why are sawed off shotguns illegal

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by clip11, Jun 1, 2010.

1. clip11

clip11 New Member

I just need an answer to the above question

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Because they're cool. Honestly, I don't know.

3. WannaGator

WannaGator New Member

My Understanding

My Understanding is they weren't untill the 1950's or '60's.

When they were filming the TV series "Wanted Dead Or Alive" they had problems with the BATF about Steve Mcqueen's "sawed off" rifle.

I remeber reading about a LEO who carried a sawed off double barell 10 gauge shotgun it was said that he never had to fire it in anger.

The BATF forced him to not use it.

I don't know why they are illegal, maybe because they are so effective?

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I think you've got it!! :D

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You have to go back to the End of Prohibition and the National Firearms Act of 1934.

The US Attorney at the time, some guy named Homer something or other, wanted to put an end to the ability of "Gangster's & other criminals" to securely hide and carry powerful weapons to commit crimes with in their travels.

Essentially, if the weapon was not a pistol or revolver, and it could be concealed easily under modern clothing, it was to be legislated, required to have a Federal Approval in the way of the infamous $200 tax Stamp ( a ton of money at the time ) and would be regulated to only the few.

Originally asshat wanted to include pistols & revolvers and thus make every firearm strictly regulated by the government, but it was quickly learned that would be in violation of 2A, so the sneaky effer, who was probably a kid toucher to boot :rolleyes:, snuck the 18 inch requirement through without much of a hitch.

It's been "modified" a couple of times, but the requirement has stuck for 76 stupid years. :mad:

JD

6. WannaGator

WannaGator New Member

That provision needs kicked into the ashbin of history.

Guns don't kill Goverments do.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I would argue they are not illegal, just regulated. Yes, the States declare short barrelled shotguns unlawful, but they cannot ilegallize what the feds have licensed. In Texas, a shotgun with a barrel shorter than 18" is a Prohibited Weapon, but if it is properly registered (taxed) through the Feds, the Federal law trumps the State law. This is a concept foreign to many police officers who cannot understand the concept of Federal preemption.

9. bkt

bkt New Member

Why are automatic knives (switchblades) banned in many places where fixed-blade knives are legal?

Answer: because legislators are morons.

Nine times out of ten, the arguments legislators present to ban this or that is based entirely on emotion and not fact.

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yeah, I would say "many police officers" would also include the FBI when you factor in Randy Weaver and shotguns in question for Ruby Ridge.

Clearly those were illegal enough, or illegally modified enough, to warrant way too much attention over what was a very minor infraction. :eek:

While I would still stand by the fact that they are illegal, considering history supprounding them, I would agree with you Robo.

JD

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Hey! Barrel Shrouds, "those shoulder things that go up", CLEARLY present a menace and need to be stamped out! :rolleyes::eek:

Rep Carolyn McCarthy ladies and gentlemen...

12. bkt

bkt New Member

Yeah, exactly. And it gets worse in NYS, but that's my problem. The thing is, many laws at the Federal level are contrived by folks no brighter than Ms. McCarthy.

(JD...you got any legislators you want to trade?)

13. bigbad-ratman

bigbad-ratman New Member

That was my Grandad!!! Actually he was a former county marshall and it was a 12 gauge. He was a soft spoken man, and the joke at his funeral was that he never had to say much cause he carried the sawed off on his belt.

As far as the legality, don't get it. I can conceal all 3 of my pistols in jeans and a t-shirt. Can't do that with a sawed off.

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You can have my Governor, Chris Gregoire. She has run our state into the ground and we now have a monumental deficit that will likely result in an increase to income tax.

Or you can have Maria Cant(vote)well. She is a real winner. I am pretty sure she may have a worse voting record than our POTUS. :eek:

The real kick in the balls, much like you have there, is that there are only about 3 counties that vote for their ilk. The rest of the counties are wide spread RED, but no where near the voters of, say, King County. :mad:

15. SHAMUSPI

SHAMUSPI New Member

During the original Supreme Court case in the early 1930's, the plaintiff (Miller vs US) had already died, and his lawyer failed to show up before the court. Their arguement WOULD have been that a sawed off shotgun was instrumental in trench warfare of WW1, and therefore was a militia weapon, but without anyone to argue the case.........

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  16. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Think his name was Homer Secksuel...:eek:

17. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Nothing is as dumb as the Jersey legislature banning so-called "cop killer" hollow points for carry due to their "armor piercing capability."

18. TheDaggle

TheDaggle New Member

wut?

*tsk tsk*

:D

19. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

A favorite weapon of the old school Italian mafia types was a double barreled sawed off shotty called a lupar (I believe). During prohibition, the fight became more about the US Treasury versus what they thought was the illegal alcohol big guys. That was the organized crime groups, and the biggest was seen as the Italian Mob. They went after many things, but one that stuck was their choice of weapons.

But, yes, shortened long guns are regulated. With some extra time and money, you can have one that is regarded as legal.

20. doctherock

doctherock New Member

She is almost as big a douche nozzle as Oregon's fine leader, excuse me blind follower.