Firearms Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so like a lot of people in this world where this Chinese bug has affected how we live and what we can and can't do due to lockdowns etc 1 does tend to get a bit bored because 1 can't get out to get the smell of burnt powder in the morning so 1 tends to get a bit bored.
And as the title says it's bad being bored because then you tend to start looking at things like gun forums and in particular the for sale sections for something to buy or do as a project because your bored senseless and anything is better than doing stuff around the house.

Sooooooo............................about 2 weeks ago I was looking at things on the Aussie hunting forum I'm on and 1 of the members had come into possession of a 92 model Win 44/40 with a buggered stock and a few small parts missing but he was going to machine up and replace along with making a new stock. At this stage I looked at it with passing interest and asked a question or 2 especially about the stock and parts and he said he was thinking of repairing and replacing those parts if somebody wanted the rifle which I might add wasn't in real good condition going on the pictures OR just putting it for sale as is.
I already have a 30/30 and 45/70 and have no real need of a 44/40 but now my next biggest problem is the Minister For War,Finance and Nagging finding out as I generally tend to run the CIA best practice of "NEED TO KNOW" or plausible deniability both which are good things but when dealing with upper management and money and already having a few more guns than she thinks I own this is going to turn into a SPECOPS DARK NIGHT thing.

We got to talking off line and he said he would fix up the missing parts and I asked if he could do the stock as well as I haven't got the gear or the ability to make a new stock and he said he'd get back to me.

A few days later he emailed me and said he would make a new stock and then we could see what it was worth.
I agreed and he came back to me yesterday with pictures of the rifle that he had also strip blasted and cerakoted plus a new stock so we started to haggle and as you do I gave him a price to which he said no to but offered a price about $100 more than what I asked to which I agreed including postage so now the hassles start as it has to come from Tasmania up here to New South Wales and I also have to put in a Permit To Acquire which can take anything up to 2 weeks before I can own this thing.

My thoughts now are do I get this thing up here, fire a few shots with factory ammo and or hand load for it and then on sell it for more money with dies included and use the money for other weapons acquisitions or do I keep it and work on "He who dies with the most toys win?" theory?

So here is some before and after pictures of said dilemma,

Wood Trigger Hardwood Wood stain Artifact

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Looks like he did a nice job on it .
Those are fun shooters .
Tough for me to relate to bored . I keep busy every day getting into something to stay busy . The simple jobs are what seems to take the longest & cost the most .
No upper management here so can have as many toys as I want . :p And I do have a few . :)

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
Well, im glad it was something reasonable. When i saw the title i was thinking it was a "hold me beer" moment. 😁
I'm not sure about laws there, but that receiver scares me. (Maybe its the pics?) Thinking about selling it with handloaded ammo scares me even more.
If you don't want/need it, heck yeah trade or sell it off.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, im glad it was something reasonable. When i saw the title i was thinking it was a "hold me beer" moment. 😁
I'm not sure about laws there, but that receiver scares me. (Maybe its the pics?) Thinking about selling it with handloaded ammo scares me even more.
If you don't want/need it, heck yeah trade or sell it off.
The bloke who I'm dealing with pm'd me yesterday and said that there could be a feeding issue with it so he said to hold off till he sorted that out.
Good of him to say so as there's some that would've let the rifle go and not say a thing but he had the decency to say so.

Also the hunting forum that he and I are on don't take to nicely to people doing nasty things like that and do all they can to fix the situation but the vast majority of members are basically good blokes and women and hold decent values and any that join and lets say become arseholes soon get booted.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
The bloke who I'm dealing with pm'd me yesterday and said that there could be a feeding issue with it so he said to hold off till he sorted that out.
Good of him to say so as there's some that would've let the rifle go and not say a thing but he had the decency to say so.
That is relatively uncommon, in my experience. Have gotten a few items that were pre-owned and one or more unspecified issues came along for the ride, with the gun.

Once had a mid-grade 1911 pistol that I sold off, which had some cycling issues. Informed the buyer, showed the range logs and clear evidence of the jams that occurred with some frequency, along with indication that it had been back to the maker a couple times but the issue hadn't been corrected. The guy still gave me grief. But the info was provided and it was part of the reason for the decent price on the thing. I couldn't do it any other way. Wouldn't, though as you say there are some who'd have sold the thing with nary a peep.

It'll be fun to see how your new rifle ends up. Definitely interested in plenty of pics once you've gotten everything shooting well.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is relatively uncommon, in my experience. Have gotten a few items that were pre-owned and one or more unspecified issues came along for the ride, with the gun.

Once had a mid-grade 1911 pistol that I sold off, which had some cycling issues. Informed the buyer, showed the range logs and clear evidence of the jams that occurred with some frequency, along with indication that it had been back to the maker a couple times but the issue hadn't been corrected. The guy still gave me grief. But the info was provided and it was part of the reason for the decent price on the thing. I couldn't do it any other way. Wouldn't, though as you say there are some who'd have sold the thing with nary a peep.

It'll be fun to see how your new rifle ends up. Definitely interested in plenty of pics once you've gotten everything shooting well.
It'll get some range time just to make sure it does work and how it shoots groups with factory and handloads then after that I'll make my decision. I have mentioned to another mate about it and if he's interested to buy it but that will depend on what happens with this latest issue and whether it can be fixed or not.

Of course the old rule about not shooting the donor rifle will apply here as well even though I have no plans to convert it to anything else so we'll see what happens.
There will of course be the obligatory pictures if and when it gets to me and what it does punching holes in paper and hopefully critters.

·
Supporting Member
12,913 Posts
hairbbear
My only concern is if the outside is pitted that bad how bad did it get on the inside parts. I cant imagine anyone not taking better care of a weapon. Those Pits are some deep Pits! And what about the Bore and Riflings?????:rolleyes:

But as far as being bored yes it can have its problems!
More time to dream look at magazines and TV Adds! Resulting in more dreams of things we might have to have! And have caught my self in the past ordering goodies on line!:p
I do not want to overwork so I limit myself to a max of two projects per day!;)
Today it was spraying some grass growing up in the driveway and putting the Hose in a large Flower Basket on the Porch! WHEEEEW!
Letting the Wife run the Business! But she likes to do it and she is good at it. I just get in her way and do not need to loose anymore Good Boy Points anyway!;)
But tonight for all my hard work today I will have to have a couple of Jim Beam Black drinks to Celebrate! While watching TV!
Oh I forgot, I did check out all my cleaning supplies today. Patches, Brushes and all.
One of my soon coming projects is my yearly cleaning of all the unfired guns in the safes. I always clean and lube them after I shoot them so they are clean. But just to be sure they are OK! I pull them out swab the Barrels with good old Hoppes #9. Dry Patch them and run a Lube Patch through them. And of course wipe off and lube the outside!
Now that is a job! WHEEEW! Don't want to over due it!:p

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hairbbear
My only concern is if the outside is pitted that bad how bad did it get on the inside parts. I cant imagine anyone not taking better care of a weapon. Those Pits are some deep Pits! And what about the Bore and Riflings?????:rolleyes:

But as far as being bored yes it can have its problems!
More time to dream look at magazines and TV Adds! Resulting in more dreams of things we might have to have! And have caught my self in the past ordering goodies on line!:p
I do not want to overwork so I limit myself to a max of two projects per day!;)
Today it was spraying some grass growing up in the driveway and putting the Hose in a large Flower Basket on the Porch! WHEEEEW!
Letting the Wife run the Business! But she likes to do it and she is good at it. I just get in her way and do not need to loose anymore Good Boy Points anyway!;)
But tonight for all my hard work today I will have to have a couple of Jim Beam Black drinks to Celebrate! While watching TV!
Oh I forgot, I did check out all my cleaning supplies today. Patches, Brushes and all.
One of my soon coming projects is my yearly cleaning of all the unfired guns in the safes. I always clean and lube them after I shoot them so they are clean. But just to be sure they are OK! I pull them out swab the Barrels with good old Hoppes #9. Dry Patch them and run a Lube Patch through them. And of course wipe off and lube the outside!
Now that is a job! WHEEEW! Don't want to over due it!:p

The bore is apparently in good shape according to the bloke and at this stage I would believe him because the Aussie hunting forum I'm on will not tolerate it's members being ripped off by other members and in general 99.9% of the members are good people and those that try any funny stuff are banned instantly and the mods will try and get any money back if they can.

The rifle was a deceased estate or something to that effect so it is what it is unfortunately but if it does a come back from the dead and turns out to be something reasonably decent then that's arifle that will live on for a bit longer in an old calibre.

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Hairbear, don't know your age but at 72, my "world" is pretty well full of "projects" such as this. They start off fun and interesting 'til that one or two missing parts show themselves. Oddly, the parts I need are the same ones everyone else needs. Were it not for the internet, most projects would remain unfinished 'til my estate sale. Once I have bought the parts, I usually end up with something worth about 3/4 of what I've invested. I live for that "Michelangelo Moment" when you look at a 20-year-old completed project and say to yourself "Yeah, I did that." Most started out as junk but end up as junk that works again.

I hope someday to lay a big tarp on the lawn, lay out all my stuff in one place and take a photo. With my luck, it'd come up a rain. Buy that gun - it'll look good at your estate sale.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hairbear, don't know your age but at 72, my "world" is pretty well full of "projects" such as this. They start off fun and interesting 'til that one or two missing parts show themselves. Oddly, the parts I need are the same ones everyone else needs. Were it not for the internet, most projects would remain unfinished 'til my estate sale. Once I have bought the parts, I usually end up with something worth about 3/4 of what I've invested. I live for that "Michelangelo Moment" when you look at a 20-year-old completed project and say to yourself "Yeah, I did that." Most started out as junk but end up as junk that works again.

I hope someday to lay a big tarp on the lawn, lay out all my stuff in one place and take a photo. With my luck, it'd come up a rain. Buy that gun - it'll look good at your estate sale.
I'm 62 mate be 63 in January and I hear what you saying about projects. It seems that every time I look at a project parts or something else buggers up the idea.
I shudder to think of the junk I've got and unfortunately being an ex mechanic you develop this hoarder mentality of "I may need that one day" and then in a major moment of cleaning out "junk" you throw stuff out and then Murphy's Law kicks in not long after you throw "junk" out.
The other side of this cleanout is that you find stuff that you had put down or away in safe place so as you can find it again and don't............................till you have this big cleanout.

I'm not sure if I'll keep this old timer yet but once I get my grubby paws on it and fire a few shots I'll make a call then but I do have a mate who may be interested in it as he only has a .223 so this would be the ideal scrub gun for grunters.

As for junk that never realizes what you think it's worth compared to what it is worth take an engine for instance........................I have a 350 Chev 2 bolt mains engine here that needs a stem to stern rebuild and my thoughts are to build it up and then flog it off BUT you can get a crate engine for about the same money if not better and with more grunt. It needs a rebore, heads, cam, intake manifold(still have original),sump as it was an ex boat engine,carby etc.
Trouble is now the big rage is fuel injection but there's still those of us who appreciate the roar of an engine when the secondary's open up and you get that sweet deep throated growl that only a carby gives an engine.

·
Premium Member
2,089 Posts
I'm 62 mate be 63 in January and I hear what you saying about projects. It seems that every time I look at a project parts or something else buggers up the idea.
I shudder to think of the junk I've got and unfortunately being an ex mechanic you develop this hoarder mentality of "I may need that one day" and then in a major moment of cleaning out "junk" you throw stuff out and then Murphy's Law kicks in not long after you throw "junk" out.
The other side of this cleanout is that you find stuff that you had put down or away in safe place so as you can find it again and don't............................till you have this big cleanout.

I'm not sure if I'll keep this old timer yet but once I get my grubby paws on it and fire a few shots I'll make a call then but I do have a mate who may be interested in it as he only has a .223 so this would be the ideal scrub gun for grunters.

As for junk that never realizes what you think it's worth compared to what it is worth take an engine for instance........................I have a 350 Chev 2 bolt mains engine here that needs a stem to stern rebuild and my thoughts are to build it up and then flog it off BUT you can get a crate engine for about the same money if not better and with more grunt. It needs a rebore, heads, cam, intake manifold(still have original),sump as it was an ex boat engine,carby etc.
Trouble is now the big rage is fuel injection but there's still those of us who appreciate the roar of an engine when the secondary's open up and you get that sweet deep throated growl that only a carby gives an engine.
Buy that crate engine! Sell the old girl to someone younger that thinks they can save some money.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hairbear
Being bored worked out well for you , this China virus will pass if they let it but it's a way of control. It's like living in the twilight zone. Being bored and with the shortages in powder , bullets and primers , even loaded ammo. I got into air rifles " pellet guns" just as big as benchrest shooting and reloading, I never knew it was so popular. Guess good things can happen in crappy situations. Be Safe out there.
Chris

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
So, HairBear, you've inspired me to "complete" another project - a .58 caliber "Buffalo Hunter" M/L from the 60's to the point that last night I loaded 'er up with a light load and let it rip. Rescued via an internet auction a few weeks ago, made a new ramrod, mended cracks, "Kroiled" the rust away, scrubbed the bore, etc. it's a shooter once more - now, faced with finding ammo - the quest for a decent Minie mold and sizing die is upon me. Thankfully, I have the sizing die on order.

Don't know your circumstances, but around here 44/40 ammo isn't very common. Uncommon calibers tend to be "seasonal run" stuff by ammo makers (like hardly ever). Odd calibers are the last to leave the shelves and last to be re-stocked.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, HairBear, you've inspired me to "complete" another project - a .58 caliber "Buffalo Hunter" M/L from the 60's to the point that last night I loaded 'er up with a light load and let it rip. Rescued via an internet auction a few weeks ago, made a new ramrod, mended cracks, "Kroiled" the rust away, scrubbed the bore, etc. it's a shooter once more - now, faced with finding ammo - the quest for a decent Minie mold and sizing die is upon me. Thankfully, I have the sizing die on order.

Don't know your circumstances, but around here 44/40 ammo isn't very common. Uncommon calibers tend to be "seasonal run" stuff by ammo makers (like hardly ever). Odd calibers are the last to leave the shelves and last to be re-stocked.
44/40 ammo is still available even brass so that's not a problem at this stage.
Good to see another old clunker saved from eternity as well. Boredom for we gun owners can be very expensive once we enter the gun shop sites and start looking at things we shouldn't and then ...................a new project arrives at the door.

Every man should have a vice/hobby...........................trouble is that vice can be a very expensive vice/hobby especially if it means hiding it from the Minister for War, Finance and Nagging.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
I have a circa 1979 win 94 project minus wood.
Its a challange with busted upper tang that was riveted (then busted) the receiver is centired metal stuff.
In order to get the tang angle correct I need a stock.
And for a thrashed barreled action to purchase a deluxe wood set is outside my scope (reasonable price wood stocks are on back order).
So I guess I could purchase wood and make my own, the problem is in order to get the correct drop and lop I need deminsions.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well it looks like this isn't going to happen the bloke can't get it to feed properly so he's refunding my money and going to strip it out for parts.

Oh well there's always something that'll pop up in the future I suppose. Might be a good time to start thinking about starting my 458 AccRel project that's been sitting around for the past 10+ years as I have the barrel and a M98 action to use so it might be time to start that and get it up and running.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts