Why do cheap scopes lose their sighting when adjusting the magnification?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Nomadjcb, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Nomadjcb

Nomadjcb New Member

Why do cheap scopes lose their sighting when adjusting the magnification?

Does it cause them to pull one way or is it completely unpredictable?

If returned to the orginal position will they still be sighted?

I am on a very tight budget. How can one tell before buying how much of a problem this is?

2. scottmac

scottmac New Member

Try focusing at the highest power, then backing it down. If it stays in focus, then it's good ("parfocal") ... it it falls out of focus (from high mag to low mag), it's poorly designed or defective.

3. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

The internals on cheap optics are very lackin to say the least, single erector systems are common so when u turn the power up the poi changes, but just becouse tight budget dosent mean you cant get lower cost good optics like a sightron, or vortex, nikon pro staff, bushnell, you can find good deals on not so junk scopes

4. Nomadjcb

Nomadjcb New Member

I think I got my answer.

This is called shifting zero.

I think I just got my answer from a post by M14sRock.

5. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I have changed the scopes on all my guns to CenterPoint 4-16x40mm, and just love them. Many, if not all, cheap scopes have plastic gears that strip out easily if not extremely careful.

Also, many cheap scopes can't handle the high recoil on high-powered rifles. It has the tendency to jar the reticles off center during the shot and shift the reticle tube against the spring.

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

99.999999% of the cost of a high-end scope is attributable to the quality of the optics and the precise methods used to grind, curve and polish the lenses. Can you guess where the cost cutting gets done in a low priced scope? The mass produced optics in a cheaper scope simply lack the precision needed to properly collect and focus the light. Aberrations on cheap optics are not unlike a human suffering from an astigmatism.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Because cheap scopes are junk??:p

8. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I like the centerpoints too.. I have one on my Weatherby .22 and its awesome! (And cheap, got it at walmart)

9. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I dont get it, they are durable lookin yes, but the optics are in no way clear, people do say they seem to hold zero but are fuzzy or hazy in the higher powers, so whats good about a scope that isnt clear ???I just dont get it . And yes i have looked through one, had one on a 22 mag for about an hour. The scope sucked very unclear. So maby my eyes are gettin bad but im just not so sure

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

The only one I have anymore is the 3-9x32. I have one on my ruger 10/22 tactical hunter and one on my Marlin 882 SS 22 mag. They are a good scope. Its awesomely clear. Then again its not real high magnification

11. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I know the 4x16 sucked above 9power

12. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya I had one on my mini 14 for a long time. I never used it above 14x and that was only once or twice. Usually it went to 12 and stopped bc I could see well through it at that level.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

mulie your spot on. the optical quality is where the cheaper scopes are lacking. there is only so far you can go with a cheap scope. some can't handle harder recoiling rifles very long before they suffer internal damage. the longer the distance you're going to shoot, the more you need to spend on higher quality optics.

14. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Yes sir fully agree but hey what works for us may not for them right. But when im sittin on the side of a mountain after a 5 hr in the dark hike, in -15 degree weather with a 360 class bull blowin snot an pissin all over himself do i want a cheap scope on my rifle hell no.

15. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

In that situation the cheapest I'd go is Weaver, Burris, redfield, Nikon, and vortex.

16. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Yep yep except the nikon.

17. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I like Nikon's but I typed in Pentax and my damn self correcting phone thought I ment Nikon. Nikon is good for around here.......out there not really.

18. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I may have just had a bad one tho to pal?? It was very dull as far as clarity, compared it with a couple other brands an wa la it was very dull in low light, becouse of that im not a fan

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Nikon's are like centerpoints to me. 3-9 and 4-12 is great. Beyond 12 or maybe 14 power they start losing that edge. That's why I have the scopes I do. My highest power Nikon i use is 4-12x50. Its on my TC contender 250.

20. 1hole

1hole New Member

"How can one tell before buying how much of a problem this is? "

Stiffiling my urge to answer otherwise, I'll just say we can't. Not even IF Wallyworld would allow ua take one outta it's blister pack.