Why do 45acp handguns jam on the last round most of the time when they jam?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by jjones45, Jul 6, 2014.

1. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Well my hk usp 45 compact finally jammed on me the other day. I was a little surprised but I figured it was about time after literally thousands of rounds. It failed to feed on the last round in the mag. This got me to thinking and I had a shocking revelation (not really but it sounds good), of the 45's I own all the malfunctions I could think of were the last round in the mag. Now I know it's definitely time for new springs and followers in my hk's mags as well a a new spring for my rsa, but other malfunctions with other 45's have happen with springs almost brand new. So my question is why are 45's more prone to ftfeed on the last round in the mag than other calibers?

Never enough guns or ammo

2. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

My CZ 97B 45ACP has never jammed, and I have put thousands of rounds through it taking tactical pistol courses.

Maybe you just bought the wrong 45ACP?!

3. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

After a few thousand through my Kimber never had a fail to feed, or eject for that matter (never even loaded the factory mags ) have only used CM power mags.

My xds has had no issues either with just over 2500 through it. ( I did have failure to extract with Tulammo though, case actually was stuck in chamber)

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Two things come into play here:
    #1 Mag spring tired. Last round not pushing up fast enough to be in position when the slide is closing

#2 Last round, gun is lighter (and you are more tired from shooting). Operator induced malfunction because the light gun in a tired hand recoils a bit more and the slide may not cycle correctly on the second to the last round, leading to the FTF on the last round.

Replace the springs and hang on to it.

This is certainly NOT a "problem" with .45 ACP pistols. It just is.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Sounds like limp wrist. More of a control issue.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

But "limp wrist" has such a negative connotation :p

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Could also be a cleaning issue. Many people don't realize that mags should be disassembled and cleaned now and then. I like to lube my followers with graphite.

8. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

Dunno, my G21 has never jammed, I mean NEVER.

9. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Mag problem. Nothing else.
    Bad Follower.
    Weak Spring

A proper grip is important, but shouldn't crop up only on the last round.
    When I had extractor problems, it happened on full, half and last round. No preference for last round.

If you truly can duplicate it with every magazine, then perhaps, the gizmo that catches the slide lock is frizzled. A frizzled gizmo is something to avoid.

10. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Better than jamming on the first

No offense and none taken

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

personally, i have never had an issue with any of my pistols, past or present in 45 acp. some of them even had several thousands of rounds through them with no issues ever.

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Mag issues as try wear. It is also a fat stubby profiled cartridge, compared to others, that has to go up a feed ramp and align with the chamber. It also has little to no taper. Tapered cases and bottle neck rounds have a slight feed reliability advantage by starting into the chamber with a narrower front profile than the hole they are entering.

13. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

I probably have 3000 rounds or so through this gun, give or take a couple hundred. This is the first failure of any kind with this 45. I tried to duplicate this failure again with the same mag by limp wristing to no avail. You guys have never heard people say if you have a ftfeed with a 45 it's probably gonna be the last round? I've heard it many times and I've noticed it a few times when I thought back on it. My mag springs/followers, rsa spring are past due for replacement so that might be the case for this particular pistol, but the others in the past not so much.

Never enough guns or ammo

14. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I think it might be easier for a fat round to get stuck than for a slimmer round. (The rest being equal, such as the spring tension, the bullet head, the chamber, fouling, etc)

15. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Exactly !!!

:D

16. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Now you did it.

17. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

jj Put a new mag spring in it and go back to shoot'n all the rounds. Mine all feed fine , ever the last round.

18. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Not had any issues with my 45s, last round or otherwise. Sounds like a unique problem.

19. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I, like other have had no problem specifically with a .45 jamming on last round.

The magazine is normally at fault. Or maybe you have a H&K.

20. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I am with the magazine school here.

When I first started shooting a 1911, I bought cheap mags and had problems. When I smarted-up and started spending more money on better mags, all of my problems disappeared. Chip McCormick makes good .45 mags, so does Pachmayr, and neither will break the bank.

A 1911's worst enemy is an $8.00 magazine.