear, people do say they seem to hold zero but are fuzzy or hazy in the higher powers, so whats good about a scope that isnt clear ???I just dont get it . And yes i have looked through one, had one on a 22 mag for about an hour. The scope sucked very unclear. So maby my eyes are gettin bad but im just not so sure
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
Muliemaster said:
I dont get it, they are durable lookin yes, but the optics are in no way clear, people do say they seem to hold zero but are fuzzy or hazy in the higher powers, so whats good about a scope that isnt clear ???I just dont get it . And yes i have looked through one, had one on a 22 mag for about an hour. The scope sucked very unclear. So maby my eyes are gettin bad but im just not so sure
The only one I have anymore is the 3-9x32. I have one on my ruger 10/22 tactical hunter and one on my Marlin 882 SS 22 mag. They are a good scope. Its awesomely clear. Then again its not real high magnification
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
Marlinman said:
The only one I have anymore is the 3-9x32. I have one on my ruger 10/22 tactical hunter and one on my Marlin 882 SS 22 mag. They are a good scope. Its awesomely clear. Then again its not real high magnification
I know the 4x16 sucked above 9power
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
Muliemaster said:
I know the 4x16 sucked above 9power
Ya I had one on my mini 14 for a long time. I never used it above 14x and that was only once or twice. Usually it went to 12 and stopped bc I could see well through it at that level.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
0 Posts
I know the 4x16 sucked above 9power
mulie your spot on. the optical quality is where the cheaper scopes are lacking. there is only so far you can go with a cheap scope. some can't handle harder recoiling rifles very long before they suffer internal damage. the longer the distance you're going to shoot, the more you need to spend on higher quality optics.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
axxe55 said:
mulie your spot on. the optical quality is where the cheaper scopes are lacking. there is only so far you can go with a cheap scope. some can't handle harder recoiling rifles very long before they suffer internal damage. the longer the distance you're going to shoot, the more you need to spend on higher quality optics.
Yes sir fully agree but hey what works for us may not for them right. But when im sittin on the side of a mountain after a 5 hr in the dark hike, in -15 degree weather with a 360 class bull blowin snot an pissin all over himself do i want a cheap scope on my rifle hell no.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
Muliemaster said:
Yes sir fully agree but hey what works for us may not for them right. But when im sittin on the side of a mountain after a 5 hr in the dark hike, in -15 degree weather with a 360 class bull blowin snot an pissin all over himself do i want a cheap scope on my rifle hell no.
In that situation the cheapest I'd go is Weaver, Burris, redfield, Nikon, and vortex.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
Muliemaster said:
Yep yep except the nikon.
I like Nikon's but I typed in Pentax and my damn self correcting phone thought I ment Nikon. Nikon is good for around here.......out there not really.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,193 Posts
Marlinman said:
I like Nikon's but I typed in Pentax and my damn self correcting phone thought I ment Nikon. Nikon is good for around here.......out there not really.
I may have just had a bad one tho to pal?? It was very dull as far as clarity, compared it with a couple other brands an wa la it was very dull in low light, becouse of that im not a fan
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,006 Posts
Muliemaster said:
I may have just had a bad one tho to pal?? It was very dull as far as clarity, compared it with a couple other brands an wa la it was very dull in low light, becouse of that im not a fan
Nikon's are like centerpoints to me. 3-9 and 4-12 is great. Beyond 12 or maybe 14 power they start losing that edge. That's why I have the scopes I do. My highest power Nikon i use is 4-12x50. Its on my TC contender 250.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
"How can one tell before buying how much of a problem this is? "

Stiffiling my urge to answer otherwise, I'll just say we can't. Not even IF Wallyworld would allow ua take one outta it's blister pack.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top