Why carry without bullet in the chamber?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Graniteman, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Graniteman

Graniteman New Member

Okay so I know a lot of my friends that carry, but don't load a bullet into the chamber. I don't understand the point of carrying if your not ready to fire at all times. I always keep a bullet in the chamber. Is this a common thing to not keep a bullet chambered when carrying?

2. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Perhaps if it were Beirut, this caution

might be necessary. But it isn't.

IT IS, however, a free country, and as

such, when at home, and in many low-level

threat situations, I carry without one in the tube.

I don't hesitate to carry cocked and locked,

when at a filling station at night, or in snake

and gator territory, but I've never had a ND/AD, either.

3. jedibiker

jedibiker New Member

It could be a comfort level, not wanting an accidental discharge, but I'm not a fan. I always carry the same way, with one in the pipe. I want it to ALWAYS be the same. I don't want to hesitate, trying to recall if its loaded. There is enough to focus on in any situation involving pulling a firearm, without adding an extra step of racking the gun.

4. davva360

davva360 New Member

Agree with Jedi. The main thing is to always carry the same way.

Personally I always carry with one in the chamber. I would not want the extra opportunity for something to go wrong that racking the slide could be.

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I agree with Jedibiker. Pick a carry method and stick with it. When you need to defend your life and your gun just goes "click" well, it does't get much worse than that. I carry one in the chamber. If someone wants to have it empty I understand. But I don't switch back and forth.

6. JosephMD

JosephMD New Member

Arragh, backspace, had a nice post but lost it. The point was, being ready has more to do with how you train to handle your firearm in whatever configuration you carry it in than the configuration itself.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

an empty chamber equals a two pound club. not a good thing.

what if one hand or arm was injured, or having to use your free hand to fend off the threat? only leaves one to pull and shoot with, and if you're not chambered, you could be in trouble.

8. vincent

vincent New Member

I think it's a personal preference...

The same as what, where and how you want to carry...:cool:

9. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

I carry un-chambered 99% of the time.. If I'm in the woods(fishing or shooting I'm chambered) if I need to stop after work, after midnight I'm chambered. These things rarely happen.

I look at gun ownership and carrying a lot like riding a motorcycle, lots practice and 100% focus and attention. If one does not have the attention span or wit to remember whether or not he's chambered then perhaps.. Well..

I try hard to practice what I preach, making routine of carrying.. Like stated above, choose what makes you feel comfortable, learn it, practice it, live it..

I refuse to live in a world of 'ifs and buts'
    My father always says 'if ifs and but were candy and nuts, oh what a Christmas it would be...'

10. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I carry with one in the chamber with the safety on. In a stressful threat situation, I'd be concerned about keeping my wits about me enough to chamber a round.

11. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

Why carry a gun that is not loaded? It takes a prep on average of 1.5 seconds to attack from 21 ft., my best draw and fire time in a training environment was 1.3 seconds and would leave no time to chamber a round. I guess in your friends case he will use the gun as a club.

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

I agree. One in the torpedo tube. One less that that can go wrong.

Not trying to start anything, but I apply the same logic to a thumb safety (unless the gun is single action only - too short a trigger pull to not use the safety).

13. mahall

mahall New Member

Takes valuable seconds to load the chamber! Not a gamble worth taking when your life could be on the line!! No safety engaged, full mag and one in the chamber is the only way to carry in my opinion!!

14. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

In several years in the repossession(cars, considered a dangerous job), I found myself in need if a gun twice.

The first time was very early on and didn't own a gun and was forced to literally drag a Volvo station wagon 5 miles to the local police department, never picked up another without a a gun, a Glock 21 I purchased in short order the next day.

Second time I was being threatened with being shot from across the road, as the man approached I stepped calmly to the door of my truck and very deliberately racked the slide on my 21 as I turned around and Mr Bad *** was making a U-Turn and heading back home. I continued strapping the navigator down and went on about my business..

My point you ask? A lot of times when the potential bad guy realizes you're armed they turn tail and a potentially bad situation can be diffused.. Carrying a gun is a huge responsibility, one not to be taken lightly, we're obligated as such in most states to avoid or diffuse a situation whenever we can.

In my first example I was shot at and within my rights to shoot back had I had gun, but that experience didn't give me the right to shot the next man simply because he spoke threateningly.

Sometimes that extra second can make the difference in making a mistake that will change your life and theirs forever.

I hold no fault in carrying 'hot', it's your gun and your choice, I just say be sure to make the right choice. :cool:

15. mahall

mahall New Member

Oh I'm in the opinion that drawing your gun can often avoid trouble!! Some are taught that if the situation is bad enough to draw it demands an automatic shot!! I think that is foolish thinking!! However, if the decision is made after drawing to fire, I damn sure don't want to have to take the time to chamber a round!! Precious seconds are wasted plus its not 100% given, that the weapon is going to chamber correctly!! Just to much to chance in my opinion!! I carry a small 9mm with a long trigger pull, virtually impossible for an accidental discharge!!

16. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

My thoughts, too. :confused:

Anyway, while I was visiting Cane last month, we discussed this very issue. Here is what 'The Wise Man' said to me.

"I know people say it only takes a heartbeat to rack the slide of their gun to put one in the chamber and I say to them, that just might be your last heartbeat."

Lesson learned and understood. :cool:

17. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

I can see that! I carry a Kimber 1911, a short, quick trigger, which creates its own issues.
    Everyone has their reasons for the way they carry and none are exactly right or wrong..

18. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Well spoken.

19. mahall

mahall New Member

For that movement, less than a second but people never think about the time it takes to zero in on the target again! Probably another second! 2 seconds, as an example is an eternity in a life threatening situation!

20. therewolf

therewolf New Member

What exciting lives you all must lead!

In 55 years, I've never had to mortally

defend myself with anything. I highly

doubt I'll have to kill anybody now.

With anything, a pipe, crowbar, hammer,

nailclippers, or a tube of toothpaste; let

alone a gun.

I find a CCW license makes my life easier,

especially if I'm out of town. I don't have to make a

return a week later to pick up my new to me pistol for