Why did Colt stop making DA revolvers?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Winchester94, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

Was it lawsuits? Or another reason?

Sent from my VS840 4G using Firearms Talk mobile app

2. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Not sure why exactly but I get mad every time somebody brings up the subject.

I sold a SS 6" King Cobra LNIB for exactly what I paid for it $375.00 about two months before they made the announcement!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

3. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I learned how to shoot a pistol with a Colt Diamondback and every time I shoot it I think, "Why on earth did they stop making these?!"

4. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Still wish the Pythons were still made.
    Though frankly a modern S&W 686 and Ruger GP100 are probably more functional DA Revolvers

5. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I guess I agree, but I don't think either can touch the looks of any Colt. :)

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Phython was a high priced to build handgun for the amount they sold and it did have some weakness's compared to some others and along with AR rifle contracts and the 1911's that allways sold well. The 44 version was a strong handgun but it never sold real well. It was designed by the same man that designed dan Wesson revolvers.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  7. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Colt revolvers because of the sudden death cylinder lock needed constant repairs. The much vaunted Colt Python when used by police Depts needed to be re-timed every 6 mos. The Colt system because it locks the chamber mouth to the forcing cone only needed slight wear to lock off center and bind the action.
    The S&W revolvers are engineered with just enough play at battery position to freely align the chamber mouth and the forcing cone. This allows the S&W to compensate for wear and ammunition variables in the critical timing of a revolver. Thus the S&W Mdl. 10s and Mdl. 19 etc. sold much better. It is a matter of market choice that put Colt out of the DA revolver competition. :)

8. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

Thanks for all of the info guys. My Diamondback is picky with ammo. After a few cylinders of lrn rounds, the cylinder gets tight and has even locked up. Its got a sweet trigger though.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Colts were really over rated. Colt pistols were used in a lot of popular movies which generated a lot of demand. Several famous Generals carried custom made Colt pistols. Not a lot of people that made a living with a gun prefered Colt pistols.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

they may be over rated, but they were still good pistols and they do command premium prices now. they wouldn't get those higher prices unless they were worth that price.

what is an item worth? whatever the market can stand and people are willing to pay.

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

There was a lawsuit involving a child. Colt is silent on this, AFAIK. It could be a combination of factors, not sure which one was the last straw.

The Pythons were basically handmade. I have no allegiance to Colt, but this one is truly like no other production gun I've ever handled, including other Colt DA's. And I mean mechanically, not just the fit and finish.

Colt was having serious difficulties and AFAIR almost went out of business. Why not resume production now, given that every one made will sell, is a mystery to me too.

12. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

In regards to their semiautos they're terrific! Particularly the Woodsman series.

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Where in the hell does the urban legends come from? No lawsuit over a child had anything to do with the Python being a market failure. Colt offered the old 1890 action slightly "beefed" up. Their Bank vault cylinder lock was subject to wear. The hands had to be changed out like spark plugs in a car quite often. In heavy use the hands needed to be changed every 6 months. This was very expensive for police departments as well as civilians. If the gun was not kept timed the resultant damage was very expensive.
    S&W did not have these problems. They and later on Ruger took over the market with better designed handguns. :)
    They are expensive today because they are a discontued Colt offerings. The prices are driven by gun collectors not shooters. When they were available they did not sell. Had these guns done well in the market place Colt would produce them. Colt is still producing the SAA Mdl. P after 150 years. :)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  14. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I'd never heard of any problems with the Python. Probably because I wasn't alive when the problems were being discovered. I've always wanted one but now I'm thinking twice. Care to explain the extent of the problems that occurred?

15. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

At one time there was a rumor that the new Colt plant being built in Central Florida would produce DA revolvers. As of the last news release it now seems like it will be strictly used for "military weapons" production. Remember, this is the media. I don't know if they meant firearms destined for military only distribution, or if they are talking about the dreaded military assault rifles we all know as ARs.

16. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

The same reason Theres no more Medusas... Colt decided to drop their "newer" designs in favor of their classic ones. (Colt was going to release a version of the Medusa called the Survivor)

Thread here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/colt-real-truth-41329/

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

here is some similiar information i hav found that goes along with what Trez posted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Python#cite_note-hawks-2

In October 1999, Colt Manufacturing Co. announced the termination of its production of Python revolvers. In a 2000 follow-up letter to distributors, the company cited changing market conditions and the costs of defending lawsuits as the reasons for the discontinuation of the Python line as well as a number of other models.[8] The Colt Custom Gun Shop continued making a limited number of Pythons on special order until 2005, when even this limited production was terminated.[2]

18. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

I still wish I hadn't sold my Trooper MK III. One sweet weapon..

19. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

Thanks for the info and links guys. :)

20. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I remember my Grandpa had one with a scope on it. It was a very sweet gun. :)